Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorway speed rant.

• 05-03-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

If you're driving at a speed in a car/van/jeep/non speed restricted vehicle on a motorway which forces trucks to pull into the overtaking lane, you're driving too slow and have no business being on the motorway as you are not competant enough to be driving on them, do other drivers a favour and get back on the old roads.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nice useful rant..................I'm sure all those "slow" drivers will now see this thread so it'll all be sorted later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Gerroutameway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Cabaal wrote: »
    nice useful rant..................I'm sure all those "slow" drivers will now see this thread so it'll all be sorted later

Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

What's a motorway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

i see where he's coming from with the rant.....as an everyday m50 user i am appalled at the lack of lane sense of some drivers.....the biggest offenders from what i have seen is middle aged + ladies in their own little world toddling along in the overtaking lane at 80kph and not a care in the world. Flashing lights etc they are oblivious to....i just have to go into the slow lane to get around them.....not the game plan on motorway discipline.

• Advertisement

Bearcat wrote: »
    i see where he's coming from with the rant.....as an everyday m50 user i am appalled at the lack of lane sense of some drivers.....the biggest offenders from what i have seen is middle aged + ladies in their own little world toddling along in the overtaking lane at 80kph and not a care in the world. Flashing lights etc they are oblivious to....i just have to go into the slow lane to get around them.....not the game plan on motorway discipline.

How does it feel so for a truck driver who is stuck behind a car doing 80kmh on the inside lane of a motorway, the truck driver has to pull into the overtaking lane(which it is illegal for him to do) doing the 90 kmh restricted speed where he is holding up people trying to do 120 kmh which leads to traffic congestion caused by one person who is incompetant to be driving on motorways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

If the truck driver didn't pull into the overtaking lane, which is illegal, there would be no problems. ;) Getting stuck behind slow drivers comes hand in hand with driving everyday. Just suck it up.

Its just a rant, I'm only expressing an opinion. If you don't feel competant enough as a driver to drive at motorway speeds, you shouldnt be driving on a motorway. You will fail a driving test for driving too slow in a town(failing to make due progress) so why shouldnt the same rule apply to motorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

When my father (72 years old approx) bought a new car 2 years ago , my brother in law drove him to pick up the car and decided to drive home behind him, but dad didnt go above 35 miles per hour the whole way causing an awful queue of angry drivers. My Bro n law eventually got pissed off too and overtook him.
    When dad finally got home my bro n law asked why so slow, dad told him he was doing 60 the whole way didnt know until further inspection found the spedometer was in kilometers per hour and not miles per hour as he was used to.

So when stuck behing an old deer in the fast lane just remember she thinks she is doin 80mph when in fact she is doing 50mph. Bless her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

You got stuck behind that guy this morning as well? N18 white HiAce taxi? I've never seen such bad driving in all my life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How does it feel so for a truck driver who is stuck behind a car doing 80kmh on the inside lane of a motorway, the truck driver has to pull into the overtaking lane(which it is illegal for him to do) doing the 90 kmh restricted speed where he is holding up people trying to do 120 kmh which leads to traffic congestion caused by one person who is incompetant to be driving on motorways.

Trucks are not allowed to go over 80 kph even on a motorway AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

What saying that trucks arent breaking the speed limit when over taking?? I was over taken by a truck the other day.. i was doing 100.. and he went past me..

Before someone replies about trucks being limited..

Length of speaker wire, 2 crocodile clips at each end, limiter fuse and a piece of earthed metal somewhere in the cab.. have seen it and done it.. knocks off the limiter..

What saying that trucks arent breaking the speed limit when over taking?? I was over taken by a truck the other day.. i was doing 100.. and he went past me..

Before someone replies about trucks being limited..

Length of speaker wire, 2 crocodile clips at each end, limiter fuse and a piece of earthed metal somewhere in the cab.. have seen it and done it.. knocks off the limiter..

What make of truck was it, must have been an awful long time ago, modern limiters are very very hard to fiddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What make of truck was it, must have been an awful long time ago, modern limiters are very very hard to fiddle.

Tesco openly admitted to me their trucks were limited to 95kph.

Drive on any major interurban and you will encounter plenty of trucks doing 90+

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Trucks are not allowed to go over 80 kph even on a motorway AFAIK

And cars arent allowed go over 120kmh, all I'm saying is that if a car is holding up trucks trying to do 90 kmh then the car is travelling too slow.

