Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra, Barnhill Stores, Dalkey extension!

Options
  • 05-03-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

It was brought to my attention about two days ago that there has been uproar over the new extension to Marie's Centra at Barnhill Stores in Dalkey. Here is the newspaper article discussing the matter in question:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0302/1224265432954.html

I want to express how ridiculous the nature of these complaints are. First of all, the extension leads to a much higher level of customers which in turn creates additional employment. Secondly, the extension is only on the ground floor of the building. With the way in which the matter is being handled, you'd swear they were building some massive shopping complex or sky scraper. As well as this, I am glad to see some sort of change to the premises. In it's former glory, it was becoming quite claustrophobic. Like the objections to Starbucks, it just goes to show how people have to much time on their hands. Thirdly, I think Dalkey needs some sort of change or rejuvenation what ever it may be. It's getting to the stage where business in Dalkey is being dictated by locals which in turn impairs a lot of potential revenue. It's all part of the "local trade for local businesses" perception. This perception or philosophy is stupid and non-sensicle. As a person from Dalkey myself, it does my head in when my fellow Dalkey-ites treat or perceive local establishments as though they own the place. Sometimes, I think that people in Dalkey or indeed anywhere in Ireland become too sentimental. On a much larger scale, it is because of this sentimentality that the construction of the M50 got held up at Carrickmines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd make an issue with this only because the didn't bother with planning permission.

Fair play for extending the shop, which probably needed it but it should have been done legally with permission.

Mr Patton doesn't have a stake in it does he ;)
    "Lets do it even without permission, what are they going to do about it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Whats ridiculous about the complaint? They put up an extension without planning permission and now may be forced to close because of it. If they'd gotten the permission in the beginning there wouldn't have been as issue. Or did they go ahead with it because they knew the permission wouldn't be granted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The place amazes me, everytime I go in there it has gotten bigger!

Should have got planning permission thoguh.

Or did they go ahead with it because they knew the permission wouldn't be granted?

I suspect this. The residents probably would have objected to the permission for whatever reason they have

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Seems a little cheeky to me and based on photographs it does seem to be quite an extensive extension. While i do sympathize with any business trying to expand and develop business, surely the proprietors must have realized they were taking the piss a little. Originally from Cabinteely, i now live in Laois and you would not believe the extent people have to go to in order to get planning, A neighbor had to out a 20ft flag pole up on his site for six months and if no one objected to the flag permission would be granted. I kid you not! Admittedly is in a environmental park but this is one condition to far.

Bottom line however, permission was sought and granted, based on the photographs of this supermarket, it would have seemed more sensible to have obtained permission however perhaps they did and were refused? which make this an even more serious matter.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Paulgaskell

What is wrong with people do they not like to see businesses prosper in these times of resession, I have seen the building and to be quite honest it is an improvment to what was there for years, the shop was tiny you could never get everything you wanted as there was no space to keep stock,
    Look at the eyesores around the city and suburbs which have got planning permission and some will never create jobs and have huge bills to the taxpayer for the upkeep ( the spike to name but one !!!) at least this business will create jobs and save people trying to shop in the village creating traffic chaos,
    Probably would have been a good idea to get planning permission first but hindsight is a great thing,
    Some grumpy little man prob didnt get his endaway and taking it out on first thing that annoys him,
    Sad to say one voice could put so many people back on the dole queue,
    Get over it and build this country back up again,
    I am living close to the store and I can only see the benefits
    Good luck to Maries stores
    From a loyal customer

actually since it been brought back up, anyone know whats happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Probably would have been a good idea to get planning permission first but hindsight is a great thing,
    Some grumpy little man prob didnt get his endaway and taking it out on first thing that annoys him,
    Sad to say one voice could put so many people back on the dole queue,
    This is nonsense. It isn't 'one voice' that stopped the shop using this illegal development. It is a long, arduous process of planning enforcement involving the local authority and the courts. If they want to expand their shop, then let them go through the same legal processes as their competitors go through. They shouldn't be able to get an edge on their competitors through illegal action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Paulgaskell

Go through the proper process and you get screwed, friend applied for planning permission for a 3m by 6mshed in her back garden, well the amount of red tape between architects drawings and then has to pay a sum of €1650.00 to assist in the local area road network, if she had gone ahead and put the shed in without planning permission she would have saved a small fortune and a large amount of time,
    How many people in the country apply for permission to put a shed in their back garden, my guess is its very very low,
    As far as I am aware he will not have to close down buisness but just remove some of the roankabins,
    Have a look at the photo that was in the independant and decide if you would prefer the new structures or two big ugly sheds that were there previously
    It was only one person that objected to this and dragged a few more into it, possibly one of the large supermarkets in Dalkey wont mention names but you will find it under the tree haha
    Fair play for him to stand up and fight for his buisiness !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I guess that one man's 'get screwed' is another man's due process. If she had gone ahead with her shed and it exceeded the permitted threshold, she would most likely have found herself on the wrong end of a council enforcement action, just like Centra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Its about time that that shop was revamped. I dont agree however with the way they went about it...rules are rules.

