Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Without A Science @ LC

Options
  • 04-03-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Ok so back in third year when I picked my LC subjects nobody told me that I had to have a science subject, I know this is not the case for UL but i was hoping to go else where but anyway whats done is done nearly two years later. I'm in 5th year now and I'm seriously regretting not picking a science for LC, especially Physics as I'm good at maths.

Has anybody done Eng without a science in UL and got on fine?? (My careers teaching is in my ear about getting a career path chosen, well roughly anyway) Namely Aeronautical Eng.. Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

hi im curently in 2nd year mech eng i did both physics and applyed maths for the Lc
    and you realy doint need physics for the course but i would recomend that you do applyed maths
    its not to late if your only in 5th year i only started to do it at the begining of 6th year .
    i have found it more use full than physics any way .
    (Ps aro mech and bio eng are the same for first year )

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

As far as I know (although I had the physics also), the requirement is a lab subject, which also includes Construction Studies and Engineering. This was certainly the case when I applied to the CAO, however that may have changed. What course were you considering?

Edit: I've just re-read your post and saw the piece re. the Aero Eng... If you look at this years prospectus it'll tell you what the exact requirements are. Applied maths will be a big help, and you should really be working as hard as possible to do well in honours maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I'm an A/B student at Hons.Maths and work very hard at it. I do Construction Studies and DCG so they get me in to the course but my question is (sorry if I was unclear at the start) will i be at a disadvantage having not done physics or applied maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

You won't be at a disadvantage as such, you'll just have to work a little bit harder than others for the 1st semester, but after that it'll all pretty much even out.

Double check that the DCG and Construction Studies constitute as 'lab' subjects for your entry requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Physics would always be an advantage going into an engineering course but its not vital as they will go over much of the leaving cert in the first semester of first year. If your good with maths then physics will come easily enough to you, if you do find your struggling there is a fantastic Science Learning Center where you can just drop in and a tutor will go over stuff with you one on one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

In addition, applicants are required to hold at least the following in the Leaving Certificate (or an approved equivalent): Grade C3 in Higher level Mathematics and a grade D3 in a Higher or Ordinary Level paper in any one of the following:Applied Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Physics with Chemistry, Engineering,Technical Drawing/Design & Communication Graphics, Technology, Biology,Agricultural Science.

I have DCG so I'm sorted. Hope if I end up picking eng that its not too hard, that science centre sounds great!

Advertisement