Have worked on and driven Tesco wagon's and theyre not set to 95kmh, speed limiters arent exact, worn tyres, different brands of tyre, differant size tyres etc will all change the tyres rolling radius which in turn alters the speed limiters settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Afaik Tesco are the only ones limited to 80kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

These slow dawdlers also encourage car drivers to hog the overtaking lane. What often happens is you get a line of traffic in the overtaking lane while lane 1 consists of a few well spaced dawdlers or "mimsers" as they're often referred to in the UK. Nobody wants to pull back into lane 1 because if they do they'll be up the arse of a mimser in seconds, will have to slow down to their snail's pace and probably get stuck behind them.

And the drivers who are staying in the overtaking lane (in an attempt to avoid the Hyundai Accent brigade) are often doing under the speed limit themselves. When I do an indicated 120 km/h on the M4, I am generally one of the fastest cars on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Scania - Between '01 and '03.. iirc

Have worked on and driven Tesco wagon's and theyre not set to 95kmh, speed limiters arent exact, worn tyres, different brands of tyre, differant size tyres etc will all change the tyres rolling radius which in turn alters the speed limiters settings.
    barry81 wrote: »
    Afaik Tesco are the only ones limited to 80kph.

I used to work there, take what you want from that its what I was told by the transport manager out in Donabate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

BrianD3 wrote: »
    These slow dawdlers also encourage car drivers to hog the overtaking lane. What often happens is you get a line of traffic in the overtaking lane while lane 1 consists of a few well spaced dawdlers or "mimsers" as they're often referred to in the UK. Nobody wants to pull back into lane 1 because if they do they'll be up the arse of a mimser in seconds, will have to slow down to their snail's pace and probably get stuck behind them.

And the drivers who are staying in the overtaking lane (in an attempt to avoid the Hyundai Accent brigade) are often doing under the speed limit themselves. When I do an indicated 120 km/h on the M4, I am generally one of the fastest cars on it.
    I travel on the M4 quite a lot and I nearly always have someone right on my tail while passing in the overtaking lane and doing around 125km/h, the amount of cars that speed on that road is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ocokev wrote: »
    When my father (72 years old approx) bought a new car 2 years ago , my brother in law drove him to pick up the car and decided to drive home behind him, but dad didnt go above 35 miles per hour the whole way causing an awful queue of angry drivers. My Bro n law eventually got pissed off too and overtook him.
    When dad finally got home my bro n law asked why so slow, dad told him he was doing 60 the whole way didnt know until further inspection found the spedometer was in kilometers per hour and not miles per hour as he was used to.

So when stuck behing an old deer in the fast lane just remember she thinks she is doin 80mph when in fact she is doing 50mph. Bless her.

If someone can't figure out the speed they are driving at, with a big speedo showing them their speed and the scale it's measured in, how are they safe to see what's at the end of their bonnet.

It goes back to the OP's rant, if you aren't competent to read your speedo don't drive. It's the drivers responsibility to be know their vehicle specifications before they set off not when they arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

cian1500ww wrote: »
    (M4) the amount of cars that speed on that road is unreal.

I use the M4/M6 every day. Leaving Dublin, the section after the tollgates is pretty good, with drivers keeping left and overtaking right. I can usually stick the cruise control on to an indicated 150, real speed 145.

From the tollgates into town, it isn't a real Motorway at all, it's just two lines of traffic doing 80 and 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Spotted on the M1 yesterday afternoon a lady doing approx 80kmph in a 07 520D. needless to say she was oblivious to the chaos she was causing..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Bearcat wrote: »

Garda car driving in the middle lane of the M50 yesterday doing about 90 whilst the inside driving lane was totally clear. If they cant do it then no one will. Lane discipline is awful on the m50. Maybe in time people will learn and already i have noticed people pull into the inside lane after i overtake them and pull back across the middle lane and into the inside lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Its just a rant, I'm only expressing an opinion. If you don't feel competant enough as a driver to drive at motorway speeds, you shouldnt be driving on a motorway. You will fail a driving test for driving too slow in a town(failing to make due progress) so why shouldnt the same rule apply to motorways.

I feel more than competent enough to drive on a motorway. I sometimes choose to sit at 55mph, because, well I just feel like it. The speed limit isn't a target and coming up behind slow drivers is just part and parcel of driving.

Making progress in towns is different, if you choose to drive slowly then the other drivers have no way of overtaking, whereas on a motorway they do

Onkle wrote: »
    I feel more than competent enough to drive on a motorway. I sometimes choose to sit at 55mph, because, well I just feel like it. The speed limit isn't a target and coming up behind slow drivers is just part and parcel of driving.

Making progress in towns is different, if you choose to drive slowly then the other drivers have no way of overtaking, whereas on a motorway they do

55 mph = 88.5 kmh would it really be too much to ask to just hold it at 90kmh to let a truck run on its limiter, to you a slow driver is just a nuisance to a truck driver its costing money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

to a truck driver its costing money.

