Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M-Sport alignment v M3 alignment

• 05-03-2010 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

OK here is a challenge for the real tech-heads out there.

I have an 05 BMW E46 320 CD M Sport Coupe. I had the wheel alignment done last year by a guy I know in a local tyre centre who insisted on setting the car's alignment up as an M3 - (which as many of you know is a very different car) he got very excited and started talking about how the camber on these cars was different Blah Blah etc - he seemed to know what he was talking about so I went with it.

I recently have noticed the inside of the front tyres chewing up (10,000 miles on tyres). I know the car is in good shape otherwise as I had a BMW health check done on it about 4 months ago.

My question is was he wrong to set the alignment to M3 specs or could they be the same as the M Sport?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I'd reckon he was wrong, I cannot imagine the geometry settings would be the same for an M3 and a standard 3 series - in fact there is no way in hell they are the same.

Considering the fact that you will have different wheel widths, different spring rates (presumably), lower ride height, different damper tune etc etc etc and different customer expectations in terms of tyre wear, you can be guaranteed that the camber settings on an M3 will be more aggressive than a standard 3 series.

Which is why your tyres are fooked!

I'd say he just got carried away and wanted to set it up as an M3 for you!

How did the geometry settings affect the steering feel and handling?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭teelinboy

Hi Mr. David - thanks for your reply.

The car had been tramlining a bit beforehand but up here in donegal there are plenty of dodgy roads just made for that. I have 225 x 40 x 18's on the front which are standard on this car and the tyre wear had been pretty even on the old tyres.

I didnt notice much difference in the tramlining on the new tyres (Falken 452's as opposed to Dunlop Sports that were on it) but tyres did feel a bit light when cornering and at high speed - other than that the car handles fine. I have always suspected the set up wasn't quite right but only really noticed tyre wear recently upon close inspection - I dont want to go back to the same guy 8 months later to get it fixed.

I was hoping someone out there who works with wheel alignment or better still has good knowledge of these cars could give me a definitive answer. You confirm what I have suspected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Check all the suspension components for wear - ball joints, bushings etc could cause tramlining.

Also could be the toe setting.

Ok - will do - thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i would be very weary about setting up your car with the alignment of an M3. When manufacturers set up the alignment numbers for each model car, it is done with the ride height and the weight of the car being taken into account for.
    Your car and the m3 will differ here... and a result the alignment will not be ideal for your car.
    If it was me i would have it put back to the original manufactures spec for your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I would suspect the large alloys causing the tramlining.

Unless you've fitted an aftermarket suspension kit to your car, the camber is not adjustable in the front - only the toe is adjustable. Ideally, you should check your front wishbone bushings for excessive wear - when everything is tight up front, check the tracking.

Hi Robtri,

I agree with you and will get the car set up to original settings. Hope I don't have to go main dealer though - I know that can be very expensive.

I just wonder if most alignment centres understand the difference between a standard 3 series, my car which has sports suspension and the M3 which is a different animal altogether. I suppose it depends on the equipment they are using as well as expertise and experience.

Hi Captain Slow

Everything on the car is factory fitted, Im aware that the 18 inch alloys have a tendency to tramline - BMW in Sligo told me suspension was fine (about 5 months ago) from what you and Mr David say it is probably the Toe setting that has been messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

320dmsport.jpg
    msport.jpg

This is the data that is listed for both 320d and m3.On both they show the set up for msport.TBH i dont think its right tho'.

Advertisement