Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin City Center - what the heck do I photograph?

• 05-03-2010 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Tomorrow will be my first absolutely serious wander around inner Dublin with a camera and tripod in hand. Who is up for some walkabout, with maybe a crash course in infrared photography/processing thrown in for good measure? :D I want to shoot Ringsend power station (from North Bull Island, right?) if the weather holds up, but I am pretty flexible beyond that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Guniness store house, the canals and Samuel Beckett Bridge if your doing the tourist thing.
    (I've got all three ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Fenster wrote: »
    Who is up for some walkabout, with maybe a crash course in infrared photography/processing thrown in for good measure? :D

me :p can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Swans!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

The question more likely is "What not to photograph in Dublin"... There are just so many options...

You can do the touristy thing - like Longshanks said.

There's the nature approach - Phoenix Park, St Stephens Green, Grand Canal

You can do people photography - the poor and the rich are equally represented in town!

Guiness storehouse is defo a recommendation, many other building, statues and sights around the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Fenster you're the 3rd Irish person in 7 days on this forum to spell Centre the American way...why why??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

if you can, then try go to the top of Killiney Hill. It's an amazing view from the top and would make a fantastic infra-red composition

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

You can't come to Dublin without doing Darndale (Wildlife) Sheriff Street (Motor sport) Ballyfermot/Clondalkin (more wildlife). ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Ha Ha Pullandbang :D

Don't forget the "Pajama Grannies" while you're at it.

The forgotten jewel of the City Centre (are you watching AR:D), the Blessington Basin, should be great for IR !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

You can't come to Dublin without doing Darndale (Wildlife) Sheriff Street (Motor sport) Ballyfermot/Clondalkin (more wildlife). ;)
    Ballymun/Finglas : Drug education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Fenster you're the 3rd Irish person in 7 days on this forum to spell Centre the American way...why why??

I'm just back from three years living in America. I am married to an American. I have two American children. I have many many American friends. I own an American laptop with an American keyboard, and I made this post with an American version of a browser that has an American spelling checker installed.

I mean, fcuk. Be thankful that I'm not describing Dublin as quaint. ;p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I want to shoot Ringsend power station (from North Bull Island, right?) if the weather holds up, but I am pretty flexible beyond that.

Sandymount is an option for this also although almost all of my shots are from north Bull Island. Forecast is nice - I am not sure whether I will go to Cork this evening or not. I'll let you know if I'm around.

+1 on the killiney hill aspect.

Fenster thats where the shot i sent you was taken, easily be able to get out there tomorrow if you want.

alexlyons wrote: »
    +1 on the killiney hill aspect.

Fenster thats where the shot i sent you was taken, easily be able to get out there tomorrow if you want.

Ahh. After it was mentioned I figured that was where your shot came from. I'm not going to slight the photo (which was fine), but the view didn't impress me much at all. :(

Ahh. After it was mentioned I figured that was where your shot came from. I'm not going to slight the photo (which was fine), but the view didn't impress me much at all. :(

ah be honest, i'm sure the shot wasn't fine at all ;) no worries, i'm sure we'll find places

If you're in the City why not try something different than Landscape for IR. How about the IFSC, Portraits on O'Connell Bridge, Dublin Castle and the Park behind it, Henrietta St etc etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I don't know how appropriate it would be for long-exposure shots but the Colours boat race is on tomorrow on the Liffey in the middle of town.

I thought the IFSC was an automatic gorilla nut punch from hired security?

I thought the IFSC was an automatic gorilla nut punch from hired security?

Not really. The only private area is between Amiens St. and Commons St. and they've taken a more relaxed attitude lately. Anyway I was thinking more of the vista than up close and personal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

or you could argue, centre is the french way

Covey wrote: »
    Not really. The only private area is between Amiens St. and Commons St. and they've taken a more relaxed attitude lately. Anyway I was thinking more of the vista than up close and personal.

I have the area up on Google Maps right now. Which streets are public? Is Custom House Quay (by the Liffey) public?

• Advertisement

or you could argue, centre is the french way

:D

I have the area up on Google Maps right now. Which streets are public? Is Custom House Quay (by the Liffey) public?

Yes it is.

Excellent. So I have the IFSC from Custom House Quay and Ringsend from North Bull Island. I'll wing the rest of it as I go, but I have half a notion for some long-exposure crowd shots around Grafton or O'Connell Street if I can get a decent perch.

Well hell. I have a job interview in Dublin 2 on Monday evening so I guess it will be a three day weekend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

now that ye have decided, can I disagree- I'd shoot the power station from Sandymount- Booterstown, cos then the light will be coming from behind you round to your left, whereas from Bull Island it will be in front of you- flare/burnt out sky and silouettes all threaten.Infrared - will you process it yourself ?The Beckett and Joyce bridges should be good for infra red, and the spire or Wellington Monument in the Park could be stunning- dramatic shapes if you get the clouds....Enjoy...

Good point. Distance is my concern, however; I only have an 85mm, max.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

Even on a full frame (I presume 35mm B&W) that should be enough- moreso down at sandymount... if the tide is out there should be good leading lines or reflections. I've taken lots on the beach, I used to live nearby.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Buckz wrote: »
    Even on a full frame (I presume 35mm B&W) that should be enough.
    I've never heard of a 35mm B&W, is it a Canon or Nikon model.

Good point. Distance is my concern, however; I only have an 85mm, max.

low tide is 9am tomorrow, 3 hours after is about as far as you could go, even then you'd be looking at a fair bit of water, probably to much in fact. high tide is at 15.40 so 3 hours after that is the earliest you could go at that end, which is dark.

i have an 18-105 nikon with IR filter if its any help

• Advertisement

If tides will be a problem I can put it off until Monday morning.

If tides will be a problem I can put it off until Monday morning.

To be honest, I'd reckon thy a bit of water would make it a bit more interesting. Especially having seen some of your other IR stuff, the wate can be good. Monday's low tide is about 20 past 11 and is only a neap. It'd still probably be to far out if you want any water infront if your doing the booterstown/sandymount side. Having looked at it, I reckon late morning/midday would be fairly ok and definitely better than Monday. Maybe have footware that could take a splash if possible but not vital at all. We can look more tomorrow... Tides an stuff is what I do, so I should know on demand etc.

Advertisement