Tough. Peoples speed on a motorway should not be dictated by other drivers, that is how crashes happen.I understand the point you raised at the start of the thread, but asking people to hurry up cause you need to make money is a poor reason, If that is the case we will all need to travel at 100mph to allow buses, taxi's, trucks, sales reps etc get their job done.

People need more patiance on a motorway, clam down a bit and plan you route, prepared to make changes as you go along to allow for slow traffic.

55 mph = 88.5 kmh would it really be too much to ask to just hold it at 90kmh to let a truck run on its limiter, to you a slow driver is just a nuisance to a truck driver its costing money.

how is it costing money.

the diff between 88.5 and 90 is not going to save time.
    would save money, slightly less revs, slightly less fuel, slightly less cost :D

• Advertisement

how is it costing money.

the diff between 88.5 and 90 is not going to save time.
    would save money, slightly less revs, slightly less fuel, slightly less cost :D

We're talking vehicles running 4/5 mpg, running flat on the limiter is making a huge fuel saving over on off throttle driving

We're talking vehicles running 4/5 mpg, running flat on the limiter is making a huge fuel saving over on off throttle driving

4/5 mpg, what the hell are they, monster trucks.

A standard 40ft artic full loaded should get 9mpg average, much higher on motorway conditions.

don't they have cruise control so can use that rather than have the limiter constantly interfering with engine power to maintain speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ive no probs personally with speed on motorways, just as long as theyre doing it in the appropriate lane... the current middlelane driving horseshit is a different story though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

I can totally understsnd the frustration of the OP regards the dawdlers on motorways. The law that bans HGVs and Buses is directly 'cut and pasted' from the UK one, which bans them from 'the lane closest to the median' of a Motorway. Fine, if you got a 3-4 lane Motorway that's standard in the UK, but daft with our 2 lane system since followed to it's logical conclusion would mean nothing but lines of trucks and buses all stuck behind someone doing 60kmh.

The law is even more of an ass, since Feb 2009, when the speed limits of coaches were raised to 100kmh on Dual carriageways and Motorways, but the rule on using the overtaking lane was not revised. Now a coach on the N7 can happily barrel along at 100kmh in the 3rd lane, overtaking anyone but as soon as it get's to the M7 at Naas, cannot legally overtake anything including HGVs that are legally limited at 80kmh, or 'Non-Agricultural Tractors' (ie fastracks towing diggers) doing 60. So legally and safely you can drive at 100kmh, but not overtake anything.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I know this isn't what the OP wants to hear but if the motorist is in the left hand lane they do not have to travel at 120KmH or anything like it. I get the point about forcing trucks into the overtaking lane but you have to appreciate that the limit is the limit and not compulorary.
    I'd be more concerned about cars trying to intimidate others out of the overtaking lane because 120KmH is too slow for them.

Quoting myself, I'm only expressing an opinion here, basically IMO if you're holding up trucks(driving within the speedlimits) on a motorway you're driving too slow and really should be taking another more suitable route for your driving style/competancy.

• Advertisement

I know this isn't what the OP wants to hear but if the motorist is in the left hand lane they do not have to travel at 120KmH or anything like it. I get the point about forcing trucks into the overtaking lane but you have to appreciate that the limit is the limit and not compulorary.
    I'd be more concerned about cars trying to intimidate others out of the overtaking lane because 120KmH is too slow for them.

I have no problem with drivers driving 60/65 mph and I know that the limit isnt a target but when you're driving style is hindering the general progress on a road you really are driving too slow, a farmer was recently prosecuted for holding up traffic on a secondary road so according to some peoples ideas on here if he wanted to drive at 20 mph he should be allowed to, I really don't see any difference between the two situations.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/road-ban-for-tractor-traffic-jam-farmer-1635180.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Patser wrote: »
    The law that bans HGVs and Buses is directly 'cut and pasted' from the UK one, which bans them from 'the lane closest to the median' of a Motorway

The obviously forgot to "cut and paste" it properly. No issue with using lane 2 of a 2 lane dual carriageway or motorway in the UK with any vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

When I learned to drive I was always told that you should always be driving no less then -10% of the speed limit (Unless weather and traffic conditions dictate otherwise). Otherwise you are holding up progression for other road users.

I find myself using my indicator more than anything on Irish motorways indicating in and out of the overtaking lane to pass by people driving waayyy to slow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

This is a ridiculous thread imo. The argument is irrelevant in this country given our disregard for other motorists and the rules of the road.

The majority of truckers in my driving experience drive in whatever lane they wish.

It is a problem in the UK where one truck is travelling very slightly faster than another and it can take several minutes for the second truck to make a successful manoeuvre. All truckers keep left there except at entry junctions and overtaking.

Came back from the UK last night and it's like jumping into a dodgem.

Advertisement