Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Social Activites Society

Options
  • 05-03-2010 3:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Mods I’d really appreciate your understanding and also your insight here. I understand this thread is not based on a personal issue of mine but it is seeking to alleviate the personal issues of others.

During my time with 3 different accounts here I have mostly been active in the personal section. Although this idea doesn't apply to maybe the majority of posts contained herein the issue of loneliness is always something that has greatly saddened me. Unfortunately it took an event in my own life to actually spur me into action. With humans being such a social species it is terrible to see in this modern age people becoming depressed because they are lonely. Before I actually go ahead with this I'd like to see what people think and would appreciate as much feedback as possible.

The idea is essentially to run a society that could involve a large proportion of the boards’ population; those who would be interested in helping out and those actually participating, with a purposeful lack of distinction between the two groups other than shared enjoyment

The society would function in a way similar to those major groups found across the world such as The Lunch Club albeit it with an entirely different purpose. For ease I was thinking of utilizing Google Buzz (or FB?) and allowing people to remain anonymous. On the main buzz page people could suggest/request activities and then decided upon events would be posted on boards.ie where people could opt in. The system would be centralized but based on size could be broken down into buzz pages such as boards: fitness etc with the parent thread being updated with anything suggested. I suspect initially activities would be small such as cinema, comedy and gig outings or running and athletics clubs etc. I would hope in time the diversity of the boards.ie population would mean users could offer their classes/services etc up at a reduced rate for example and essentially grow an online community into a human one.

I was also pondering whether a ‘learn / teach’ system would be welcome. Essentially it would offer people a chance to teach something they are good at to someone who will return the favour. There is nothing more dangerous than having too much time with your own mind. I’m hoping as a community to give people options that allow them to experience things they thought they had lost, to find brightness in dark places and most of all to be happy. Although the primary reason for the society would be for socializing and giving people an outlet in the real world I would also like it to actually be something that it’s great to be part of for everyone involved.

Essentially what I’m wondering folks is who would welcome such a social club based on boards.ie, who would be willing to help out if it took off and most importantly do you have any feedback?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Mods I’d really appreciate your understanding and also your insight here. I understand this thread is not based on a personal issue of mine but it is seeking to alleviate the personal issues of others.

During my time with 3 different accounts here I have

Gonna stop you there and ask why?

Then I may trust you and read further

FWIW I fail to see the PI here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pronoiaparty

First account was ancient so created a new one when I forgot the password and er email address. The second account was good up until the site went down and then I felt I may as well start a new account with a more upbeat username. Third account is, well, this one.

Oh and I believe the usernames were:

*Primordialegg
    *Busterhighman

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Personal Issues.

Advertisement