Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting up kitchen cupboards

• 05-03-2010 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi all! I got a few pre-assembled cupboards second hand that need to go up on the walls in the kitchen and I'm just wondering if it would be a recipe for disaster for me to attempt this, or should I get a little man with a drill in?

One needs to go above the sink you see and when I knock on the walls they all sound hollow like plasterboard, so I don't want to end up with a. the cupboard falling on my taps b. me drilling through a pipe behind the wall or c. the cupboards ripping a chunk out of my wall. Just for info, the cupboards have holes in the back for big jaysus screws to go through.

Am a bit of a newbie to this whole diy malarky as you can tell :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Invest in a stud dector & laser level, in the long term they will always come in useful and in the short term they should be cheaper then bringing somebody in to do the work.

Once you find your studs put a rail up and attach the cupboards to it. This will hold them up securely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

Thanks a mil! And this rail of which you speak? Where would I find such a thing? I'm in way out of my depth aren't I?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Some form of a timber batten ie 2x1 etc. You may need to mark the position of the batten on the wall and then cut away the plaster board to enable the batten to sit right up against the studs, which in turn will bring your units closer to the wall. BE CAREFUL of pipes and cables behind the plasterboard!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

Eek! This is sounding more and more like a job that I'm going to make a balls of!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I can't remember were I got it when I put some presses up in my kitchen but I'd presume most big DIY stores should stock it, B&Q, WOODIES, Buckleys etc.

Cabinet Hanging Rail.JPG

Just bring along a print out of above link and you will be able to show what you are looking for.

If you do go ahead and mount these yourself don't forget to measure twice before you mark anything out for drilling ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

is it an outside wall or timberframe or inside stud partition?

Advertisement