Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Oil stoves

• 05-03-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭

I am going to put in a oil stove in a sitting room at home.it wont be connected to rads just for room heating to be used occasionally.there is a fireplace in the room and a pipe has beeen left to connect oil.My query is I need to buy a stove that has small depth at the max >400mm.looking for something about 350mm depth but i cant find any.do they exist ,if so can anyone recommend one? the smallest i can find is the stanford 50 from nestor martin.http://www.murphyheating.com/oil_stanford_50.php

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,989 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just curious, why would you install a oil stove without connecting it to rads? would you not be better off with a solid fuel stove, particularly if its only for a single room?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

the rads are connected to the central heating and i have a solid fuel stove in another room and for this room i would like instant heat without d hassle of wood ,turf and no ashes

I see, i am investigating the installation of a Solid fuel stove myself, problem is the chimney, i may have to go the route of a stainless steel solution and they are damned expensive. I have the additional challenge of having to go through a log cabin style extension for this chimney. Like yourself i have central heating but the log cabin extension is enormous and fantastic in the summer but difficult to heat in the winter. Its kind of open planned into an existing cottage so my hope is the new stove will radiate heat to most of the bottom of the cottage.

i was thinking of buying a solid fuel stove because there seems to be plenty of stoves that suit my requirments (small depth >400mm) but i like the idea of oil -no hassle ,instant heat.just doesnt seem to be any that suit my needs.

Yes makes sense in your situation, i wondered though will it be complicated to connect? i assume it will have to be connected directly to your existing boiler or are you putting this stove in as a Boiler (am i making sense?) I assume this stove will act as a boiler if you are going to connect it to an existing system?

• Advertisement

the stove will have a pipe running to the existing oil tank outside.it wont have any connection to the current heating

Hmmm, thats an interesting approach and may just solve my own dilemma as the location of my own stove will be quite near my oil tank. I know you were asking the advice, and here i am seeking yours LOL, one final question if i may. Will your Oil stove need ventilation, chimney etc or is it sealed?

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Hmmm, thats an interesting approach and may just solve my own dilemma as the location of my own stove will be quite near my oil tank. I know you were asking the advice, and here i am seeking yours LOL, one final question if i may. Will your Oil stove need ventilation, chimney etc or is it sealed?

mite will be sitting on the existing hearth and the flue will go up the chimney afaik

Advertisement