Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the playpen; Aoibheann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Where in the world would you most like to visit and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

What Martial Art do you do, for how long and what are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Jako8 wrote: »
    Where in the world would you most like to visit and why?

Well, I've already mentioned two places I'd love to go - New Zealand and Japan. But honestly, I don't know. I want to go everywhere, experience everything the world has to offer. But I know that's not realistic. Tbh, I'd be happy anywhere that I can choose to relax and spend time by myself - but also somewhere fun where I can try new things. Anywhere becomes the place I'd like to be once I'm with friends (who understand that I do need some time to myself! :pac:), cheesy and all as that sounds.
    unknown13 wrote: »
    What Martial Art do you do, for how long and what are you?

It's called Sun kune do (it has a lot of influences - we have kicks/punches/elbows/knee strikes like kickboxing/muay thai, then we also do wristlocks, leglocks, weapon defences, throws, chokes, various other types of defences. So it covers a lot of material and is pretty great as regards self defence!).

I've been training about 3 years now, although I've missed a lot recently due to other committments and I find it hard to motivate myself to go back.

I'm me. :P Kidding! I'm a brown belt, so the black belt would be the next step, if I can convince myself that I want to go back! :)

You can meet one person (dead or alive), who is it and why?

You can meet one person (dead or alive), who is it and why?

Again with the making me choose! I can't choose, there's so many!

Audrey Hepburn - style and poise-wise, as well as being a fairly awesome actress, she was second to none. So learning how to be less of a klutz would be why.

Hitler/Stalin - just to ask why (not to get any tips on dictatorships, oh no! ¬_¬)

Newton/Einstein/*insert mathematician or physicist here* - to see how they got their inspiration, to find out how many discoveries are just down to chance and how many are sheer brilliance!

My grandfather on my father's side - as I never got to know him, and everyone spoke of him in such glowing terms that I seriously feel like I'm missing out.

There's so many more I could add to this list, but I can get back to that at another time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

What's your position on Student's Unions?

Do you worry about what you post online?

favourite place in Ireland?

if you had one wish what would it be?

if you could change one thing,what would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If you didn't like Science what would you be doing instead?

You must choose something, what do you choose and why? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Whats your favourite/least favourite type of fungi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Where now for man raised by Puffin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

God, how come your soooo nice?
    Just reading your answers to the questions made me smile like :pac:

And are you a Gleek? :)

I have to agree with this...your a very nice person Aoibheann!

When I think of a good question I'll come back, just had to get that one out there!:p

What's your position on Student's Unions? Great potential, but wasted. There's too many people who are involved for all the wrong reasons that those who genuinely want to make a change get ignored, and everyone gets tarred with the same useless brush. So wonderful in theory, woeful in practice. These things never change. Promises are never fulfilled!

Do you worry about what you post online? Meh. Not so much. I'm fairly open, but I'm as open online as I am in person, and it's an amount that I'm happy with atm. If that ever changes, I'll change how I post!

favourite place in Ireland? My bed. <3 Otherwise, I love county Clare in general - the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, the Ailwee Caves mainly but it's such a pretty county. Just so much <3.

if you had one wish what would it be? To wish for an infinite amount of wishes! :P I'd probably wish to have the motivation to go along with all the ideas I have so everything in my head would actually happen!

if you could change one thing,what would it be? About the world? About myself? You'll have to be more specific here! :P I'm one of those people who thinks they can change anything like!
    unknown13 wrote: »
    If you didn't like Science what would you be doing instead? Erm, possibly English and History, although I think studying English at that kind of level would ruin it for me. I honestly have no idea, I find it hard to even think that I wouldn't like science.
    You must choose something, what do you choose and why? :pYou're just BEGGING for a Pokémon joke here, aren't you?! :P
    Whats your favourite/least favourite type of fungi? So many awesome ones! In medicine, the penicillins, cyclosporin.. For my veggie friends Fusarium venenatum makes Quorn! Any of the edible ones are nom. Least favourite - saccharomyces makes ye olde alcohol-e, which doesn't taste nice at all at all! :P Oh, and also fly agarics = bad mmmmk!

