Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing a stair post?

• 05-03-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

hi.
    i want to remove a post from my stairs and would like to run it by some boardsies in case there are any concerns about compromising the safety of the stairs. some of my neighbours houses (identical house types) have done this and it allows the kitchen to extend under the stairs.
    the post in question is the newel post at the top of the stairs, supporting the handrail, the post extends down to the ground floor (4x4 inch). i suspect it is not a critical structural support for the stairs since it sits on top of the floor boards, and just hangs in the air when that floor board is removed. i would like to cut it off at ceiling height, and for peace of mind fix the remaining top section to the adjacent floor beam with a metal hanger.

i've included some pics. i'm just asking for opinions, not professionally gauranteed advice etc! many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

its hard to tell from the picture. stairs usually span between floors with no intermediate support. although it looks like that "post" is the main sopport for the top step.

also a word of advice. no 2 houses are ever the same. they may look it. but rarely the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭timmer3

hi martron. thanks for the reply. the top step is primarily hung from the 4 inch floor joist, shown in the first pic (right hand side of top step joists). those joists are nailed in to the post i want to remove, but i would propose to cut off below that point, and secure the post to the other 4 inch joist beside it (perpendicular).

the diagonal board that holds the thread together (stairs) also seems to be mounted to the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Stairs are usually tied into the wall and hung but looking at that picture. Its hard to tell

that's right, i was going to cut just below that point. the more i look at it the more i think it will be fine as long as it is well secured to that 4" floor joist. there was no real weight on the floorboard it was sitting on, the board slid out quite easily. and it would give me an extra 2 feet of kitchen space which is quite a lot for the small house that it is.

• Advertisement

you need someone to stand at the top of the stairs and try and remove that board. there ewill be a difference!

i'll certainly give it a try before doing anything!
    do you see on the first picture, the joist/frame for the top step is hung by 3 vertical lengths of 4x2's on the right hand side. i could do the same on the front side of the frame, attaching it to the perpendicular joist, that will make the top step very well supported. and with the post securely bolted in to that, i would imagine the whole thing should be sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

also the string is usually cut on top to sit back over the the trimming joist.that doesnt seem to be the case here

Advertisement