Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting shower fan to 45A ceiling pull cord

Options
  • 05-03-2010 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I have a 45A electric shower that is isolated by a ceiling pull cord switch. I'd like to connect up a 3A extractor fan that will be activated when the current flows to the shower, i.e. when this switch is activated. I believe that I should be able to safely take a 45A feed out from the shower switch and connect it to a 3A dual pole fused connection unit and onto to the extractor. I've read somewhere that there is a problem making connections between the 10mm 45A cable and the FCU because the cable is too fat. I also read somewhere that one method of making the connection is via a 3A MCB - 10mm wire into the MCB, 1mm wire out the other side.

There is no timer on the extractor fan so I don't need a continuous live feed, and I don't want to active the fan from the light circuit.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

I wouldn't connect it to the shower mains. Try and connect it with the light or switch it independantly. New legislation governs that a fan switch must provide isolation to the fan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

agree with shamfeen.try get it on lighting circuit.try seperate switch if possible otherwise use inline fan with isolator in the attic.connect with centre light.maybe use 5amp pullcord.duct out facia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

they're usually activated with the light (through an additional isolator).

a humidity activated fan might help you but i'm not familiar.
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGXF100H.html

you could automate it in theory with a current sensing type relay and modular contactor in a small enclosure
    (the type of relay they use in shower controllers)

fan would activate when shower is actually running rather than pull-cord

Advertisement