Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save Beach Rides

Options
  • 05-03-2010 3:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

The Cork County Council is proposing to change the bylaws regarding activities on beaches. One of the proposals is to ban horse riding on all Cork beaches between 11 am and 7 pm, outside these times a specific license will be required.

Beach riding is very popular in Cork and if this is passed it is only a matter of time before other County Councils enforce similar changes in their areas.

Please, everyone, make written submissions to:

Secretary,
    Coastal Management Committee,
    Ardmanagh House,
    Ardmanagh,
    Schull,
    Co. Cork

by 15 March 2010

There is a facebook page set up, Cork People Versus Ridiculous Beach Bylaws.

What next will be banned if the bylaws go through: dogs will have to kept on a leash of less than 2 metres while on the beach between 11am an 7 pm. Jogging in sand dunes. Archery. Paint-balling. Golf. Bonfires. Quad bikes, or any other mechanically propelled vehicle will be prohibited in the dunes at all times.

Please write a protest letter/fax/email/phone call.

The more protesters, the better.

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Divisional%20Services/Coastal%20%26%20Recreation

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think I'd pretty much ban all of those outright.

Consider having the horse restriction changed to summer months only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Archery. Paint-balling. Golf. Bonfires. Quad bikes, or any other mechanically propelled vehicle will be prohibited in the dunes at all times.

No problem with horseriding on the beach but what I don't like about the horse riding is the horse sh*t which gets left behind! I go to Inchydoney quite regularly and I've yet to see any horse rider get off their horse and clean up after them. I know you're probably going to say "it's the same with dogs" and I know that's true too. But, no, I won't be writing to anyone to try stop this by-law going through as I believe it will make the beach a cleaner place.

Wrt to the list of above activities above, I'd be with Victor, I'd ban them all too, though I can't say I've ever heard or seen paintballing in any sand dunes...yet :D

The beach is a natural place where people go to walk and relax, let's keep it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Victor wrote: »
    I think I'd pretty much ban all of those outright.

Consider having the horse restriction changed to summer months only.

Do you not think the beach is an amenity to be enjoyed by all in a responsible fashion? I have no problem with restrictions on the sand dunes to help prevent erosion but the foreshore should be no problem.

Do you restrictions on times for horse riders to only work in the summer? This wouldn't help tourism as every tourist ad had a picture of treks on the beach. Most treks would be about 2 or 3 hours and people on holidays are less likely to get up at silly o clock to go on if restrictions are in place.

Horse poo is pretty much recycled grass, it won't kill you or make you blind. There are some places that have sewage directly piped into the water that are a lot more dangerous.

The beach is a relaxing place but where do you draw the line if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Good grief OP. Quad bikes, horses, bonfires, golf and horses are definitely not appropriate for a busy beach in summertime. As an aside why don't horse people collect their animals poop when they are out with them on public highways?.

• Advertisement

You mentioned horses twice! ;)

There is room for everyone on the beach as long as all behave in a responsible considerate fashion. Horse poo (herbivores) are nowhere near as dangerous as dog/cat poo (carnivores)

You mentioned horses twice! ;)

There is room for everyone on the beach as long as all behave in a responsible considerate fashion. Horse poo (herbivores) are nowhere near as dangerous as dog/cat poo (carnivores)

And you mention the harmlessness of Horse poop twice, it still doesn't mean i don't mind walking in it on the beach or the road, some beachs in particular can be busy a lot more often then the odd sunny day. Staying on the scatalogical theme, people are expected to dispose of nappies and pick up dog poop on the beach, why do you not clean up after your animals? room is at a premium in busy times, and people don't exactly want to be dodging horses marching and pooping as they are playing sports or building sandcastles.

The beach is a civic amenity and needs regulation in the water and on the sand, thats why there are lifeguards, no fishing signs, no littering signs, no jekski areas and all the rest of it, it's for the common good and all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

+1 to getting rid of the morons on the quads.

The tide will take horse poop out. It is pretty harmless stuff and cannot be compared to the likes of dog/human waste. The beach itself is not a sterile place.

'The common good' now that is a saying that can have ill boding!

I do agree that horse poo should be removed from car parks.

Birds will clean up horse poo especially if the horse has been fed corn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

dahamsta wrote: »
    +1 to getting rid of the morons on the quads.

+1 to getting rid of quad bikes with a shot gun

• Advertisement

Here's the actual proposals

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/187275461.pdf

Eminently sensible if you ask me, for too long our beaches have been at the mercy who care only for themselves and endemic anti social behaviour. Bout time the council started getting serious.

'The common good' now that is a saying that can have ill boding!

Why's that then?

Update
    * 112 letters were entered online.
    * 107 letters were submitted to the Coastal Management Committee.
    * 4 of the letters submitted expressed full support for the proposals.
    * 103 of the letters submitted expressed concerns or objections.

Thank you to everyone who voiced their opinions, and we will update these pages as and when the final bye-law proposal is published.

http://www.westcorktoday.com/bbl.php

So these bye-laws were published, kep points amongst them:

No dogs off a leash allowed on beaches between 12 - 6pm.

no horses on a beach between 11am - 7pm, and all horsepoop to be collected by their owners, you reading this Doctor Evil?:cool:.

No motorised vehicles allowed on beaches.

No windsurfing/kitesurfing allowed near bathers.

No recreational craft like jet skis allowed anywhere except where the Council explicitly allow for.

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/734365272.pdf

All in all, they are eminently sensible bye laws. Hopefully the hordes from Corks urban areas that descend onto the beaches this summer will take note. Probably not though, so thats why i hope these bye laws are well policed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

No dogs off a leash allowed on beaches between 12 - 6pm.

no horses on a beach between 11am - 7pm, and all horsepoop to be collected by their owners, you reading this Doctor Evil?:cool:.

I really can't see them policing this. Every time I've been down to Inchydoney there's always been dogs off their leashes and/or horses trotting around as there's so much space for them there.

How are they going to communicate these bye-laws to dog and horse owners? Imagine trying to tell a dog owner that their dog should be on a leash...most of them would prob tell you where to go!!

I really can't see them policing this. Every time I've been down to Inchydoney there's always been dogs off their leashes and/or horses trotting around as there's so much space for them there.

It can be policed alright, on peak days there is generally a gardai or warden presence on the busy beaches.
    How are they going to communicate these bye-laws to dog and horse owners? Imagine trying to tell a dog owner that their dog should be on a leash...most of them would prob tell you where to go!!

It's quite easy, tell the offender their reg has been noted and the gardai have been called.

I've done it myself, some scruffy norrie plonker let his two dogs off a leash who then promptly got into a scrap with another dog (who was on a leash) and their owner, he got lippy with the dog owner until i ran to her aid (she was an old women ffs), and he shushed up and disappeared sharpish when I called him on his stupidity and said the law was on its way.

Then again, the large stick in my hand may also have helped matters :pac:.

I've been going to Garryvoe since I was 2 and spent most of my childhood summers there, and a lot of time since. I live in the area now and visit it at least twice a month at various times of the day. I've never seen a Garda or warden there. Never.

The motorised vehicles I can understand, but dogs off the leash? I don't even have a dog or particularly like them and I think that's ridiculous. There are already laws in place to deal with dodgy dogs, why do they feel the need for this nonsense?

Presumably one of their second cousins thrice removed was once growled at by a poodle. :rolleyes:

I've been going to Garryvoe since I was 2 and spent most of my childhood summers there, and a lot of time since. I live in the area now and visit it at least twice a month at various times of the day. I've never seen a Garda or warden there. Never.

But you're experiences aren't definitive are they? I've lived near a beach for most of my life and regularly see Gardai & Wardens there on busy days. As well as that I know locals are quick to call the authorities in case of anything like anti social behaviour occurring.

Shiiit I've even spent weekends down in G'voe and I've seen gardai there, usually to deal with scummer kids from the city mind.
    The motorised vehicles I can understand, but dogs off the leash? I don't even have a dog or particularly like them and I think that's ridiculous. There are already laws in place to deal with dodgy dogs, why do they feel the need for this nonsense?

It's a quality of life issue for beach users which you seem to be ignoring here. There are some dog owners who are so stupid they can't see the harm in letting their pooches off a leash even when they know their dog will set upon any human or beast in the vicinity, believe or not this upsets people even if the dog is only being friendly.

That's why the time limits have been introduced = early AM or late PM with a deserted beach and you can leave a dog off a leash. between 12-6pm when the beach is likely to be full of patrons then keep a dog on a leash, it's common sense really that most dog owners would follow anyway, but there's always one or two fools......

As I said, and I really dislike repeating myself, there are already laws in place to deal with this.

I also notice that the time limits are blanket, despite the fact that there's a massive difference in attendance at beaches from summer to winter, and even weekdays to weekends. So not only is it a redundant law, it was written by a moron that doesn't even understand how the seaside actually works.

As I said, and I really dislike repeating myself, there are already laws in place to deal with this.

Deal with what? what laws are you on about?
    I also notice that the time limits are blanket, despite the fact that there's a massive difference in attendance at beaches from summer to winter, and even weekdays to weekends. So not only is it a redundant law, it was written by a moron that doesn't even understand how the seaside actually works.

:rolleyes: did you even bother reading the link before your rant?
    2.Scope of applicability

These Bye-laws shall apply to the beaches specified in Schedule 1 and shall only apply
    during the Summer Season as defined in Section 5.

Deal with what? what laws are you on about?

Talk about the pot and the kettle. Did you read MY post, in which I already explained this? Was the sentence too long for you or something?
    did you even bother reading the link before your rant?

I did check the document but not that section. Again, stop with the selective nonsense, I clearly also mentioned the difference between weekdays and weekends.

Did you write this garbage legislation? Is that why you're positively anal about it, and so easily offended?

All this legislation succeeds in doing is demonstrating the singular lack of ability of our legislators. I'm sure they mean well, but they don't understand how laws work, they don't do proper research, and their entire lives are spent pandering to NIMBYs and morons. It's pathetic.

• Advertisement

Talk about the pot and the kettle. Did you read MY post, in which I already explained this? Was the sentence too long for you or something?

You didn't explain anything sunshine, just opined that you think previous laws 'should' cover dogs on a beach.

Unsurprisingly of course you're wrong, oh so wrong. A set of comprehensive bye laws for beach behaviour is essential and long overdue for any well patronised public beach, of which there are many in the Cork Co.Co area. there are many idiots -blow ins who think they know it all because they spent a summer at a beach for instance - who think they are a law unto themselves.

This pig headedness results in eejits using jet ski's where swimmers congregate, dogs fouling in area's where kids are building sandcastles, tossers on their 4x4 yokes driving on dunes where people are camping, beach furniture being destroyed for firewood etc.

If ye were a local, then you might understand better;).

But don't let that stop you from engaging in neverending barstool whinging about the council:rolleyes:.
    I did check the document but not that section. Again, stop with the selective nonsense, I clearly also mentioned the difference between weekdays and weekends.

Selective nonsense? Lol! Clearly you didn't read the document otherwise you wouldn't have went off on one in your previous post.

And fyi, in the summer time beaches can be as busy on weekdays as on weekends, hence why the times are appropriate. Again this is the kind of thing any local would know.
    Did you write this garbage legislation? Is that why you're positively anal about it, and so easily offended?

Yeah I wrote it, you got me there:rolleyes:.
    All this legislation succeeds in doing is demonstrating the singular lack of ability of our legislators. I'm sure they mean well, but they don't understand how laws work, they don't do proper research, and their entire lives are spent pandering to NIMBYs and morons. It's pathetic.

Ya ya ya, save it for the barstool lad.

If ye were a local, then you might understand better.

I'll stop there and leave the rest of the argument to you. When you learn to actually read properly, come back to me.

Advertisement