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Where now for man raised by Puffin?

I quoted that to my friend once, and he heard "raped". o.O Then we turned it into a song to the tune of "I Kissed a Girl..". It was from the puffin's point of view, and it was "I raped a man..". We're bad people.

Also, terrierists. :D
    I have to agree with this...your a very nice person Aoibheann!

When I think of a good question I'll come back, just had to get that one out there!:p

Posts like this = why I love C&Hers. You're all lovely. <3

<3<3<3 for all!

You're entering a bank. There is a suspicious looking guy shifting around. You keep your eyes on him as you queue.

SUDDENLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (This is really sudden and a shock to you)

He points a gun to your face. How do you react?

Running and cowering aren't options because I said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

aoibheann wrote:
    if you could change one thing,what would it be? About the world? About myself? You'll have to be more specific here! tongue.gif I'm one of those people who thinks they can change anything like!

that's kind of the point,anything.The flavour of pringles,the way the 10 bus goes into town,anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Again with the making me choose! I can't choose, there's so many!

Hitler/Stalin - just to ask why (not to get any tips on dictatorships, oh no! ¬_¬)

Im teh man to talk to about all Hitler related stuff!!

Last gig attended

You're entering a bank. There is a suspicious looking guy shifting around. You keep your eyes on him as you queue.

SUDDENLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (This is really sudden and a shock to you)

He points a gun to your face. How do you react?

Running and cowering aren't options because I said so.

Hrmm.. assuming I wasn't frozen with shock, what I'd love to do (and what I frequently do when we have 2 or 3-on-1 attacks, and I'm the one and they have a knife/baton) is to kick the gun out of his hand (a decent round kick should do the job if accurate), ensure the gun is out of his reach and maybe hit him once or twice! :P Nothing beyond that as we're only allowed reasonable defence yada yada yada. That's assuming my instincts and reflexes are sharp enough. I wouldn't be stupid enough to try and wrestle a gun from somebody's grip, but the smart thing to do is to get it the hell away from them (hence the kick) before you even think of anything else.

[/B]

that's kind of the point,anything.The flavour of pringles,the way the 10 bus goes into town,anything

Ah that's tough! There's so much I'd like to change. I'd like to change the way people perceive different things - some people are so freaking prejudiced it actually makes me despair for everyone. You can't do anything remotely different, be anyway different from what's "normal" to some people or you'll be judged. On a personal note, I was the "weird" girl in my year. I was the one who was interested in everything, had an opinion on everything, had real ambitions and hobbies outside of whatever was in at the time! Oh, and I wasn't a gossip - didn't mean I wasn't highly amused to hear any such gossip about myself! :) And it didn't bother me. But if everyone had been bitching about one of my friends as opposed to me, it would have been an entirely different story - you don't mess with my friends! :) So in short, I'd like for people to actually give a person a chance before they judge them on stupid things like that!
    Im teh man to talk to about all Hitler related stuff!!

Last gig attended Gig? Oh god, it's been so long since I've been to a proper one tbh. Last gig of any sort was a local one on my birthday, I knew everyone playing and they made a complete show of me! :D Great night.

*rambles*

Do you sing/play any musical instruments? Ever play sports? You seem like one of those superstar all-rounder types :)

Do you sing/play any musical instruments? Ever play sports? You seem like one of those superstar all-rounder types :)

I sing, badly. I *think* I can sing maybe 2/3 songs reasonably well i.e. it won't make you want to scratch your eyes out much! I am pathetic on guitar, a decent drummer (for a beginner) and I can play the bodhrán reasonably well. Oh, and the tin-whistle. Only the last one anyway decently though! :P

Sports? I've played far too many. I'm more of a solo-sports person as I find there's far too many lazy people on teams. Here's what I've played: football (GAA and Soccer), camogie (as a young'un and I gave up as I was sick of being bashed with sticks), tennis, swimming, basketball, cycling, athletics (sprinting and javelin), a few martial arts (sun kune do properly with a wee bit of tae kwon do), fencing.. Loads more that I can't think of. The only ones I'm anyway good at though are sun kune do, fencing (purely because I'm left-handed so it's very awkward being against me!) and cycling. I <3 sports though so I'll try anything.

