Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

french college?

Options
  • 04-03-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Does any one know if there is such thing as a french college...the equivilent to an irish college..during the summer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=french+summer+colleges+ireland

Euro Languages College

Don't know if theres a place where you stay for a week or 2 like the gaeltacht if thats what you mean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 XxXSarahXxX

thanks
    ya thats what id like to do, spend a week or two away:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Maybe This then?

looks good although i wouldnt be willing to go abroad.. thanks for all the links tho...really helpful:D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

yea i went to the one in Galway last year
    It was really good! Bita banter!
    got my French mocks back there the other day and I got 80
    Elc seemed to have worked!
    bring a stash of food though i was hungry ALL the time!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Conor108 wrote: »
    Maybe This then?
    God, that does look like fun, I'd almost set aside my dislike of French.

Fair few bob in the current climate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

There's a guy in Ireland setting up one of those except instead of surfing you'll be filling in potholes. About the same price too

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

There's one in Limerick as far as I know...

looks good thanks

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Being honest I went to the ELC over the summer and didn't like it. I really don't like being told what to do by somebody who is the same age as me. I thought the activities got kinda boring after 2 weeks. 3 hours of french class in the morning sucks too. Not only that but I didn't improve in french that much either according to the test they make you do. It was fun enough the first week, but honestly I was just counting down the seconds to go home. I wasn't the only that thought that either.... but some people did think it was really good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I'm actually in agreement with the above post. I went to Euro Languages in Clongowes, and I didn't think it was worthwhile in terms of improving my French. Maybe it was Clongowes in particular, as it was a huge course. (I think it was over the 100 mark, where usually it's 60 everywhere else) Also If you're near Dublin there's the urge to go home on Sundays, so you speak less French (Having said that I was so glad to go home on sundays).

I'd say really the best thing to do is to go to France for a few weeks, maybe as an au-pair?...and see if you can do a course over there as well. If you want to say in Ireland maybe do a summer course in the alliance francaise. There is one in Cork. www.alliance-francaise.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

ELC is the banter, you meet some absolute legends there. In terms of learning for me, at the time I was there I thought I learned nothing but when I went back to school in 6th year, I realised that my general understanding of French had improved a LOT....whether that was due to ELC or not I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

ELC is supposed to be good if you're enthusiastic, willing to learn and up for anything. I don't know much about the Clongowes one but I heard the one in Galway is supposed to be good. Also, the classes will all be relevant to the JC/LC, always a plus.

If you were being very adventurous I'd go with au-pairing and check ut some sites online because most are food and board with a small salary. Look up some agencies but I think it might be an idea to get a friend to go along to that with you, in case there's any problems or whatever you'll have someone to go to nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

ELC is supposed to be good if you're enthusiastic, willing to learn and up for anything. I don't know much about the Clongowes one but I heard the one in Galway is supposed to be good. Also, the classes will all be relevant to the JC/LC, always a plus.

If you were being very adventurous I'd go with au-pairing and check ut some sites online because most are food and board with a small salary. Look up some agencies but I think it might be an idea to get a friend to go along to that with you, in case there's any problems or whatever you'll have someone to go to nearby.

.. I didn't even do French. The only reason this is getting thanked is because of your username. Kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

zoom! wrote: »
    Being honest I went to the ELC over the summer and didn't like it. I really don't like being told what to do by somebody who is the same age as me. I thought the activities got kinda boring after 2 weeks. 3 hours of french class in the morning sucks too. Not only that but I didn't improve in french that much either according to the test they make you do. It was fun enough the first week, but honestly I was just counting down the seconds to go home. I wasn't the only that thought that either.... but some people did think it was really good.

what college did you go to???
    does anyone know does the price really matter or which course is the best?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lis__2010

Is went to one last year except it was in the south of France. It's called crea langues and it was brilliant it really improed my French, it's quite expensive though my whole trip cost nearly 2000 but it was on a scholarship from he school, but it really is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

I have done both the Euro Languages course and an abroad language trip with Living languages. The latter was by far the better course.

Elc was good but if you really want to learn french the Living Languages is the best. It is very intense though and not for the faint hearted. You stay in a french boarding school with 10 other students form Ireland, you have about 8 hours of classes a day and at the end of the course you sit a mock leaving cert exam and do a real LC oral with an actual examiner.

I cannot stress how beneficial it was to my french. The school you attend is based on an exam taken in March. So everyone in your course will be to your standard. It isnt all work and no play though you have you evenings free and a couple of hours during the day when the weather is too hot to go to the local town. All the schools afaik are in towns.

If you need anymore info on this just pm it is totally worth attending. It is very expensive though

green909 wrote: »
    I have done both the Euro Languages course and an abroad language trip with Living languages. The latter was by far the better course.

Elc was good but if you really want to learn french the Living Languages is the best. It is very intense though and not for the faint hearted. You stay in a french boarding school with 10 other students form Ireland, you have about 8 hours of classes a day and at the end of the course you sit a mock leaving cert exam and do a real LC oral with an actual examiner.

I cannot stress how beneficial it was to my french. The school you attend is based on an exam taken in March. So everyone in your course will be to your standard. It isnt all work and no play though you have you evenings free and a couple of hours during the day when the weather is too hot to go to the local town. All the schools afaik are in towns.

If you need anymore info on this just pm it is totally worth attending. It is very expensive though

thanks for that where about in france was it and is there a website??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

Here is the website http://www.livinglanguage.ie/

The schools AFAIK are mostly in the North of France.

I went to ELC too, In Ennnis though.

I had great craic tbh, but in no way did it improve my french.
    I think it was around a grand or a little over.

It'd be cheaper & more worthwhile if you actually went to france. You'd learn a lot more & quicker too.

(Agreed about the food, bring drink too for those gay ass discos!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mkeano

Does any one know if there is such thing as a french college...the equivilent to an irish college..during the summer

I signed up to do a film course this summer in this college in Dun Laoghaire but they do language courses too, 4 weeks intensive in French, German and Spanish plus 6 months access to Rosetta Stone language software.

http://www.digitalmediacourses.net/languages.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Hey OP. If you want to learn French and get a cheap holiday thrown in the mix, might I suggest an exchange? I did one last summer, ma correspondant came here for 3 weeks and then I went back to France with her for 3 weeks. Got to stay in Cannes during July, it was amazing. And my French improved so much. I would totally recommend it. Cost about €300 in total - flights, registration etc.

green909 wrote: »
    Here is the website http://www.livinglanguage.ie/

The schools AFAIK are mostly in the North of France.

thanks for that
    woo thats expensive!:o;)

djcervi wrote: »
    I'm actually in agreement with the above post. I went to Euro Languages in Clongowes, and I didn't think it was worthwhile in terms of improving my French. Maybe it was Clongowes in particular, as it was a huge course. (I think it was over the 100 mark, where usually it's 60 everywhere else) Also If you're near Dublin there's the urge to go home on Sundays, so you speak less French (Having said that I was so glad to go home on sundays).

I'd say really the best thing to do is to go to France for a few weeks, maybe as an au-pair?...and see if you can do a course over there as well. If you want to say in Ireland maybe do a summer course in the alliance francaise. There is one in Cork. www.alliance-francaise.ie

did many people speck english and was there many people sent home??:eek:

Advertisement