Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squad numbers gone mad

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

2---4---5---3
    7---6---8---11
    ----9---10----

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Seaneh wrote: »
    4 = centre mid.

6 = centre back.

Always.

Agreed. Certainly in Man Uniteds case it is. Pallister, Brown, Stam, Blanc and Ferdinand all wore 6, while Hargreaves and Veron were no.4 while playing for us too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Please tell me that doesn't happen???

Zamorano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Dont see a problem here to be honest, my number for next season.........

Complex%20equation.png

luminosity6.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Des wrote: »
    It's weird though, in a "normal" 1-11 4-4-2, the positions of each number are fairly retro too

Seaneh wrote: »
    4 = centre mid.

6 = centre back.

Always.

Actually, yer both right. The original 1-11 was use for the old 2-3-5 formation.

6----
    7--8
    9----10---11

Hence fullbacks having 2 and 3, and centre halves being one of 4-5-6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Actually, yer both right. The original 1-11 was use for the old 2-3-5 formation.

6----
    7--8
    9----10---11

Hence fullbacks having 2 and 3, and centre halves being one of 4-5-6.

This makes sense to me, I always give the midfielder I expect to be more "defensively minded" the number 6 jersey.

Centre Half is a bad term for the central defenders in a 4-4-2.

In reality, a holding midfielder is a centre half back.

This makes sense to me, I always give the midfielder I expect to be more "defensively minded" the number 6 jersey.

Cetre half back?.........get out of here with that 'gah' talk. :P

daithijjj wrote: »
    Cetre half back?.........get out of here with that 'gah' talk. :P

heh, I can't believe I did that.

But, it is what it is.

What else could "Centre Half" possibly mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I disagree. Until recently it still made sense in terms of it's descriptive nature. The Centre half would be the one to attack the ball (particularly if it was in the air) and the fullback would be the one to tuck in behind and sweep up if necessary.

That was of course when fullbacks were still defenders and not the modern wing back/fullback hybrid. Although you still see it happen from time to time, just not as often as fullbacks tend to be much higher up the pitch these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Romario

romario_g6.jpg

heh, I can't believe I did that.

But, it is what it is.

What else could "Centre Half" possibly mean?

Ah no bother, i cant believe the swear filter let that one through though. :pac:

You are probably right of course. I think over the last 30 years the names of positions of players has just been mutated into a more current version. In all those vids i used to watch from the 70's there was a few wierd positions, remember a commentator calling steve heighway a 'wing half' for example :confused:

Dont think players were penned into any specific position back then, the commentators just described what they saw, nowadays your just penned into a slot. Id be struggling to describe where dirk kuyt plays to be honest, for a 'right winger' he spends alot of it out of position.

Dirk Kuyt is an Inside Right, imo.

In contrast to Antonio Valencia who is an Outside Right

Thierry Henry is an Inside Left mostly.

This is where the term Centre Forward comes from, makes no sense in a 4-4-2, because you can't be at the centre of 2

Wing Half is a good description of most modern day attacking full backs ( Ashley Cole, Patrice Evra, Dani Alves)

Look at this.

6----
    7--8
    9----10---11

Football became much more defensive at a time, with players pushed backwards on the pitch.

Number 9 remains the "centre forward" though.

Dirk Kuyt, in my opinion, plays in the same position as the 8 in that formation, but pushed back a bit Right Half Forward on the inside, he just has nobody outside him, or realistically, he has the full back outside him on the overlap (Glenn Johnson actually fits perfectly into that scheme :))

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Dirk Kuyt is an Inside Right, imo.

In contrast to Antonio Valencia who is an Outside Right

Thierry Henry is an Inside Left mostly.

This is where the term Centre Forward comes from, makes no sense in a 4-4-2, because you can't be at the centre of 2

Wing Half is a good description of most modern day attacking full backs ( Ashley Cole, Patrice Evra, Dani Alves)

Look at this.

6----
    7--8
    9----10---11

Football became much more defensive at a time, with players pushed backwards on the pitch.

Number 9 remains the "centre forward" though.

Dirk Kuyt, in my opinion, plays in the same position as the 8 in that formation, but pushed back a bit Right Half Forward on the inside, he just has nobody outside him, or realistically, he has the full back outside him on the overlap (Glenn Johnson actually fits perfectly into that scheme :))

I don't think it was really all that more defensive when players' starting positions started moving nearer their own goal.

532 can be a very attacking formation and that's the inverse of the WM.

TBH I think the players were just asked to be fitter and to do additional work when the old formation was ditched.

Also, afaik, the style of football changed at that time as well. When the Hungarians brought passing and moving it was seen as revolutionary and the WM system couldn't cope with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

daithijjj wrote: »
    Dont see a problem here to be honest, my number for next season.........

Complex%20equation.png

luminosity6.gif

Actually thinking about that, I wonder has anyone ever been 0??

Sorry Xavi6 if that's in the article too!!

Aye, that summation sits well with me. One thing though, the number 7 slot doesnt, all i have in my head is bryan robson, kevin keegan and kenny dalglish :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Zamorano18.jpg

Yeah. Zamorano was the first to do from what I can remember....

I don't find it that annoying if the + isn't that obvious...

3 digits however is ridiculous. The only reason it should be allowed is for special occassions, such as a player reaching 500 games (i think that's what the romario one was for)...

Traditionally, regarding the number 4 and 6 discussion, I would always say that 4 was a centre back, 6 was a defensive central midfielder...
    Of course, the numbers are interchangeable as we have seen on many occassions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Fabregas Sidwell Bowyer Hargreaves and Aquilani all wear 4. However there's also quite a few defenders who wear 4, but not all necessarily centre backs.

Potentially stupid question, but with that Zamorano example, i assume he was technically number 18 yeh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Ha, love it.

The retro numbers are the best. I love seeing a RM wear 7, or the LM wearing 11. Also, a strike partnership with 9 and 10 is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

s_carnage wrote: »
    Actually thinking about that, I wonder has anyone ever been 0??

Sorry Xavi6 if that's in the article too!!

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Yes there has been and yes it is.

who wrote the article?

• Advertisement

who wrote the article?

You mean you still haven't read it?

:D Nope.

It did spawn a nice discussion here though.

I love the aul "football theory" discussions in here, what little we have of them, makes a nice change from the bitching in the team threads I find.

There was a good one a while back about formations.

I wrote it

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I wrote it

Ah right. Well done. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

The australia-indonesia match during the week saw Tommy Oar a young left winger making his debut wearing number 121 dont have a link as I am on my mobile but will try upload one during the week. Edit: sorry just saw 1st post in trend when i clicked it it brought me straight to page 3 i thought that was the start my apologies was strange looking at him with three number though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Why is it ridiculous xavi. They are just shirt numbers. Leicester in the rugby used to have letters on theirs. Must have been a quiet day on here:rolleyes:

Oh Hi, you're back.

Have you read the whole thread I wonder, the conversation got very interesting.

Not a slow day, just a normal day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

3 digits! They really are takin the pee. I don't think squad numbers should go above 35ish tbh....I remember a report on MOTD waaaaaay back in the 90s on the first "40" squad number, big news it was back then...I think it was a Swindon Town 3rd choice goalkeeper

I'll get my anorak :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why is it ridiculous xavi. They are just shirt numbers. Leicester in the rugby used to have letters on theirs. Must have been a quiet day on here:rolleyes:

W.T.F?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Back not with a bang, but with a whimper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

After the word "Rugby", my head exploded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

After the word "Rugby", my head exploded

You ok?

Must've been quiet all over the site cause this made Thread of the Day :cool:

Advertisement