Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semi auto centrefire rifles

Options
  • 04-03-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

just wondering how hard is it to licence a semi auto rifle say 223/308 will the CS have a heart attack under the policy of I dont like the look of that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Dwighet is your man to ask :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Shouldnt be any more trouble than most.They ARE out there and liscensed,and ASFIK there at least three folks that post here that have them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

johngalway wrote: »

seen dwighets in the flesh lovely bit of kit had me drooling at the mouth any irish dealers have them stocked I take it you have to aply to your CS ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Are they really worth it?? They eat ammo and accurcy is not as good as a B/A and farmers will lock up the sheep and wifes when the see you comming:D

I was getting the feel of a S/A 223 in John Greene's the other day and my first thought were "Would not like to have to carry it around for long"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Are they really worth it?? They eat ammo and accurcy is not as good a B/A and farmes will look up the sheep and wifes when the see you comming:D

I was getting the feel of a S/A 223 in John Greene's the other day and my first thought were "Would not like to have to carry it around for long"

While it's a good general rule that a semi won't be as accurate, dwighet's getting 1/2" to 3/4" with his at a hundred yards, which is plenty accurate to me. ;) Neat as you like too! I can't see a good reason for me to have one, but I'd say they're fantastic fun. and they can only eat the ammo you feed them. ;)

• Advertisement

Are they really worth it?? They eat ammo and accurcy is not as good as a B/A and farmers will lock up the sheep and wifes when the see you comming:D

what model was it ivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

johngalway wrote: »

One mean machine, the gun not Dwighet. :D

Illegal to hunt deer with a semi-auto so you can't get the deer license. :(
    unless you are at a member of a range it will be hard to get the S/A above the 223 cal.

I think you will also need a sympathetic FO and Super. :rolleyes:

But saying all this I have seen a full auto that is licensed in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yes. Instant follow up, or second shot. They only eat as much ammo as a bolt action, it depends how often you pull the trigger. Dwighet shot that rifles first fox up with me, 250 yards, dead centre in the foxes chest as he predicted. My rifle, a bolt action Remington VL SS .223 with a varmint barrel is considerably heavier than Dwighets semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

what model was it ivan.

sabre defence

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hartman

clivej wrote: »
    One mean machine, the gun not Dwighet. :D

unless you are at a member of a range it will be hard to get the S/A above the 223 cal.

I think you will also need a sympathetic FO and Super. :rolleyes:

A full auto? what gun is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hartman

dwighet wrote: »
    sabre defence

xr15 model isnt it?

Hartman wrote: »
    A full auto? what gun is it

Not sure - Armalite I thnk
    It was in with John Greene to get some work done on it.

The license holder used it for walk through competition shooting* in Germany.

*is that what they call it, where you go through a mock up stage setting and shoot pop up/swing out, drop down targets.

errr....NO!!! Not true at all!!!There is NO mention of use of SA rifles in the Wildlife act.The only thing that is mentioned is shotguns having a max three shot capacity.
    This is just a rumour and blackning job put out IMHO by the traditionalists out there ,who still go around with monocoles tweeds and plus twos,and anything that isnt double barreled or bolt action is "Dashed unsporting What?"
    I think you will also need a sympathetic FO and Super.
    :rolleyes:
    That could be harder.But why is the question.Semis are just a natural progression in technology.Its like saying well the Model T Ford is as far as the car should develop,and any further advancements in motor technology make it more dangerous.:eek:
    After all the bolt action was the "assault rifle" of its day.
    But saying all this I have seen a full auto that is licensed in the country

A prohibited weapon under EU and Irish law??Unless it was in an embassy somwhere???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Hartman wrote: »
    xr15 model isnt it?

thats the one..
    Very nice bit of kit.

The license holder used it for walk through competition shooting* in Germany.

*is that what they call it, where you go through a mock up stage setting and shoot pop up/swing out, drop down targets.

Going from your last post CliveJ ,I think you mean a SEMI auto??Not a Fullauto??
    First off.There is no WAY IN HELL you could own legally as Joe Civillian in Germany a full auto anything!! Bar you are a registerd state approved dealer,and there are aexactly half dozen of those in the entire Federal Republic.So it would be abit odd that one is getting it fixed with John?Not to say John couldnt,but it is a tad odd???
    Second ,the translation of walk thru is durchlauf which can also mean in the context a speed run.
    What you are describing is a IPSC match in Germany,as genuine "combat Training"[and they know the difference over there...DOJ Spooks reading here take note!!:rolleyes:] is totally illegal and has been for civvies since 1945.

Ergo you saw a semi rifle here.:)

this is the one I have.But not the signiture edition..I like it and it gets the job done on mr fox thats for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

clivej wrote: »
    Er, not legally you've not. Fully auto anything is class A under EU law - you'd need permission from the Minister himself to have one and without it your licence isn't actually valid. There was a case a while back of a licence for something like this being issued (even though it was invalid legally) thanks to a confluence of typos and paperwork mistakes, but that was a temporary abberation that lasted less than a week, and I'd hate to have been the RFD in germany who made the mistakes...

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Going from your last post CliveJ ,I think you mean a SEMI auto??Not a Fullauto??
    First off.There is no WAY IN HELL you could own legally as Joe Civillian in Germany a full auto anything!! Bar you are a registerd state approved dealer,and there are aexactly half dozen of those in the entire Federal Republic.So it would be abit odd that one is getting it fixed with John?Not to say John couldnt,but it is a tad odd???
    Second ,the translation of walk thru is durchlauf which can also mean in the context a speed run.
    What you are describing is a IPSC match in Germany,as genuine "combat Training"[and they know the difference over there...DOJ Spooks reading here take note!!:rolleyes:] is totally illegal and has been for civvies since 1945.

Ergo you saw a semi rifle here.:)

Sparks wrote: »
    Er, not legally you've not. Fully auto anything is class A under EU law - you'd need permission from the Minister himself to have one and without it your licence isn't actually valid. There was a case a while back of a licence for something like this being issued (even though it was invalid legally) thanks to a confluence of typos and paperwork mistakes, but that was a temporary abberation that lasted less than a week, and I'd hate to have been the RFD in germany who made the mistakes...

OK I got it wrong so. Whats new................:o

"I was wrong once but it was a mistake" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

:p When it stops happening to us Clive, that's a sure sign that we're dead :D

There was a case a while back of a licence for something like this being issued (even though it was invalid legally) thanks to a confluence of typos and paperwork mistakes, but that was a temporary abberation that lasted less than a week, and I'd hate to have been the RFD in germany who made the mistakes...

Think this might have been an Urban myth too Sparks.I talked to a couple of dealers in Germany and even one rep of the type of gun, about that..It's 99.9% impossible.
    Even just the physical inspection by dealer who sent it and manufactur,who have a seperate facility to prevent this happening.Not to mind the intriplicate paperwork just to get it out of the plant to a law enforcement body,or military unit is a nightmare.Even the serial number is different
    IF it did happen,then the only thing that could have been was a dodgy dealer,or somone tinkering with a DIY conversion for it.

• Advertisement

Think this might have been an Urban myth too Sparks.I talked to a couple of dealers in Germany and even one rep of the type of gun, about that..It's 99.9% impossible.
    Even just the physical inspection by dealer who sent it and manufactur,who have a seperate facility to prevent this happening.Not to mind the intriplicate paperwork just to get it out of the plant to a law enforcement body,or military unit is a nightmare.Even the serial number is different
    IF it did happen,then the only thing that could have been was a dodgy dealer,or somone tinkering with a DIY conversion for it.

If i remember rightly there was a case of someone getting a full auto glock 18 by mistake a few years back could be just a rumor

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

The factory sent him an 18 instead of a 17 if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

freddieot wrote: »
    The factory sent him an 18 instead of a 17 if I remember correctly.

I wouldnt complain ! :P

back to the OP though yes Semis are obtainable if you have a valid reason to have 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

.........back to the OP though yes Semis are obtainable if you have a valid reason to have 1.

+ your Super/Chief Super agree ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Shouldnt be any more trouble than most.They ARE out there and liscensed,and ASFIK there at least three folks that post here that have them.
    + your Super/Chief Super agree ;)

your vaild reason should convince him/her .... if not there are proper channels to go through that can change his mind or overthrow the decision !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

your vaild reason should convince him/her .... if not there are proper channels to go through that can change his mind or overthrow the decision !

;)

All you neecd is to convince the CS,not the Super as well.;)

That would have been a feat getting a Glock 18 from the factory. Not to mind Glock 18s are not that common and are really only made on special order contracts.AAMOF I cant think of anyone or unit or police force that actually uses them.As it is an almost uncontrollable gun unless you are going to put a shoulder stock and ultra high cap mag on it.

whos the CS?

dwighet wrote: »
    whos the CS?

Chief superentendent

• Advertisement

I have a vaild reason for my pistol that didnt stop him not renewing it

Advertisement