Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Maserati or not to Maserati

• 04-03-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I've been mulling this over in my head for the past number of months - the other half hasn't been too bothered dissuading me as she loves them too. Background to this is that I've been a fan of Entourage (the TV series) for the past few years and fell in love with the Maserati Quattroporte in one of the earlier seasons.

401.jpg
    Since then the car has always been priced far beyond what I would consider a sensible purchase and beyond what my insurance would consider a sensible purchase too! Looking at Carzone over the past couple of months however, these seem to be approaching reasonable territory in terms of second hand 2005's being available for under 40K:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Maserati/Quattroporte/4.2/201003196674081/advert?channel=CARS
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Maserati/Quattroporte/201009197083806/advert?channel=CARS

Now, I'm driving a Saab 9-3 Aero delivering about 25Mpg from a mixture of motorway driving and city traffic-jams, having read the MPG thread of larger engines thread, and having read the reviews on Parkers (18-19MPG being the expected), what would be the general consensus on a car like this?

My major thoughts are around servicing - what would the choices be in terms of servicing in Ireland, service intervals appear to be circa every 6K minor, 12.5K major - who would provide such services in Ireland or would I be faced with multiple trips to the UK each time? I'm hoping to arrange a test drive over the coming weeks, I don't expect these are the type of cars to move too quickly, however may need to have a firesale of my own to consider switching and offloading my own.

Thoughts, or words of wisdom to persuade me otherwise? I've always been one to go for something slightly different to the norm, hence the heavily depreciating Saab Aero :rolleyes: Also, thoughts of something in the same sort of price bracket as being a little different - would love to have some ridiculous car while younger (early 30's!) before petrol prices and the greens make electro-motors the norm :D

Cheers,
    Rbrt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

To Maserati!

rbrt wrote: »
    My major thoughts are around servicing - what would the choices be in terms of servicing in Ireland, service intervals appear to be circa every 6K minor, 12.5K major - who would provide such services in Ireland or would I be faced with multiple trips to the UK each time?

C. Hurst in Belfast would be the only main dealer on this island. Ring them and ask about servicing and costs. I'm sure they'll give you an honest and professional answer. They have a solid reputation.

As for fuel consumption - that should be the last of your worries as it is the least of your costs :)

You're doing 25MPG in your Saab - sure you can expect around 17MPG in the Quattroporte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I did'nt even read your post, no need. Once It said Quattroporte.

Buy the Maserati, now. In fact ring now and stop wasting time that could otherwise be filled by owning a Quattroporte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

It has a Ferrari engine. Perfect balance between a sports car and luxury saloon. Definitely more striking than an S- Class or 7 series.

Get one, life is too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 rbrt

For a balanced discussion, I feel it only fair to post in the Environment thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Did I mention it was 345g/km Co2?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

One of the major portions of environmental damage in the life cycle of a car is in extracting the materials and building it. Those two are built now. Buy one, or you'll be wasting all that energy. The grey one is the hotter of the two for me. So get the blue one - I'm putting all my money on the Lotto at the weekend and the grey one's mine.:D

For a balanced discussion, I feel it only fair to post in the Environment thread

Even better. Buy it,buy it now.

If the environmental side is tugging at you, I'll have it and give you a John Gormly style bike to replace it.:)

Grey one is my favourite too, currently on Fifth gear shows on Youtube with Vicki which is definitely pushing me in favour of...

Thanks for the carbon update, I feared I'd be replanting a forest to offset my pollution :D So what you're saying is that the damage is done and if I weren't driving it someone else would be ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭JacksDad

To Maserati!

For the love of God buy it..
    Don't put any more energy into thinking about it..

I'm hoping to get my head down for the night by midnight..but if it means staying up late to see what your decision is I'll wait :D

My dream car.
    Live my dream.
    Buy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The semi-auto gearbox seems to be the only real downside to this car - gearchanges can be jerky at high speeds. Of course I'm only going by reviews, sure you can make your own opinion on that once you test drive one :) . The proper auto box wasn't available until 2007 so will probably be out of your budget.

• Advertisement

Don't become a zombie slave of that silly carbon footprint offsetting bullsh1tting global warming crowd. They've all been lying to us :)

But if you really are concerned about CO2 - you'll be much greener driving the bejaysis out of your V8 petrol Maserati - but not jetting away on your holidays - for a year, compared to the average Prius owner flying to the Canaries for his holliers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Go for it, make the neighbours jealous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

If service costs and mpgs are even remotely a concern then I would think this is not the right car for you.
    But I could also be just jealous.

