Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

only for stupid people

Options
  • 05-03-2010 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

A person who thinks they are stupid is actually quite intelligent because, it takes a certain type of intelligence to realize that they are stupid.
    Where as a person who thinks they are intelligent is actually quite stupid as only stupid people think they are intelligent.
    I thought about this today and wrote it down.
    Dose this make me stupid??
    If a person replies and says " this statement is quite stupid" am i to believe that they too are stupid for being intelligent enough to understand what I'm trying to say?
    Who made an intelligent person intelligent enough to be able to call someone stupid?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool—shun him.
    He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a child—teach him.
    He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep—wake him.
    He who knows and knows that he knows is wise—follow him.”

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

good one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Accordingly I went to one who had the reputation of wisdom,...When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me.
    So I left him, saying to myself, as I went away: Well, although I do not suppose that either of us knows anything really beautiful and good, I am better off than he is - for he knows nothing, and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know. In this latter particular, then, I seem to have slightly the advantage of him.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/apology.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭CuriousOne

dvae wrote: »
    A person who thinks they are stupid is actually quite intelligent because, it takes a certain type of intelligence to realize that they are stupid.
    Where as a person who thinks they are intelligent is actually quite stupid as only stupid people think they are intelligent.
    I thought about this today and wrote it down.
    Dose this make me stupid??
    If a person replies and says " this statement is quite stupid" am i to believe that they too are stupid for being intelligent enough to understand what I'm trying to say?
    Who made an intelligent person intelligent enough to be able to call someone stupid?

Does this logic prevail for insanity?

And, btw, where is the button/icon for rhetorical question mark?

Is this it(?)

Sorry, for being stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

dvae wrote: »
    In a sense, you are stupid for calling people stupid. The point stands though, No one can know everything so the only logical attitude towards knowledge is summed up in Socrates declaration " I only know that I know nothing".To me it seems that modern science makes this a lot easier to figure out.

The entire perceptual framework of the world that an individual has is maintained by their subconscious mind. Thats a bit crazy I think. The whole world is in your head. Its called subjective reality, The sense that everything you perceive about people and the world is in fact 'the world'. Socrates was wise enough to acknowledge the unfathomable amount of information that was unknown to him and to consider his own ideas in that light. In modern language, he saw the difference between his own subjective reality and the awesome totality of everything that is 'reality'.

• Advertisement

Gary L wrote: »
    In modern language, he saw the difference between his own subjective reality and the awesome totality of everything that is 'reality'.

In any language, in my opinion, Meiner Meinung nach; there is only the subjective reality, which, nonetheless, interacts with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

CuriousOne wrote: »
    there is only the subjective reality, which, nonetheless, interacts with others.

Yeah but I can bring into my subjective reality a recognition of its limits and hence a perception of the other realities. The world I know and perceive is no more real or unreal than anyone elses. To me its one step away from total unconditional love for everybody, all of us doing this mad cosmic dance creating a world for ourself to live in based on our experiences in 'the world'.

Gary L wrote: »
    The world I know and perceive is no more real or unreal than anyone elses.

Agreed.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement