Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gel nails - square, pointed or not at all?

• 05-03-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting gel nails done again. I had them once, about a year ago, and loved them, felt so glamourous. My own nails seem to break very easily, and I never manage to keep polish un-chipped for longer than a night, whether I do it myself or pay big bucks for a pro to do them. However, I gotta admit that, when I took the gels off, my own nails underneath were destroyed. I swore I wouldn't do it again.

But, here I am, again thinking they'd be nice (was out with a friend last night who had them and was very jealous). She had hers tapering slightly, making more 'traditional' pointed nails, rather than squared tops as I had last time. I liked the look, but not sure which I preferred.

So, I'd love opinions on whether you think gel nails are a good idea or not (either looks wise or cos of what they do to your real nails) and, if you like them, if you prefer square or tapered / pointy / rounded. Just out of interest :)

Gel nails? 14 votes

Yep - Square tips
    0% 0 votes
    Yep - tapered / rounded tips
    64% 9 votes
    Nope - don't bother
    35% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

DONT DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am still trying to get my nails back in some kind of reasonable state, since i got 3 week manicures done , basically gel nails , I got them off in early Jan , still destroyed
    Have to admit I do love the look though !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I'd say don't do it as it can take a long time for you nails to get back to normal! but if you are going for them then personally I prefer them rounded - I think the square look is just a little bit to harsh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ryansdaughter

Think it depends on how good the person doing them is really!

I think the rounded ones can look great - like you say, really glam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

If you wanted to have gel nails for an occasion, I would say Hell No! However if you wanted to have them for at least 6 months I would say Yes!
    The reason your nails will be such bad condition when I first get them done is because the of prep work involved. The natural oils in your nails have to be taken away because the gel won't hold on that. The filing does awful damage. However, when you are getting the refills all the filing is done to the gel on your nail more so. Having the refills and keeping the gel nails for longer is better than having just the one set.
    Your nails will have to be looked after once you remove the gel. It is timely and costly but as you said, the glamour feeling is a nice feeling!!
    Squoval is the term the nail technicians use to square with a rounded finish. Not square but not oval!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

Hi Ladies .....
    have you tried biosculpture gel nails.
    They cause no damage to you're natural nails because we don't have to buff your own nail plate AT ALL to apply them
    They also soak off in 20mins.
    you can do overlays with them using a colour gel or french gel, or you can extend the nails using tips or gel sculptures.
    even if you use tips the glue doesny damage your natural nail because we put a layer of clear gel on before we attach tips.
    they are really thin too. very natural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

oh ps - sorry i dont mean to promote a brand - mods delete if needed please! thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Only get them if you are going to keep them! They do wreck your real nails as you know. :) I had them for years, after I got rid of them my real nails where so thin and flakey and kept breaking for months and months. I think it took a full 6 months at least for them to get back to normal. Seriously. I would love them again, but finances won't permit. :(

Anyhoo, I think the square ends look best with a french gel manicure, but if you are going to keep the clear gel all over then the rounder classic nail looks best. Especially if you get nail art/glitter or those cute little diamonte stick ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Hmmm, gotta admit am surprised at the number of people who say I shouldn't get them! Is that solely cos of the damage they wreak on your real nails, or also that you don't like the look of them?

(I think sometimes they can look a bit tacky, if they're too long or haven't had refills done in a while and are growing out...)

Still undecided, though appreciate your comments, cheers guys! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Hmmm, gotta admit am surprised at the number of people who say I shouldn't get them! Is that solely cos of the damage they wreak on your real nails, or also that you don't like the look of them?

(I think sometimes they can look a bit tacky, if they're too long or haven't had refills done in a while and are growing out...)

Still undecided, though appreciate your comments, cheers guys! :)

my impression of gel nails?

kprice041109_01-full.jpg

HardyEustace, agreed those sorta nails are rotten, but don't you think this looks nice?gel-nails-kitsilano-vancouver.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

mini mouse wrote: »
    Hi Ladies .....
    have you tried biosculpture gel nails.
    They cause no damage to you're natural nails because we don't have to buff your own nail plate AT ALL to apply them
    They also soak off in 20mins.
    you can do overlays with them using a colour gel or french gel, or you can extend the nails using tips or gel sculptures.
    even if you use tips the glue doesny damage your natural nail because we put a layer of clear gel on before we attach tips.
    they are really thin too. very natural.
    sounds amazing!! where can you get this done? how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

HardyEustace, agreed those sorta nails are rotten, but don't you think this looks nice?gel-nails-kitsilano-vancouver.jpg

You're right, the photo looks fabulous... however, like a lot of things in life, sometimes the photo doesn't always equate to reality!

In fairness you'll know yourself if they look cheap or tatty or nice.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but just thought I'd follow up - I got bio sculpture nails done last week, and am SOO happy with them. They look much more like a good french manicure rather than gel nails - no extensions to my natural nail length, but the way the white tips are done is lengthening, the bio sculpture gel (?) is strengthening so even though my nails are growing they're not gonna break as usual, and a week on from getting them done they're still absolutely flawless.

As mentioned above, the gel is applied directly to my natural nails, no filing down or damaging of the natural nail, so when they need to be replaced (the girl who did them said 3 to 4 weeks depending on how 'gentle' i am with them) I can have them 'melted' off with acetone and my nails should be perfectly healthy underneath. But frankly I like them so much, I think this may be the way of the future for me!

The girl who did mine works out of her apartment in Rathmines and charged 35 euros, rather than the 60 they charge in Urbana, and she was super gentle and professional and efficient - can't recommend her highly enough. Dunno if I can post her details here? If anyone's interested, drop me a PM and I'll give you her name and number.

Bio S nails FTW :)

Advertisement