Seriously. Unfortunately I myself couldn't drive that car without
    a) stretching myself financially
    b) feel I'd make a bit of a show of myself

the latter moreso because the car would be so out of place in my environment. Not that my environment is shabby or anything, but it's not Maserati territory either.

If this doesn't apply to you then 'Hell Yes'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

What year aero? How many miles? Might be interested if you shifting it if its in good condition and its cheap!

05 Aero, 73K fully serviced and new set of F1 Eagles - new pads front and rear and new rear discs

BTW, ignore my previous posts on the oil sludge (how do I delete them!), had new rear discs and pads fitted two weeks ago and mechanic said I was paranoid, oil was still clear :) Nobody sits in rear, car in great nick.

My questions around running costs are moreso down to my work fuel card - other than taking the mick my choices are to pay myself for some of the fuel or to purchase some runaround for some of my weekly commute. Coming in at €300-400 per month doesn't raise many eyebrows at work, much above this and you suddenly become part of the top-10 list which is reserved for the top-driving sales reps with multiple K of mileage between them in their diesel Focus' per month :) The other inconvenience would really be around time off for servicing, having to drop a car to NI for a service is a bit of a pain, will give C Hurst a call and see whether they can collect for services etc.

Liking what I hear so far, might consider renting it out at this rate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Have seen a few of those around. Inconspicuous, like an Alfa 166. Do you want to own a Maserati V8 that's as noticeable as a Passat TDi?

I don't personally think it's that inconspicuous, it's a sizaeable car and the side-intakes and rear exhausts + noise must surely put it in TDI VAG territory? Or maybe I'm just a dreamer...

I've always been a fan of saloons, never really was a fan of 2-seaters. Favourite car-driving memory of all-time is hearing the noise of an M5 screaming past two cars outside Nenagh in front of me, the speed it went from 40-70+ was incredible. Plus the sound... unforgettable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

If you're worried about the environmental issues go plant a tree. They are a sweet sweet car, I was looking at one there on Sunday, fantastic looking car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I absolutely adore the Quattroporte, buy one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Seriously, it's an old cliche at this stage, but life is too short.

I just went and bought myself a (totally unnecessary second car) v8 that I had wanted for ages under the same reasoning.

And that's sound reasoning.

Do it!

As a separate question, how does insurance work with multiple cars? My Dad bought a second car a few years ago and told me he had to take out insurance as if he was a brand new driver with 0 years NCB? Is it possible to buy a group policy for multiple cars or is it better to build up a second NCB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

For ****'s sake OP stop wondering and buy it before I do. It's like that beutiful woman at the bar... do you ask her out, or do you spend you life never knowing?

You obviously want that car.... otherwise you wouldn't be posting her now, would you? So buy it.

It's either that, or a Mondeo of mediocrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭__________

JHMEG wrote: »
    Have seen a few of those around. Inconspicuous, like an Alfa 166. Do you want to own a Maserati V8 that's as noticeable as a Passat TDi?

I think the 400 bhp engine would make it fairly noticeable alright

Lol, I suppose my mind is made up over a test drive at least, will look to take one out over the weekend!

Any thoughts on suggested routes around Dublin (depends where cars are I guess), suppose a mixture of a motorway run and a spin through the city-centre would be most reasonable? Any other good test-drive runs suggested, most of my test drives in the past have been quick 15 minute run-arounds!

Will post details and pics up after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Oh if you don't come back here and tell us you bought it or have a very good reason for not buying one you'll be banned from motors

Saab 9-3 Aero for sale :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As a separate question, how does insurance work with multiple cars? My Dad bought a second car a few years ago and told me he had to take out insurance as if he was a brand new driver with 0 years NCB? Is it possible to buy a group policy for multiple cars or is it better to build up a second NCB?

I got a second car policy with the same insurer with an introductory full no-claims based on my existing full ncb.

Ironic that http://www.carzone.ie/search/Maserati/Quattroporte/201009197083806/advert?channel=CARS the price is based on the registration plate.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

JHMEG wrote: »

You would want to be blind as a bat to mistake that for a passat..!

anyway, nice car but expect Ferrari servicing costs.

I think you would want very very deep pockets to keep it running and with the hassle of getting it to norn Ireland, might be more trouble than its worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Buy it!

/fap fap fap fap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Go for it OP!!!

There are few cars that you could come on here and get a better response to, a Maserati exudes passion and feels more special than almost anything else - certainly anything for similar cash.

My only advice would be not to underestimate the costs associated with ownership - tyres, pads, discs, oil changes etc etc etc which will cost a small fortune. Remember when viewing the car that ordinarily the amount of tread left on the tyre is not important, but on a car where a set of tyres will set you back €800 it is important! Similarly with the amount of wear on brake discs & pads.

