Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NYPD: Arrest quotas

• 04-03-2010 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

A former former police officer from NYPD claims there are arrest quotas that pushes police officers to arrest people who are innocent just to meet these quotas.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMco2HBQQd4

So the job of the NYPD is not to serve and protect but meeting arrest quotas.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Most police forces function in the same manner, its all about the money, the police are less inclined to arrest you if they cant Fine you.

I believe the Gardai call the Quota concept a 'Return of Work' or somesuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

your right coat all police forces do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Yes it is to be expected these days.Garda probalby have the same thing.
    If the gardai are in a company and their job is to sell tickets any way possible it would make sense to the company to give incentives to gardai out "enforcing" tickets.
    A court of law is only there to conduct business.Thats how every fine or ticket is inacted through your agreement to do business with a gardai or court ussually.
    If you google video John harris he covers alot of info on this stuff.
    In britain they call the police "police officers" and i think they also have other types of officers.Basically a policeman would police an area to protect the community and citizens.A police officer conducts business and imo a garda is the same as a police officer.I just havent looked into why they didnt change the name also.

A side note. If a garda asks you "do you understand",it means he is asking you "do you stand under my authority?" Asking this is a sure sign they are seeking to contract you for business.(another sign they might have a qouta?why be so sneaky?)
    Since i learned this i stay away from police as much as possible.
    I have seen them many times breaking the law to enforce tickets.
    But dont let me scare you. i believe most are ok,just a little misguided.
    Like a monkey with a tazer.The same way you dont give a monkey a tazer to play with,you shouldnt give gardai the authority to arrest etc until they know ALL rights involved.
    If they do already know, then i was wrong and they are more like monkey's than i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Torakx wrote: »
    A side note. If a garda asks you "do you understand",it means he is asking you "do you stand under my authority?" Asking this is a sure sign they are seeking to contract you for business.(another sign they might have a qouta?why be so sneaky?)

Or he's asking if you understand. How you made that jump baffles me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Oh well Gardaí defently do that, they have to get quotas for speed offenses so they station themselves at slip roads where they know they'll get a load of speeders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

A side note. If a garda asks you "do you understand",it means he is asking you "do you stand under my authority?" Asking this is a sure sign they are seeking to contract you for business.

er..what? explain this please

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Oh well Gardaí defently do that, they have to get quotas for speed offenses so they station themselves at slip roads where they know they'll get a load of speeders

So they go places where people speed in order to catch people speeding. This is wrong how?

RoboClam wrote: »
    So they go places where people speed in order to catch people speeding. This is wrong how?

I think the point is that they go places to catch people, not for reasons of safety, but to make money from fines. Think we all know of spots where this happens.

Or he's asking if you understand. How you made that jump baffles me.
    The word also means to gain knowledge of.
    To say you understand to an officer of the law is to make an agreement with him as well as stating you understand him in the common sense of the word. If you are under an agreement he has already contracted you and will control the situation in a legal sense.

From Black's Law dictionary 8th edition
    UNDERSTANDING
    understanding,n.1. The process of comprehending; the act of a person who understands
    something. 2. One's personal interpretation of an event or occurrence. 3. An agreement, esp. of an
    implied or tacit nature.

Notice tacit means silent,unspoken,implied.
    This is what the legal world use when talking to you.Its another form of english with special meanings for words.

VEHICLE
    vehicle (vee-<<schwa>>-k<<schwa>>l), n.1. Something used as an instrument of conveyance. 2. Any conveyance used in transporting passengers or things by land, water, or air.

CONVEY
    convey,vb. To transfer or deliver (something, such as a right or property) to another, esp. by
    deed or other writing; esp., to perform an act that is intended to create one or more property
    interests, regardless of whether the act is actually effective to create those interests.

DELIVERY
    delivery,n.1. The formal act of transferring something, such as a deed; the giving or yielding
    possession or control of something to another. 2. The thing so transferred or conveyed. Cf.

And finally the commercial act of transfering aka driving a vehicle(my mistake earlier was the word driving which is just associated with a vehicle and therefore implied in a tacit fashion :) ).

