Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra, Barnhill Stores, Dalkey extension!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Dalkey and Lidl mentioned in the same sentence, how times have changed!

Thanks again for that info. Lidl? I'd be very interested in that Lidl in Ballybrack. I'd need to do a large family shop, so it looks like Tescos at Bloomfields would suit me.

Maybe it wouldn't do any harm for Dalkey to have a Lidl. I find their quality quite good - especially cheeses, cold meats and chocolate (you just have to have the chocolate!) Their wines are pretty good too - Chablis, Sancerre.

Anyhow, back to topic, the Centra on Barnhill. From the sounds of it it looks like it needs the refurbishment. Usually refurbished stores bring in more business and employment to the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

No chance of a Lidl in Dalkey, or a tesco for that matter.

Starbucks was effectively boycotted because it was a chain store and only lasted six months. Dalkey people are very fussy about their town.

The Lidl is actually in Pottery road in Cabinteely, or there is one in Deansgrange at the crossroads.

I am amazed by this behaviour. What is wrong with a Lidl, Tescos or Starbucks? I admit, I'm not always a fan of big chains like Starbucks, but would prefer to see a new business thriving in the current climate. Surely it would be better to have a new business like Starbucks or a refurbished Centra, rather than nothing at all?

I'm getting bad vibes about Dalkey now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I am amazed by this behaviour. What is wrong with a Lidl, Tescos or Starbucks? I admit, I'm not always a fan of big chains like Starbucks, but would prefer to see a new business thriving in the current climate. Surely it would be better to have a new business like Starbucks or a refurbished Centra, rather than nothing at all?

I'm getting bad vibes about Dalkey now.....

Dalkey is great, but it is a bit insular.

There are several very good coffee shops in Dalkey, Starbucks would have put at least one of them out of business. One of the lovely things about Dalkey is the uniqueness of the shops. They are all long established privately owned businesses (with the exception of the estate agent and bookies).

The same applies to Lidl, it would kill existing Dalkey businesses. Plus there is nowhere in the immediate area that could accomodate a large shop like Lidl.

Ah yes, I totally understand that Lidl wouldn't work, there wouldn't be a big enough car park.

That is the attraction about Dalkey, the fact that there are these unique little coffee shops & businesses etc.

Though I'm just a bit concerned that these small unique businesses might be a bit vulnerable. I understand that Dalkey residents want to have a say in planning of their environment. However, sometimes you have to look at what would be good for stimulating the local economy. The busineses may be unique and not owned by a chain. But they also need to be the types of businesses that people want.

Things like access to the shops are important too - car parking, ease of access etc.

Anyhow, I was very impressed with all the business spirit in the village at the weekend, for the book festival. It's a good idea to promote spending in the village (which I did!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I much prefer the Eurospar/Supervalu/Superquinn range.. For a slightly higher premium on some items (Tesco is far from cheap!), they offer a much better range of quality Irish produced food.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

The grocery shopping is very important to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Hmmmm, was supposed to be closed on Sunday for stocktaking and reopen today but it hasn't reopened........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Speaking of Dalkey, when did the Super Valu there become a Spar?
    Worked there many moons ago when I was in college and was surprised when I was in Dalkey a couple of years ago to see it had changed franchises.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

About 10 years ago, its currently getting a big make over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

ted1 wrote: »

Thanks, I must pop in at some point and see if any of the staff from the Super Valu days are still there.
    Doubtful though, it's 14 years since I worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

ted1 wrote: »

Eurospar is currently being doubled in size. A huge amount of excavation is being carried out to the rear to enable the store to maintain a uniform width most of the way back. At the very back, a customer toilet will be installed along with a new ramp at the very left of the store. A lot of other significant alterations are being made. I've seen the blue prints for it at www.dlrcoco.ie. In my opinion, it is badly needed and will be very good for Dalkey in the long run. Either way, it is a major refurbishment. From what I was told by one of the staff, the refurbishment is due for completion in October. It should be interesting come Christmas! :D It could very well be a tactical response to the extension made to Centra.

Anyway, back on topic. Centra is being closed for stock taking and also until the process of receivership has been completed. Hereafter, a new manager will take over. However, you can be rest assured that it will be open again very shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 grumpy old woman

Centra in Barnhill Road reopened today under new ownership. I've just been there. Not fully stocked yet.

I saw it myself as well today. The layout is more or less identical. However, it has been smartened up quite a lot given that it has only been closed for two weeks. The back is looking better too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Yep.

Things are not good there but carnt say to much. Read the link.

That links to the business post subscription page.
    Can you post the text from the article please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

I saw it myself as well today. The layout is more or less identical. However, it has been smartened up quite a lot given that it has only been closed for two weeks. The back is looking better too.:D

Who are the new owners?
    Good luck to them, I hope its a big success, have to congratulate anyone that opens or reopens a business, especially now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

M three wrote: »
    That links to the business post subscription page.
    Can you post the text from the article please?

Cannot find it at the moment but its way out of date anyway.

To remind you, this is from different owners, a couple of years ago and has NO relevance to the current store.

The article gave the general gist of the whole group being in trouble. How Musgrave took a charge on some of the property and the shops own accountants saying they found it hard to see the long term viability of the stores.

Remember, this is nothing to do with the current, new store.

M three wrote: »
    Who are the new owners?

Don't know. Sorry!

I thought I would resurrect this old thread seeing as a new extension is under construction. While I largely welcome this move given the better choice of goods that will likely result from it, I am still a tiny bit concerned about how it will operate from a parking perspective. At the moment, the car park is too small to necessitate it's current purpose with traffic regularly spilling out onto the mini-roundabout adjacent to it's entrance. Having said that, these situations often clear up within a minute or so. Will the larger size exacerbate this issue?

Nevertheless, I do look forward to having a new polished mega convenience store down the road!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Many an Iceberger I bought there back in the day when James was a lad! It was one of three sister stores, now name the other two..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Sorry, which shop are you on about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Centra by the round about, the one that illegally added several portacabins.

I thought I might bump this thread as work is now underway to amalgamate the florist shop and Centra retail units.
    Also, it is to be renamed back to Barnhill Supply Stores. Along with that, there will be a second floor too (erm....two ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Cronin's Centra in Newtownpark Avenue in Blackrock has now only recently applied via PP for a 2 storey extension with 472 Sq M of additional retail space for it's shop floor with new proposed outdoor car & jet wash facilities being built along with new office facilities & some other things.

Their PP notice is now displayed on 2 sides of their Garage forecourt.

They are also looking to recruit some new Deli assistants for their shop. It's job notice is up on their Facebook page.

We are currently looking to recruit and train Deli Assistants to join our team at Texaco Newpark Station.

The successful candidates will be enthusiastic and self-motivated to provide an excellent level of service with attention to detail and open to experience opportunities in all areas of the store.

Experience in food preparation and Customer Service in a Café / Restaurant / Deli operation is essential while the ability to cook from scratch along with an interest in current food trends is preferable.

The Deli Assistant will have the following responsibilities:

Key Responsibilities (but not exhaustive):

Provide a fast, friendly and efficient level of customer service.
    Prepare and assist with food preparation when required.
    Set up / replenish counters and merchandising the Deli.
    Ensure the regular and systematic cleaning and maintenance of the equipment in all areas of the Deli both front of house and in the kitchen.
    To monitor and deliver the HACCP programme for the Deli to ensure effective standards in line with hygiene and quality regulations.
    Work as part of the team to provide the highest standard of food preparation quality, presentation and service.
    To adhere to specifications, standards and procedures while at work.

Requirements:

At least 6 months experience in a similar environment.
    An advanced level of English and a professional and polite manner is essential.
    Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
    Organised, excellent attention to detail with the ability to multi-task.
    Hard-working and flexible, with the ability to work both as part of a team and on own initiative.
    This role is transferrable to different departments within the store, based on business requirements.

If you interested please apply now at Roopesh@newpark.ie

Advertisement