Make sure to get it checked over by a good mechanic, and if you suspect anything is wrong with the car make a head decision and walk away.

Best of luck!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Saab 9-3 Aero for sale :D

Haha I have a late 04 so I was hoping you had an 07/08 and I might have taken it off you! Ah well.

Id buy the Masi. You will forever kick yourself if you dont!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, all the Motors posters will be with you in spirit when you drive it. Buy the damn thing and let us live! Please let us live!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Go for it... as long as you realise the values have dropped for a reason, and the early gearbox was utter sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Buy it, I know someone with a Bentley Arnage and I always give him abuse for buying such a heap when he could have easily bought something as sexy as Quattroporte....Buy it, buy it, buy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Long been a fantasy car of mine. Buy it and post about it every day so we can live vicariously through you!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

Don`t be so eager,my boss bought a Quattroportime about three years ago and had it for about 8 mths and most of that time was spent going back and forth to Hursts with various mechanical and electrical problems.
    On the rare occassions when it was out of the garage it looked and sounded great but he said it just not worth the stress and hassle,luckly for him all work was under warranty, repair bills for a Quattroportime would make your eyes water.
    Anyway he got a pain in his arse with it and traded it in,said it was the worst car he ever owned.
    Pity as they are beautiful looking machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

You must buy one OP. Now that you have it in your head you'll never get it out. I remember having the same Entourage envy at the time.

A friend's father bought one 3 or 4 years ago but got fed up when the reality set in that he'd have to pay Hurst up North a visit every time it needed a service. Think he only had it for 18 months or so before he offloaded it and bought an AM V8 Vantage, it's tough for some :)

steve06 wrote: »
    as long as you realise the values have dropped for a reason, and the early gearbox was utter sh!te.

Boo, this is not the place for negatives, Get out.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Has anyone here actually driven one? It does pull me on an emotional level, but i'd be looking at other cars in that category too. Of course, if I drove it and loved it then i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement

I drove a new quattroporte (I think it was the 'S' one but may not have been) about 6 weeks ago.

Its lovely. Really good chassis and encourges you to push hard through corners. Handles like a GT car. Of course its not as refined and the ride quality isnt quite as good as say an S class especially at low speeds but who cares. Wonderfully characterfull engine, the 'box was OK. Only negative really is that the interior does feel quite dated to be honest.

But that V8 more than makes up for it!

Stekelly wrote: »
    Boo, this is not the place for negatives, Get out.:)
    honestly... got a call from a friend one day and the first thing he said was "My dreams have been crushed, I'm driving a Quattroporte and it's useless!"

He couldn't get over how bad it was.

steve06 wrote: »
    honestly... got a call from a friend one day and the first thing he said was "My dreams have been crushed, I'm driving a Quattroporte and it's useless!"

He couldn't get over how bad it was.

What was his daily driver? A 911 from 30 years in the future?!

Cannot see how it could have been useless unless that example was terribly abused.

Technically it isnt top of the class, but its still up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

See, this is what worries me - a car that looks like that and doesn't live up to it behind the wheel would break my heart. An S500 would definitely be one of the cars i'd be putting it up against.

Mr.David wrote: »
    What was his daily driver? A 911 from 30 years in the future?!

A Lotus Elise and a Merc CLS... 2 very different cars, but he just didn't like the Maserati at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

The biggest problem with the quattroporte is the M5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP I think the Quattroporte looks great, but chances are your bank account won't thank you for buying it. There a plenty of other cars that will be cheaper to maintain while giving better reliability. I really don't think the heartache would be worth the expense, and so I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Phaeton W12 maybe? Mercedes CLS? Both fabulous cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Confab wrote: »
    There a plenty of other cars that will be cheaper to maintain while giving better reliability.

Yes, like a diesel Avensis.

Buy it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yes, like a diesel Avensis.

In what way is a Phaeton W12 or CLS similar to a diesel Avensis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Hmmm I dont know about these. Ive never loved them as much as others here have. Im not he biggest maserati fan (except for the current GT which is most FAP worthy).

I would certainly consider a CLS 55 or CLS 63 as I think it is a better looking car and by all accounts just as good to drive. It also has a glorious engine sound. It will most likely be a lot lot cheaper and easier to service as well. Mercedes servicing is bound to be cheaper than Maserati servicing and I'd imagine the build quality is far superior as well.

but by all means, buy a ridiculous car like the Maserati or the CLS. You would be doing us all a favour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement