Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of painting 1 room

• 05-03-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi

I had a look back a few pages and couldn't find any similar threads.

I am wanting to hire someone to paint 1 room in an apartment. How much do you think this might cost?
    Its not exact, but i reckon length by width is about 12 foot x 8 foot. Height would be about 7 foot. I don't need skirtings done and there is nothing on the walls just a railing for a set of curtains. There is 2 full sized walls to be done then the parts around 2 doors. I won't be getting the colour changed so its only 1 coat I want done.

Just so you all know it's not because of laziness I want someone else to do it!!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    I would guess @100 euro if you have the paint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

What colour is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

The colour will just be a plain creamy type colour. Would hardly cost more than 30 for that tin?

Thanks Carpenter, that would be for a pretty decent painter yeah? I couldn't see the job taking more than 2 - 3 hours with a proper decorator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

alfaz wrote: »
    The colour will just be a plain creamy type colour. Would hardly cost more than 30 for that tin?

Thanks Carpenter, that would be for a pretty decent painter yeah? I couldn't see the job taking more than 2 - 3 hours with a proper decorator.

Cream or Magnolia is the usual colour and most widely used by builders/painters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I would only use a decent painter not a jack of all trades I thought you wanted a real price from a real painter sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Carpenter wrote: »
    I would only use a decent painter not a jack of all trades I thought you wanted a real price from a real painter sorry
    if i were you i would do it yourself, half day and its done, 5 letre good grade paint, masking tape for around windows and on top of skirting, a good brush, and roller, if you do not know much ask assistant in diy store,
    paint 30 euro
    brush 5-8 euro
    masking tape 3 euro
    roller and tray under 10 euro
    between 50 and 60 euro material costs, and a couple hours free time, you still have the brush for other jobs after also the roller and tray and whatever is left over of masking tape,
    if you get a painter guess you should add 100 to 150 euro

I would do it myself if it was a different situation, living in a rented apartment just after moving out. They're looking to charge me €315 for the 1 room to be repainted. That isn't going to happen!
    Thanks to you all for the help. I knew it wouldn't be more that €150 for it and a couple of hours work, they have all their own materials and their own maintence man who would do this.
    I'm going to fight them for even having to pay for the one room, bloody chancers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

what did you do to the walls? you should pay more because he cant rent the house because you messed up the room and it takes time to oranize a painter to fix it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Word of warning! I wouldn't use advice you get on here to fight anybody!

To do a proper paint job, you would need to clean down the walls, prepare where necessary, and apply 2 coats of paint. So between cost of materials, cost of labour (not as nixer - i.e. with PAYE, PRSI, etc.), having to wait and do 2 coats, etc., etc., E 315 is not actually an unreasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

DOCARCH wrote: »

To do a proper paint job, you would need to clean down the walls, prepare where necessary, and apply 2 coats of paint. So between cost of materials, cost of labour (not as nixer - i.e. with PAYE, PRSI, etc.), having to wait and do 2 coats, etc., etc., E 315 is not actually an unreasonable price.

It seems like alot to me but I'm not a painter.

Really your only way of getting a proper costing that you could use to argue what you perceive as a high charge by the landlord is to get a quote (on paper) from a painter who can see the job and assess from a prep/finish/waiting perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Really your only way of getting a proper costing that you could use to argue what you perceive as a high charge by the landlord is to get a quote (on paper) from a painter who can see the job and assess from a prep/finish/waiting perspective.

Indeed - sensible advice.

There is no point even trying to argue on the basis that some guy on Boards said...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

what did you do to the walls? you should pay more because he cant rent the house because you messed up the room and it takes time to oranize a painter to fix it.
    i know that if the walls are discoloured by normal wear and tear, you would have grounds to say no, if you put up posters where the tape marked the wall, or wrote on the wall, or put deep scratches or gouges on wall, then you can be caught for repainting, were you long renting this place, did they take a big deposit

DOCARCH wrote: »

You're absolutly right, i got a rough quote from a friend of my dads and he gave 180, supplying my own paint, he'd have the rest himself.
    I came here to check with you all if that would be a reasonable price, which i reckon it might be.

goat2 wrote: »
    i know that if the walls are discoloured by normal wear and tear, you would have grounds to say no, if you put up posters where the tape marked the wall, or wrote on the wall, or put deep scratches or gouges on wall, then you can be caught for repainting, were you long renting this place, did they take a big deposit

Yea I was in there for 2 years, and according to them the place hadn't been painted for the 6 months before that either. There is no scratches or marks on the wall of significance, 2 and a half years of constant use theres bound to be something. Never had posters up, not even pictures hanging up.

They do have a deposit, myself and the g/f have been talking and we're going to leave it, take the remainder of the stuff out of the apartment and leave the keys in the drop safe and walk away. Just have to get the final reading for the esb off them!

Thanks again everyone

Advertisement