Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nimbys lose court case against 'noisy' Luas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

As you correctly say, NIMBYS - but if it was your back yard the luas was passing you may feel very differently.

They should have lodged their complaint at planning stage but then maybe they did not fully appreciate the potential noise!

Probably as well case was not won as many would have followed in but a bit of understanding??

By the way, I live nowhere near a Luas track and only use the Red Line so either way wouldn't have affected me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd have said the same up until a few weeks ago when I stayed in a hotel on Harcourt Street in a room facing the road for one night. It's not the noise of the Luas per se along that section that's the problem but the ear shattering screeching of the wheels as it goes round what is quite a shallow bend in the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MY gf parents house back on to the DART at Killiney, whenever I'm down there I notice every train but they don't, like everything they'll get used to it.

And on the straight the luas is very quite compared to buses or trains, I agree with Alun about the bends though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, a constant background noise is generally no problem, you just get used to it after time (I spent most of my youth in a house about 80m from a busy 3-lane section of the M6 in England!). Also repetitive noise, as long as it's fairly low frequency, such as trains or trams on straight sections is generally no problem either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

thebiglad wrote: »
    Probably as well case was not won as many would have followed in but a bit of understanding??

Or maybe they were looking for compensation? I've been in houses right by the DART and you get used to it. The DART is a lot bigger and heavier than the luas and I suspect makes a lot more noise when it goes by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Great news for the City`s Public Transport users and of course the Smyth`s also have a alternative if it`s serenity they seek,with vast numbers of empty properties available in Leitrim,Roscommon,Sligo,Mayo......and so on and so forth.

The recession now makes it very affordable for those who seek to abandon the hurly burly of Urban living to actually accomplish it.

Me....well I like my peace and quiet but I`m, happy to live adjacent to the Red Line and find it`s noise well within tolerance levels,especially when put against the very real benefits of it`s service.

I`m left wondering what the Smyths Private Transport arrangements comprise of...... :confused:

It will be interesting to see if similar objections are put forward by those living on Ballyogan Road when the testing begins soon.......?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It does make quite a racket on that bend. Sometimes it seems to be noisier than other times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Indeed it does but where these people live the line is straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

It does make quite a racket on that bend. Sometimes it seems to be noisier than other times.

Cities by definition are noisy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Great news for the City`s Public Transport users and of course the Smyth`s also have a alternative if it`s serenity they seek,with vast numbers of empty properties available in Leitrim,Roscommon,Sligo,Mayo......and so on and so forth.

The recession now makes it very affordable for those who seek to abandon the hurly burly of Urban living to actually accomplish it.

Me....well I like my peace and quiet but I`m, happy to live adjacent to the Red Line and find it`s noise well within tolerance levels,especially when put against the very real benefits of it`s service.

I`m left wondering what the Smyths Private Transport arrangements comprise of...... :confused:

It will be interesting to see if similar objections are put forward by those living on Ballyogan Road when the testing begins soon.......?

I don't live to far from there & can't wait for the testing to start. it will mean a real public transport alternative will be available.

I lived 10m from the Maynooth line at Louisa Bridge. I could tell what time it was by counting the trains in the morning but would rather have that than not have the option of the train.

Costs should go against them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Power to the LUAS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

Delighted this case was lost.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0305/luas.html

Please select the following:

A: A pair of lunatic NIMBYs who actually beleive they can have the Luas Green Line shut down forever so they can enjoy a conversation in their backgarden...

or

B) A pair of Celtic Tiger Greed Tards who bought a trophy house for way more than it is now worth and are looking for the state to subsidise their get out of debt clause...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Please select the following:

A: A pair of lunatic NIMBYs who actually beleive they can have the Luas Green Line shut down forever so they can enjoy a conversation in their backgarden...

or

B) A pair of Celtic Tiger Greed Tards who bought a trophy house for way more than it is now worth and are looking for the state to subsidise their get out of debt clause...

I'll take B please Bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lunatic NIMBYs .... Celtic Tiger Greed Tards
    I think thats a bit harsh and would like a withdrawal.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dublin&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.976484,47.460937&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin+City,+Ireland&ll=53.329114,-6.257502&spn=0.001285,0.004946&t=h&z=18

There relevant property is on the middle of Cambridge Terrace. I stood on Northbrook Road at the end of the terrace as a Luas passed and its no louder than other traffic. Of course, if Luas wasn't there, there would be a lot more traffic. If your windows rattle as a Luas goes by, get the rattle fixed.

That said, I live 1.6km from the Green Line and 4km from any Irish Rail site and I can hear both Luas and locomotives on quiet nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Delighted this case was lost.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0305/luas.html

I don't fully understand this, on the teletext yesterday judge said something to the effect that, the RPA had not followed proper procedures or something and the couple were kinda right but had gone about things in the wrong fashion and I thought to myself, "its one of those "greater good of the greater number" kind of things.
    Or maybe I took it up completely wrong:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Presumably if they had built an underground system as many people think they should have noise issues like this would not arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

69 wrote: »
    Presumably if they had built an underground system as many people think they should have noise issues like this would not arise.

Sure you could have subsidence issues then like with the port tunnel. Whole different can of worms, that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

aphex™ wrote: »
    Sure you could have subsidence issues then like with the port tunnel. Whole different can of worms, that.

Big worms they would be too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I live approximately 50 yards from a copse of oak trees, fcukin crows wake me up at 4 a.m. on summer mornings. Unfortunately, God doesn't have any money.
    I remember a few years ago and after a very wet spell, a couple, who had moved from Killiney to play the country squire, tried to get a local farmer stopped from taking advantage of all available daylight to harvest his crops. This apparently interfered with their outdoor entertaining and was causing "unbearable strain". The farm was seven miles away!
    Where do these people get off? I hope the judge tags plenty of zeros on to the costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bmaxi wrote: »
    I live approximately 50 yards from a copse of oak trees, fcukin crows wake me up at 4 a.m. on summer mornings. Unfortunately, God doesn't have any money.
    A bit closer at 20m but one morning at a similar hour the crows and the magpies decided to have a fight over who controlled a particular tree. I think people would have welcomed some shotgun fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It gets quieter when it rains. Metal being forced across metal without lube always makes noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

Victor wrote: »
    would like a withdrawal.

Not required. My woman is on the pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

I stayed the night in a friends house who lived beside the Luas line a few weeks ago. My God the noise from those things.
    All that couple asked for was a barrier to control the noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

All that couple asked for was a barrier to control the noise.

Well.....yes and no....;)

The Smyth`s did indeed seek the provision of some form of "Barrier",however they also sought a restraining injunction against Veolia & the RPA operating Luas services "in a manner that causes noise nuisance",the final part of the triumverate of reliefs sought was the ubiquitious "damages".

Happily the Judge whilst sympathetic to the plaintiff`s was not minded to find in their favour on the liability issue.

It should be also noted that the entire Luas planning and construction phase was one of the longest gestation periods ever witnessed in Ireland.

The entire process weent through a veritable forest of Environmental Impact Assessment and associated Public enquiries at which every facet was pored over and dissected with ample opportunity for all sorts of "Issues" to be raised.

If they believed there were assurances regarding the erection of Noise Screens then they really did need to get it in writing before construction began.
    That,I would imagine would be a legal agreement issue for any householder who was involved with the construction phase adjacent to their property.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement