Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Fishing near Co. Dublin

Options
  • 04-03-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi there,

I just recently moved to Dublin and was hoping people could help me by recomending some good fishing spots near Co, DUblin.

I've been to Blessington a few times but haven't had much luck.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

What kind of fishing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Gringo wrote: »
    .... I've been to Blessington a few times but haven't had much luck....

Blessington has a proven track record of producing large pike, but they certainly don't come to the bank waving a white flag!!
    It's a big lake. You have to research how to fish large reservoirs, walk the shore, watch the other chaps fishing, build up your "dossier of knowhow for the lake" and fish and find out. That's the fun of fishing.
    A lake that size will take 2-3 seasons to get to grips with. It should be an enjoyable process. :D

I suggest you start with the Eastern regional Fishery Board website and map, go to the competitions and meet the lads, and talk with the waterkeeper when he meets you on the lakeshore. That would be a good beginning. :)

You are lucky because the water is at a 25 year low level right now. So you can walk for miles, and see all the features that are normally covered by water. You can learn a decade's worth in the next 2 weeks.

If you are a bit hazy on locating the fish while fishing large lakes I have written a series of articles on Reading Large Lakes which should be helpful. It's almost like a step by step how to fish Blesso.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Gringo wrote: »
    Hi there,

I just recently moved to Dublin and was hoping people could help me by recomending some good fishing spots near Co, DUblin.

If you went to Blessington I assume you are after pike? Apart from that there are not too many other places in Dublin where you can catch pike, try the canals there is still some pike left in them in places where the eastern Europeans have not netted them out. You can fish the reservoir on the liffey at Leixlip but check beforehand, years since i was up there, not sure if is safe up there any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Would you think of joining a club?
    DPA (Dublin pike anglers) go on monthly day outings to some great venues all over the country and have a summer and winter league for senior and junior anglers with some great prizes to be had and if everyone is more than willing to guide a novice. I have contact details if you wish.
    If coarse angling in your thing there are many to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gringo

thanks for the advice, i hadnt considered a club yet, but i think ill look into it. I do normally go pike fishing but i want to try other types.

I did try the cfb website, but the info wasn't to clear in my opinion. it doesnt say where you can park and and where to walk to and where to buy the permits in some cases.

I don't know i reland that well so i'm happy to go outside dublin just dont know where to go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i'd love to try a few places over the bank holiday.

Is Mullingar any good i heard that there are nice lakes up there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement