Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions on pricing a car

• 05-03-2010 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I'm trying to sell my Opel Astra '01, 1.6 Automatic with 49K miles on board. Could any of you suggest what would be an appropriate asking price for this car? It has been a week I placed this ad and not much response yet, so I thought may be I should ask some experts on boards.ie if I'm going wrong with the asking price.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=191865&cat=2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

How much are you prepared to take?

Very limited market, although it looks a nice car. But 3.5k for an auto 9 year old astra is quite a lot. Maybe drop it below the 3k mark and be tougher on the negotiations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mikebites

I bought it from Dublin for around 4000 in October. But I need to sell it soon as I'm leaving the country, so probably I'll take your suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

1800 quid IMO.

That sort of car will always sell for a good price if you wait long enough but for a quick sale it will have to be very cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm thinking under 2k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have to say, the car looks well in those pics, i have to agree with RoverJames, it'd sell if you had time to wait. I'd be thinking of asking for 2300 but accept 2000 if an offer was on the table.

Please keep in mind that the original price when I posted the thread was €3500. After the first reply I reduced it to €2950. I understand it may have confused some of you and some may have thought that I did not get any response for €2950. I can report on that may be a week later.

But thanks a lot to all of you for your suggestions. Please keep them coming. As some of you suggessted, the car is really a nice one and has good features. I bought it to keep it for next 3 years but selling it as I decided to relocate from Ireland.

I suggest you put it on donedeal.ie with automatic in the add title, two friends of mine both learned to drive fairly late (one was 40 odd the other was late 30s), they both decided on autos as its far easier to drive, both of them had to search hard for their Astra auto. If you aren't in a hurry it will sell for not far off the €2500 mark I reckon, it's just a waiting game. The issue is the market for a small (ish) auto is quite small.

Lots in its favour though, low miles, fresh NCT, new tyres etc. The Asta does have a good name amongst non trade folk too so it will sell, may take a month or so though, patience is a virtue and all that :)

Thanks for the donedeal.ie suggestion. I'll post there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RoverJames wrote: »
    I suggest you put it on donedeal.ie with automatic in the add title, two friends of mine both learned to drive fairly late (one was 40 odd the other was late 30s), they both decided on autos as its far easier to drive, both of them had to search hard for their Astra auto. If you aren't in a hurry it will sell for not far off the €2500 mark I reckon, it's just a waiting game. The issue is the market for a small (ish) auto is quite small.

Lots in its favour though, low miles, fresh NCT, new tyres etc. The Asta does have a good name amongst non trade folk too so it will sell, may take a month or so though, patience is a virtue and all that :)

+1

There definitely is a market for automatic small family cars. And they are worth significantly more than the equivalent manual models. This market is small though and OP does not have much time. Smart suggestion to put "automatic" in the ad title. I too would advertise as €2495 and accept whatever I could get :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement