Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox scratching disc

Options
  • 04-03-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

my cod mw2 disc has been in my xbox for a few months. i don't play that often and don't use the xbox for anything else. the disc has been out of the machine at most once since i got it and that was ages ago. it has been playing perfectly fine for the past few weeks. today, the xbox gave me an error saying the disc is unreadable. i took the disc out and there is loads of hairline scratches on it, not very big or noticeable, but there is a good few of them. I was thinking it could be the xbox so i tried to install the game on the HD and it gives me the error at the same point every time, so it seems like the disc. The xbox has to be what caused it, so do I have any comeback with the shop or whats my best bet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

dont know but mine scratches discs too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Merch wrote: »
    dont know but mine scratches discs too

what do you do about it? cant play it anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

If the scratches are perfect circles it's caused by movement. Any type of movement or vibration can cause the disc tray to wobble and the edge of the laser holder etches perfect circles in the disc. As far as I know once it happens to the disc it's un-repairable.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

bring it to GAME or Smyths and they can do instore disk repairs from 3euro (i think its 3euro..)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭richieb

i ve been told from gamestop staff that the reason this happens is turning off and on the xbox with the disc left in it, they recommend you take out the disc before turning off, and we had the same problem but not anymore since we adopted this practice, , hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

richieb wrote: »
    i ve been told from gamestop staff that the reason this happens is turning off and on the xbox with the disc left in it, they recommend you take out the disc before turning off, and we had the same problem but not anymore since we adopted this practice, , hope this helps

Thats bollocks, its a known issue with the xbox 360
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/news/Xbox-360-Game-Disc-Scratched.htm

Its due to slight movement from anything (loud speakers, walking around the room etc)

Microsoft also have a disc replacement plan:
    http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/gamesandmedia/games/discreplacement/DiscReplacementPlan.aspx

For MS Games only though :o

Advertisement