Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XIII Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Jese that Ign one is really low. And usually they have a tendency to over rate games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Edge review http://tinyurl.com/yhoaw27
    5/10
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

That Edge score is just plain bizarre given some of the good comments they had to say about the game - "...a battle system that stands among the genre’s finest...". Reads more like a 7/10.

Was it Edge that gave FFX a score of 6/10? Hmmm.

I think knowing now FFXIII's shortcomings with regards to its RPG-ness, ill probably still enjoy it regardless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd never trust a review from edge. This sums them up perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

game reviews are such a waste of time for games as big as final fantasy.

too many reviews will try either over compensate for weither they like it or not and give it a 10 or a 5, or they'll give it a standard grade to appear level headed in the face of such a big release, so 8 and a halfs all round.

FFXII was riddled with short comings, so was X, IX, VIII & VII etc. etc.

I expect FFXIII will be no different, the amazing coupled with the misguided.

the only feature I'd like to see in new FF's are an option for Origonal Japanese voicing with english subtitles:
    I hate listening to mediocre voice acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

FFXII was riddled with short comings, so was X, IX, VIII & VII etc. etc.

You shut your mouth!!! IX was a masterpiece... a flawless masterpiece.

*blocks ears and refuses to listen to reason*

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Going from what I've read already and reviews it seems to be most akin to ff x, which sounds awesome to me cause I loved that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Edge reviews have just been bizarre recently and this is one of the strangest I've read. Starts talking about how good the battle system is, then praises the story and hails the 'visual marvel'. The only real criticism I can see in the review is that there's no stand out characters outside the main party.

So great battle system, strong story, graphically stunning - 5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

FFX was amazing. Simple as.

Did EDGE really give it 5?

Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

noodler wrote: »

Jesus.

Edge gave Final Fantasy X 6/10... I still remember reading the review.

Damn it anyways. Its not so much the poor scores thats dissapointing but the sheer lack of RPGness in the game. After playing Mass effect I thought yeah that was a great game but definitely not an rpg.

I was thinking well at least ive FFXIII on the way for some wandering and exploring and going round to different towns/villages.

But no its buy your weapons at save points we dont need shops. Who needs villages and towns we have a set path for you.

I read this a few weeks back but when one of the lead creators on the FF team said "we want to make it more an interactive movie and less rpg" I was like for **** sake :mad:

I'm overjoyed there isn't towns.. nothing more annoying than getting lost in some gigantic town and all you want to do is find the key character to progress the storyline on :mad:

Xyo wrote: »
    I'm overjoyed there isn't towns.. nothing more annoying than getting lost in some gigantic town and all you want to do is find the key character to progress the storyline on :mad:

:eek: is all. If you dont like that sort of thing why play rpgs??:confused:

Rpgs don't equal gigantic towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I'll be buying and playing XIII, it looks like there are some aspects of it that will be fun.

Looking forward to drop dead final fantasy gorgeousness in full HD on the ps3.
    I like that the gameplay is more X like and slightly more traditional than the MMO wannabe XII, which I didn't even bother finishing (first time with a FF game).
    The lack of towns does suck, but I'll get over it.
    The story doesn't seem to be great, which suggests to me this will be more like 8 or 9 than a 7 or 10, which IMO had superior stories.

SIGH SIGH SIGH at Square Enix. When will we return to the series traditional roots such as a proper turn based system, awesome minigames, a truly sprawling story with an epic unrivalled villain, beautiful towns to explore, each with their own identity, history and almost like a nation in their own right?

GAH, What are the chances I can apply for a job at Square Enix and get appointed the head of their creative team for XV? (I gather XIV is already firmly in the pipeline).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm bloody tempted to buy this on release day now!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm bloody tempted to buy this on release day now!

Sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think I'll be picking it up on release myself now. Just noticed that Edge gave Dragon Age 5/10 too, if I enjoy their latest 5/10 as much as I enjoyed that it'll be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Jesus.

Well they probably let someone like me review it :D

Vegeta wrote: »
    Well they probably let someone like me review it :D

Naturally

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/finalfantasyx

Xyo wrote: »
    Rpgs don't equal gigantic towns.

Never said they did. Towns dont always = gigantic.

I actually really hate massive towns with loads of NPCs in RPGs so I'm happy. It's what really puts me off bioware games because I have to talk to everyone even though nobody has anything interesting to say.

I think we are going to extremes on the town issue i.e.: people saying "well theres no towns but that cool because I hate massive towns with loads of people".

There is a compromise.

I just don't see the need to have a town, all you ever do in them is stock up on items and run into peoples houses and search for stuff?..

I think we are going to extremes on the town issue i.e.: people saying "well theres no towns but that cool because I hate massive towns with loads of people".

There is a compromise.

Exactly. I always think towns/villages add a sense of atmosphere to the game. Something which I consider important for rpgs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

You shut your mouth!!! IX was a masterpiece... a flawless masterpiece.

*blocks ears and refuses to listen to reason*

Damn right
    Well said this man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

joe123 wrote: »
    Exactly. I always think towns/villages add a sense of atmosphere to the game. Something which I consider important for rpgs.

Yup,
    I love the towns in FF games, they have so much personality and are fun and a nice break from the action. Most of the towns are just the right size too and not too big.

PC RPGs on the other hand are a different matter, with their massive sprawling towns that can seem a bit pointless form time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Joystiq review

No scores given but an interesting read.

Advertisement