Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Blasphemy please, we're Italian

• 04-03-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭

Strange story from Italy where blasphemy is now a red card offence :)

Not sure how they will enforce it. I mean you could raise your hands to the heavens Kaka style saying "Jesus Christ" in a reverential manner or if Inzagi misses a sitter he could spit out the same in a spiteful way. I guess they'll have some sort of panel who will judge on a case by case basis :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/02/italy-football-coach-god-blasphemy
    Domenico "Mimmo" Di Carlo could not be said to have emblazoned his name on the annals of Italian football – until, that is, last Sunday in the third minute of the second half of Chievo's 2-1 victory over Cagliari in Serie A.

It was at this moment, according to the disciplinary watchdog of the Italian football league, that the Verona club's coach "proffered a blasphemous expression" that was to make him the first victim of a zero-tolerance policy on irreverence.

Di Carlo, whose side narrowly avoided relegation last season, was banned from the touchline for a game after Sunday's outburst. The Italian federation, Federcalcio, decided last month that the time had come for disciplinary action to be taken against players and coaches heard taking God's name in vain.

The president, Giancarlo Abete, declared it would "intervene with official decisions to make clear that blasphemy is within the definition of 'offensive, insulting or abusive language' in the rules [that warrant sending-off]".

Chievo's coach was not the only one caught out; one of his players, Michele Marcolini, was deemed to have said "God" as he left the field after a red card. After scrutiny of TV footage, however, the league judge, Gianpaolo Tosel, was convinced Marcolini had deployed "a slang expression used in Lombardy and [the region around Venice] with a crude reference to 'Diaz' and not 'Dio'" – although no one on the pitch was called Diaz.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Jesus wept.

Definitely the daftest rule I've heard of. Soon nobody will be able to speak to anyone else on the pitch.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I can't see this going down well in Spain with the amount of players called Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I bloody hate it when Kaka points to the sky everytime he scores, wreck's my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Not exactly surprising. anybody who's been there knows the place practically closes down during big religious holidays and in italy the main matchday is Sunday for 37 weeks apart from Easter Sunday where the matchday is moved to Saturday so it doesn't clash with Church

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I bloody hate it when Kaka points to the sky everytime he scores, wreck's my head.

Errrr....:confused:

So he has a profound faith in religion...what does it matter to you? He wants to thank whoever is up there, if there is anyone up there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Errrr....:confused:

So he has a profound faith in religion...what does it matter to you? He wants to thank whoever is up there, if there is anyone up there...

Its probably just the fact that I Don't like him and I use that as an excuse to hate him even more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

you hate the nicest guy in football?

United fan by any chance?

Sore that he ripped your club a new one a few times?

Just saw your name.

You're just jealous he made your man-love Vidic fall over and look like an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness, everyone makes vidic fall over, so it can't be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

And Gerrard makes himself fall over.

Lack of topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Seaneh wrote: »
    you hate the nicest guy in football?

United fan by any chance?

Sore that he ripped your club a new one a few times?

Just saw your name.

You're just jealous he made your man-love Vidic fall over and look like an idiot.

Jimmy Bullard never did that to Vidic.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

its the LAW in ireland now :confused:

No jebus bashing....mohammad and jewish whatever is fine tho just not catholic bashing god blasphemies.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

dreamers75 wrote: »
    its the LAW in ireland now :confused:

No jebus bashing....mohammad and jewish whatever is fine tho just not catholic bashing god blasphemies.
    In fairness, in A&A we've a whole thread devoted to it :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Soon nobody will be able to speak to anyone else on the pitch.

That could actually solve an awful lot of problems!

:pac:

Advertisement