TRANSFER
    transfer,n.1. Any mode of disposing of or parting with an asset or an interest in an asset,
    including a gift, the payment of money, release, lease, or creation of a lien or other encumbrance. •
    The term embraces every method — direct or indirect, absolute or conditional, voluntary or
    involuntary — of disposing of or parting with property or with an interest in property, including
    retention of title as a security interest and foreclosure of the debtor's equity of redemption. 2.
    Negotiation of an instrument according to the forms of law. • The four methods of transfer are by
    indorsement, by delivery, by assignment, and by operation of law. [Cases: Municipal Corporations
    917. C.J.S. Municipal Corporations §§ 1658–1660.] 3. A conveyance of property or title from one
    person to another.

All from Blacks law dictionary 8th edition.

To say you understand to an officer of the law is to make an agreement with him as well as stating you understand him in the common sense of the word. If you are under an agreement he has already contracted you and will control the situation in a legal sense.

So when we ask for directions and a Garda says "go down the street, then right" should I assume the legal definition

right
    n. an entitlement to something, whether to concepts like justice and due process, or to ownership of property or some interest in property, real or personal. These rights include various freedoms, protection against interference with enjoyment of life and property, civil rights enjoyed by citizens such as voting and access to the courts, natural rights accepted by civilized societies, human rights to protect people throughout the world from terror, torture, barbaric practices and deprivation of civil rights and profit from their labor, and such American constitutional guarantees as the right to freedoms of speech, press, religion, assembly and petition. 2) adj. just, fair, correct.

or that he means right, as in the opposite to left?

Sometimes using a bit of common sense, and not searching for a theory works. Using a dictionary to show the meaning of a word does not prove anything. I was asking how you made a jump from someone asking you if you understand to someone seeking to contract you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

From Black's Law dictionary 8th edition
    UNDERSTANDING
    understanding,n.1. The process of comprehending; the act of a person who understands
    something. 2. One's personal interpretation of an event or occurrence. 3. An agreement, esp. of an
    implied or tacit nature.

Notice tacit means silent,unspoken,implied.
    This is what the legal world use when talking to you.Its another form of english with special meanings for words.

Its worth pointing out, however, that the word you have taken a special meaning for here is understanding. It is not the word used by the policeman in the example given by you.

While it is true that legal terminology has specific meanings, it is important to remember that those specific meanings apply to specific words, and not to every derivable form from the root.

Understanding can refer to an agreement or comprehension.
    Understand does not.
    "Understand" is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I think te '' understand '' or '' stand under '' thing was explained more in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055807803&highlight=tpuc

There was a clip I seen on youtube before with a bloke in England who didnt pay for a pint in a pub or something of that nature, & a police officer comes around to have a chat with him. The chap in question explains the meaning of Stand under. Well I thought he did anyway.

Can anyone post a link of the vid in my description if they can remember it.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Nail Head...... but From MY experiences with the court Systems of a few places it does all come down to very specific definitions of certain key words and phrases

Case Dismissed being the most beautiful of them;):D:D:D:D

bonkey wrote: »
    Its worth pointing out, however, that the word you have taken a special meaning for here is understanding. It is not the word used by the policeman in the example given by you.

While it is true that legal terminology has specific meanings, it is important to remember that those specific meanings apply to specific words, and not to every derivable form from the root.

Understanding can refer to an agreement or comprehension.
    Understand does not.
    "Understand" is

That doesnt stop them from trying to use it in a tacit way that implies understanding.Ive seen them try in videos with shaking your hand for agreement/contract.Its all the same once you "take them on" or start talking to them.You will give away one of those key words they need to have a higher standing by law.

Its safe to say if you have understood an officer it can be implied by him in court that you have an understanding with him.Its not that big a stretch to turn you agreeing to understand into whatever ticket or act they wish to contract with you.
    For example if i dont tell an officer my name they will assume authority over me,assuming im an irish citizen.You must state otherwise or whatever they deem fit will be applied to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

whats this I hear about a book coming out and the guarda dont want it coming out.

its about there tactics or something.

cable842 wrote: »
    whats this I hear about a book coming out and the guarda dont want it coming out.

Dunno. What is it you hear?

Advertisement