Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any sign of spring?

Options
  • 05-03-2010 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Today it's sunny but very cold and I still have no daffodils! Just snowdrops and crocuses so far. They say spring begins when the Elder tree bears leaves; sadly all the elder trees are still dormant in my area.
    Anyone notice any signs of spring in your area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I have a row of Elders at the back of the garden, still just buds on them, no sign of them opening yet. Thet frost is not helping things at all !!

By the looks of it, at least another week of it, well according to BBC weather people.

Secman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have a black elder and there are two tiny leaves on the end of one branch, other than that it's just buds. Lots of daffodils up and ready to open but not a sign of yellow yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Its very cold out there... All I have seen out are snow drops and they are still all small and stunted.. When are any of ye think of planting seeds? I reckon I will be waiting another 3/4 weeks for anything. Can just about prep soil and clean up... will start on seed trays this weekend I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I just saw a robin redbreast. Very spring-like indeed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm not going to sow any outdoor seeds just yet either. As soon as my tomato, french bean and pea seeds arrive I'll start them indoors. I put in some white and red onion sets in the autumn and they've gotten a good start.

• Advertisement

z_topaz wrote: »
    I just saw a robin redbreast. Very spring-like indeed!

We have a pair of robins in our garden now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

well i was able to take my jumper off today while digging and fixing the allotment up. That has to say something, as up til now, i've had scarves and all sorts on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

snowdrops and crocuses out, have seen several daffodils, and my forsythia, clematis and honeysuckle are all budding.

Advertisement