Me, all-rounder? Howso? :confused:

MOAR PLZ.

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote:
    Me, all-rounder? Howso? :confused:

From this thread alone...

You do all of these things:
    I sing... guitar... a decent drummer (for a beginner) and I can play the bodhrán reasonably well. Oh, and the tin-whistle. Only the last one anyway decently though! :P

football (GAA and Soccer), camogie... tennis, swimming, basketball, cycling, athletics (sprinting and javelin), a few martial arts (sun kune do properly with a wee bit of tae kwon do), fencing..

You answered a question on Man Utd far manlierer than I ever could (in a good way :p)
    Aoibheann wrote:
    Why do people keep asking me my favourite thing from a choice of so many awesome things? Hasn't it become clear that I'm painfully indecisive?! I'll pick any from the stereotypical Law, Best, Cantona, Keane to Scholes, Solskjaer (epic, epic sub and all-around decent guy. Seems like he'll never leave United! One of the few quiet players in terms of the media and one of those rare types who wants to give so much back rather than just taking all he can get.). Ok, probably Solskjaer.

You study Science but have an interest in English and History and other non-Scientific things.

You're an all-rounder superstar :)

Explain Rutherford's gold foil experiment.

What conclusions did he come to?

Also explain the big bang theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Sneaky! ;) I plead the fifth choose the catmods! :pac: Do I have to choose based on personality or based on modskills? As if it's the former I can't possibly judge having only met two of them.

>_>

<_<
    Are you hinting at that post what I think you're hinting at? A yes or no answer will suffice.

What issues do you feel strongly about?

Most controversial opinion?

Favourite musical instrument (ie. the one you enjoy hearing)?

Favourite food?

Define electronegativity (good idea Jako, lets see how the big theoretical physics course holds up against the wee ole LC)

Are you a real going-out-going-to-nightclubs party person, or a stay-at-home-with-friends kinda person (ie. what appeals to you most)?

Would you were consider yourself a geek, nerd, emo (:P) or none-of-the-above?

Most appealing charectoristic of a person to you?

Do you have any secrets you'll never, ever reveal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Explain the reason for the speed increase in a binary search over a linear search on an array of integers, and the condition that must be met for a binary search to work.

From this thread alone...

You do all of these things:

You answered a question on Man Utd far manlierer than I ever could (in a good way :p)

You study Science but have an interest in English and History and other non-Scientific things.

You're an all-rounder superstar :)

Between you and the others in this thread, you're all going to give me a huge ego. >.<

<3
    Explain Rutherford's gold foil experiment.

What conclusions did he come to?

Argh! Actual effort here.

A sheet of gold foil was bombarded with alpha particles, with zinc sulphide as a detector. The expected result was in accordance with the plum pudding model (JJ Thomson), which predicted that the particles would be deflected by a few degrees maximum. However, it was found that a small no of them were deflected through very large angles (over 90 degrees). Rutherford then came to the conclusion that the plum pudding model was incorrect, and that the actual structure of the atom was thus: a large amount of the atom's charge and mass was in a very small region in the centre, the nucleus, and he proposed that outside of this there was empty space. He couldn't determine if it was positive or negative at the time, but schmeh. :P Oh, and I love this quote:

"It was quite the most incredible event that has ever happened to me in my life. It was almost as incredible as if you fired a 15-inch shell at a piece of tissue paper and it came back and hit you. On consideration, I realized that this scattering backward must be the result of a single collision, and when I made calculations I saw that it was impossible to get anything of that order of magnitude unless you took a system in which the greater part of the mass of the atom was concentrated in a minute nucleus. It was then that I had the idea of an atom with a minute massive centre, carrying a charge."

Long post is looooooooooong.

Also explain the big bang theory.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Explain the reason for the speed increase in a binary search over a linear search on an array of integers, and the condition that must be met for a binary search to work.

To both of these.. *waves magic hands*

The Big Bang Theory is quite an amusing TV show that I've been known to watch on occasion. It observes the lives of awkward, pathetic science types who are nearly (or entirely in Sheldon's case) incapable of communicating with other people. Also it has a female type, Penny, who is normal and for some reason is with Leonard at some point. She can do better! :pac: I'd explain the actual one, but lazy. :P

Hrmm.. as regards the search, I know next to nothing about this, but have an idea based on some computing stuff we did earlier this term. As n gets larger, e.g. to search a thousand or a million things with a linear search, you'll need that many iterations. You need far, far less with binary. => faster. Am I anyway right with that? And binary needs the list in a sorted order afaik, but I knew that one.. I hope. :P

jumpguy wrote: »
    Are you hinting at that post what I think you're hinting at? A yes or no answer will suffice. I'm not sure what you think I'm hinting at, so maybe? :p

What issues do you feel strongly about? Stem cell research is a huge one for me. We need more research because it has so many possibilities, but people don't understand it enough for that to happen. Actually, that's the world's biggest issue for me - a lack of awareness. People don't know or understand what's going on around them, and that's why we have so many things wrong with the world. A little understanding goes a long way.

Most controversial opinion? Tbh, I think all of my opinions are fairly reasonable. A lot of people find the fact that I don't ever want to drink controversial. :P Others find the fact that I'm personally anti-abortion controversial. It isn't. I understand the reasoning behind it (this goes for both actually), but it's not something I could ever consider doing.

Favourite musical instrument (ie. the one you enjoy hearing)? It honestly depends. I find the piano very soothing, but I love drum solos (like in Take 5 <3) and acoustic guitar is awesome.

Favourite food? I like far too much food. Italian and Indian food in general I'd say. :) Oh, and chocolate.

Define electronegativity (good idea Jako, lets see how the big theoretical physics course holds up against the wee ole LC) It's a measure of the attraction of an atom of an element has for the shared pair of electrons in a covalent bond. It's affected by atomic weight and distance of electrons from nucleus. :)

Are you a real going-out-going-to-nightclubs party person, or a stay-at-home-with-friends kinda person (ie. what appeals to you most)? The latter, by far. I love hanging out with my friends, and while I enjoy dancing, I can dance like an idiot around my house far more comfortably.

Would you were consider yourself a geek, nerd, emo (:P) or none-of-the-above? I'm a nerd through and through. :)

Most appealing charectoristic of a person to you? Ha! So many things make up the sneaky one I've come up with: being on the same wavelength as me. That pretty much comprises opinions, sense of humour, intelligence, likes/dislikes.. but all in one, so HAH. :D

Do you have any secrets you'll never, ever reveal? Of my own, or those belonging to someone else? I'm not particularly secretive per se, but I do find it difficult to talk about certain things. That's more of a trust issue with people than anything else, I don't keep secrets if I trust someone.

I'll guard someone elses' secret with my life though.

MOAR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Hrmm.. as regards the search, I know next to nothing about this, but have an idea based on some computing stuff we did earlier this term. As n gets larger, e.g. to search a thousand or a million things with a linear search, you'll need that many iterations. You need far, far less with binary. => faster. Am I anyway right with that? And binary needs the list in a sorted order afaik, but I knew that one.. I hope. :P

Correct :P, you need about log2(N) iterations to be precise :P

Next question, Chocolate or crisps?

• Advertisement

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Correct :P, you need about log2(N) iterations to be precise :P

Next question, Chocolate or crisps?

S'actually pretty interesting. Nom, log2(N). :D

Oh god, so difficult. Chocolate, because it's delicious, it can be eaten by itself, in cake or in so many different ways. Even drinks! Hot chocolate, mmmm...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement