Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Deer colouration

• 05-03-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

I saw 4 Red Deer yesterday.
    One was smaller than the others, so I'm guessing this may have been female or juvenile.
    But one of the three other larger ones had a much darker coat than the others. Like really dark brown, almost brown / black.
    What would that be ? A significantly older animal perhaps, or just natural variation ?
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The stags can weigh up to 130kg, the female hinds are smaller and lighter. They generally have red fur similar in colour to that of a fox, but it turns thicker and grey/brown in winter. There can be considerable variation in the colour of fur even with a closely related herd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We saw deer up here for the first time yesterday. Huge ears. Not sure which kind they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Donegal Blue stacks most likely Red deer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Donegal Blue stacks most likely Red deer.

Thank you and yes.

Previously we had only seen the Sika, up near Laghey. We were out early one morning and a stag leapt into the road in front of us. He stopped so we had a good look at him before he crossed safely and leapt the next fence.

Beautiful creature; they frequented too the house we rented there.

This time there were four or five.

Nearly "collected" a hare on that same lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i have seen deer on the road into bangor erris along the owenmore river..do you know if these are Sika or Red?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

i have seen deer on the road into bangor erris along the owenmore river..do you know if these are Sika or Red?

Red Deer and they're massive farm deer that were released in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Yeah, thee are only Red Deer in North Mayo.
    Sika in south of county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Yeah, there are only Red Deer in North Mayo.
    Sika in south of county.

Advertisement