Does anyone remember the funky smell of the old shop????

twas stinkin twas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

actually since it been brought back up, anyone know whats happened to it?

I was talking to someone who works there and he told me that they were temporarily scaling back the size of the store for 4 months. Afterwards, they will be reverting back to the larger size. It doesn't make that much sense. I know that the rules of planning application hadn't been followed which in hindsight was wrong. Nevertheless, it did generate more employment. The one problem that exists with the extension is the parking situation. What they should have done is bought one of the neighboring premises in the planning process(preferably the one to the right) and demolished it to make way for extra parking spaces. This would probably have made more sense given that the actual store space was being effectively tripled in it's size. Furthermore, if there was some slack remaining, it could be utilized as a storage and/or communal toilet facility.

While the village of Dalkey itself has been designated as an Architectural Conservation Area, it shouldn't prevent prosperity as Dalkey is becoming a bit of a ghost town with two businesses closed and one facing possible closure. With the way in which travel arrangements and orbital shopping centers being developed, it is dragging business out of Dalkey. In general, I think the area is in desperate need of renewal. If people keep on dictating or restricting development in the area, its future could be placed in jeopardy. It needs to be urbanized somehow to promote prosperity. While the infrastructure isn't suitable for it at the moment, I have discovered a way in which the infrastructure could be improved with very little demolition of the areas structures. Bottom line, the extension of Centra although unauthorized, is a step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Are these the same crowd that own the one in Blackrock which closed down it looks like...

themont85 wrote: »
    Are these the same crowd that own the one in Blackrock which closed down it looks like...

Yep.

Things are not good there but carnt say to much. Read the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Yep.

Things are not good there but carnt say to much. Read the link.

I thought it was strange that it closed down, seemed to do good business. I went by in the car this morning and it looks like a Londis is taking its place, very dodgy. The article explains it a bit cheers.

themont85 wrote: »
    I thought it was strange that it closed down, seemed to do good business. I went by in the car this morning and it looks like a Londis is taking its place, very dodgy. The article explains it a bit cheers.

The store in newtownpark ave is now under the control of the landlord. I believe he is indeed thinking of opening a londis store.

I am not sure how the rest of the shops are doing. But I dont believe they are doing to well.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 grumpy old woman

It's open again. I've just driven past - the car park is full, the shop is open and a bakery delivery van has just arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Sorry, just wanted to ask, so is there no reasonably priced large supermarket in Dalkey then? I'm not counting Centras, Londis, Spars et al. Where do Dalkey people do their weekly large grocery shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dunes Cornelscourt, superquinn blackrock, Tesco ballyrack or bloomfields

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for that info! Very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ted1 wrote: »
    Dunes Cornelscourt, superquinn blackrock, Tesco ballyrack or bloomfields

Eurospar (Formally 5 Star) in Dalkey is quite competitive on basics.

Sorry, just wanted to ask, so is there no reasonably priced large supermarket in Dalkey then? I'm not counting Centras, Londis, Spars et al. Where do Dalkey people do their weekly large grocery shop?
    Eurospar in Dalkey is quite well stocked and has good special offers.

My apologies for taking this thread off topic slightly. I was at the Book festival on Saturday, and was just curious about the fact that there didn't seem to be a large low price supermarket around. I was in the Eurospar a few times alright, but couldn't see myself doing a large grocery shop there. From what you are all saying, the other major shop is the Centra on Barnhill.

Thanks for all your help.

Tesco in Dun Laoghaire would be the nearest big big supermarket but when I lived in Dalkey SupervaluEurospar met 99% of my needs tbh

Lidl in deansgrange it pottery road isn't to far. I reckon only single people would shop in eurospar. Deffo not for family shopping.

Lidl in deansgrange it pottery road isn't to far. I reckon only single people would shop in eurospar. Deffo not for family shopping. Central would not be any better.

Dalkey and Lidl mentioned in the same sentence, how times have changed!

My apologies for taking this thread off topic slightly. I was at the Book festival on Saturday, and was just curious about the fact that there didn't seem to be a large low price supermarket around. I was in the Eurospar a few times alright, but couldn't see myself doing a large grocery shop there. From what you are all saying, the other major shop is the Centra on Barnhill.

If Eurospar don't sell it, I'd be surprised if Centra do.

I tend to do a weekly shop for the family in Tesco Bloomfields (it is a really nice shop now they have finished it) and use eurospar for emergencies and whims.

• Advertisement

Centra in Barnhill is essentially a convenience store, and prices are therefore not really comparable with Dunnes or Tesco. I would do my "big shop" in Tesco Bloomfields or Eurospar Dalkey (or its larger branch at the Graduate Shopping Centre on Rochestown Avenue). The Centra store is in receivership.

Advertisement