Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Vodafone still forcibly disconnect?

• 05-03-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭

I currently have 24MB BB from BT and will be moved over to Vodafone shortly.

Vodafone tell me as far as they know their service is always on and they do not disconnect user once every 24 hours like BT do.

Can anyone who has been migrated confirm this please.

TIA.

Svetti..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

Vodafone still operate their dhcp leases every 24 hours so you will get disconnected once a day. Just reboot ur router late at night so that it will disconnect when ur not using it in future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Not happy to hear that. I think its ridiculous to ever get get kicked off what is supposed to be a always on service in the first place.

DHCP is well capable to renewing an IPA within the lease time without losing the connection. It looks to me that BT cut the connection on their end once every 24 hours and then use DHCP as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

i would imagine this was done to make business packages with static ip addresses more attractive.

You could be right. I have been with many BB providers over the years at different addresses and for different prices and was amazed to discover that BT did this. They dont tell you when signing up either.

My problem is the length of time it takes the router to re-connect anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭P1erce

Well the router shouldn't take that long.

It happened to me on BT as well, but it would be back up in 30 seconds. Which is a very long time when you use streaming music, irc so on and so forth.

Pierce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

If you were to buy a different router could you get around this issue of disconnecting?

Are BT/Vodafone the only isp to do this? Does eircom do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭P1erce

branners69 wrote: »
    If you were to buy a different router could you get around this issue of disconnecting?

How would a modem over-ride the isp?
    Are BT/Vodafone the only isp to do this? Does eircom do it?

No and yes.

Most if not all ISP's do this (even NTL though I have heard their DHCP can last for months as long as you don't turn the modem off).

I think even if you were to have a static they would reset it anyways (I know eircom drops the connection at work here and its static as do Digiweb which is also a static ip at Home).

One of the reasons to do this? Disrupt download/upload overnight is one possible reason.

Pierce

I had Eircom BB for 3 years before moving to BT and was never disconnected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The BT Voyager modem is the problem, or at least "part" of the problem that can be cured entirely by replacing it with another model.

That's what I've done, I just turned the BT Voyager modem into a pure modem while I plugged in a router with an "ethernet out" internet port into the modem which then had the username/password settings for internet access and renewed the IP address automatically every 24 hours, unlike what the Voyager had done. The wireless router I used was a WRT54G, v.7 so no dd-wrt was possible.

The BT Voyager modem works with ordinary DSL, and the BT "LLU2" service works fine with other PPPoE modems, but not those two put together.

Advertisement