Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone think?

Options
  • 05-03-2010 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

That we got an especially rough deal with the HL english course this year?
    Considering King Lear (as my english teacher said) is one of the hardests shakespearean plays on the LC, with the plot and subplot and that.
    Then we get, Cultural Context(which NO ONE is banking on coming up, which is a shame IMO), Literary Genre, and General Vision & Viewpoint.
    Theeeennnn, we get to the poets :eek: I've only studied four so far, but I've done Eavan Boland, Adrienne Rich, W.B. Yeats and Patrick Kavanagh. Fair enough the poets aren't that bad, but prediciting which ones can come up is especially difficult this year!

I think a boycott on the LC is in order. :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

As a repeat with experience of covering two English courses, I don't think you got a rough deal with the English course this year at all. There's a better selection of poets this year; you've been saved from having to study the dreadfully boring Elizabeth Bishop, and instead have the much more interesting and engaging Eavan Boland. And King Lear isn't that much more difficult than MacBeth, and there's more scope to write about King Lear.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Bishop dreadfully boring?not at all!as for dear old rich...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Bishop dreadfully boring?not at all!as for dear old rich...
    Your mileage may vary, but all the fish related poems did nothing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

She was one of my favourite.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Think that's bad? Hamlet's on next year, poor suckers in fifth year....

As for the poets, all I'm going to do are Eavan Boland, Adrienne Rich and Yeats. One is bound to come on the basis of a female poet or an Irish poet. I'm banking on Yeats.

Can anyone stand Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice? Now that's dreadfully boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

That we got an especially rough deal with the HL english course this year?

No we haven't got a rough deal because we have not had a cancelled paper for the real thing with a very popular poet appearing on the cancelled paper but not the actual paper
    Considering King Lear (as my english teacher said) is one of the hardests shakespearean plays on the LC, with the plot and subplot and that.

It might be hard but what is the purpose of studying for.
    Then we get, Cultural Context(which NO ONE is banking on coming up, which is a shame IMO), Literary Genre, and General Vision & Viewpoint.

No one is talking about which Comparatives are coming up and so to say no one is banking on CC is a complete understatement.
    Theeeennnn, we get to the poets :eek: I've only studied four so far, but I've done Eavan Boland, Adrienne Rich, W.B. Yeats and Patrick Kavanagh. Fair enough the poets aren't that bad, but prediciting which ones can come up is especially difficult this year!

It is difficult each year, some predictions are right and some are wrong.
    I think a boycott on the LC is in order. :P

Just because you are feeling sorry for yourself that HL English is not easy doesn't mean that we should all boycott the LC because I certainly don't want to go through this year again regardless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

To be honest, I think we've got it quite good this year.

GVV is similar to CC (obviously they're different, but there is a bit of overlap), and LG isn't too bad.

The poets that we have are nice, a good selection.

King Lear isn't that bad, to be honest. Even the language isn't that bad in it. I'll be honest and say that I found Romeo and Juliet, for the JC, more testing than King Lear, but maybe that's to do with the fact that I am better at English now than I was then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

This, combined with having a nutter of a teacher and absolutely ZERO interest in poetry/shakespearian literature, makes my blood boil. I for one think it's ridiculous that it's not an open book exam. In its current state, the LC isn't much more than a memory test, and doesn't require an understanding of the texts and poems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

we so did not get a raw deal, lear in my opinion and my english teachers is one of shakespeares greatest tragedies, which means there is more scope for it, and the subplots and that sort a jizz gives you better scope for essays.

poets? only done 2 so far. on longley now, it aint bad, the poets are grand really though

and the texts. i actually love CC because its straight forward, easy to do, same with literary genre.

i reckon boland is a definate this year cos she didnt come up last year. but if you look at the poetry book for next years and see who doesnt overlap, then there is a really high chance that since they are going off the course for next year that they will come up. thats what i am reckoning to anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

In 5th Year at the moment and our teacher says that Hamlet is the hardest of the Shakespearean plays and Macbeth and King Lear are easier to answer on. Oh and we have the wonderful Hopkins and Rich on our poetry course. It's not to bad though. Anyway, each year is relatively the same. No one year gets it easier than the other. If you're going to put the work in, you're going to do good regardless of what play or poetry etc.

• Advertisement

I like our course...poets are grand (Kavanagh is love), Lear is easy enough tbh (plot and sub plot are v similar so not too much going on) and I like CC & LG (GVV not so much).

Advertisement