Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness in the Family

Options
  • 04-03-2010 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knew if there any allowances when it comes to exams if there is someone in your family that is terminally ill. I am currently in final year and My grandmother who I am very close to was diagnosed with cancer at the start of the year and since then has continued to get worse, I didn't feel like saying it to anyone because I really do prefer to keep my business to myself but I have gotten my results back and I really dont feel like I got the grades that I could of gotten in a different situation. The same sort of situation happened to me before my leaving cert where my mam also got cancer and passed away during 6th year. I never said anything in my previous situation because I really like to keep things to myself but this year is really important to me as I hope to go onto to do a masters after. Any help on if there is any way that my situation can be taken into account and if so who would be the right people to talk to? Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I'm really sorry to hear about your Gran Op I hope your coping ok.

I'd say talk to your lecturer, either the head of your department or the lecture you see the most. If you don't feel like doing that do you have a tutor/supervisor who you would know?

I'm not sure to be honest what will come of you telling them, as far as I know the University doesn't make any special allowances for people with regard to exams bar letting them resist them in the Autumn for better grades. But your lecturers will know more about this.

Also with regard to your masters most masters have an application you submit in an essay type format, you could explain in that why you didn't do as well as you thought you should/could have.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Sorry to hear OP, you should visit the academic advisory office also, they may be able to help when you approach your department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

a person I know had a family member pass away during the exams and afaik she had to repeat the exams she missed in august... maybe talk to academic advisory though cos maybe they wouldn't charge you for repeats or something when it's something that serious that you're missing exams for.

Advertisement