Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody got experience of growing asparagus?

Options
  • 05-03-2010 12:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a pack of 4 asparagus plants in Aldi last week- it's something I've wanted to try growing for ages. Has anyone any tips, and also how much space would it need? I have a raised bed but would prefer not to have the asparagus take up premanent space there. Would it do well along a south-facing wall, and could I put one of the plants into a pot?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

i think it is grown in drills like spuds,
    here is some info
    and an Irish site

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if it was worth growing really, and if anyone had had success with it. I'll give it a lash anyway since I've bought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

they need a sandy or gravely bed, last year little or none were grown, they all failed, even in the largest estates in the country, why no one knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

it will take three years before you can harvest it! But they should produce for about 12 years after that. Plus if the weather is good you can get a couple of crops a week from them!

I'd love to grow them but am renting at the minute - there's no way I'm leaving my asparagus for someone else to enjoy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to put them into my raised vegetable bed so I'll put a couple of plants into a border a see how they go :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement