Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the playpen; Aoibheann

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Monzo wrote: »
    Aaaaagh, I've read Crime and Punishment and I really want to read the other two (I've had Anna Karenina lying on my desk for the past six months waiting for college to end so I can digest it properly without distraction). Ulysses is another monster on my list, figure I'll leave it for a few years though.

Oh do read them! Lolita is just.. wow. It's really well written and deals with the subject really well. Nabokov likes his taboo topics tbh, I'm reading Ada atm and it's pretty much all about incest as far as I can tell. Ulysses is an accomplishment above anything else for me! :P

Yes! It also provides a strong basis of showing how hypothetical questions are a tad nonsensical! :D

Anyway. Freddos: Caramel variety or Normal variety?

Both on different occasions. Sometimes you just need pure chocolate, for the ultimate sugar rush. Caramel are delicious. Tbh, I can't choose, as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

What's the best piece of advice you were ever given?

Favourite website (apart from Boards,of course:D)?

Best compliment you've ever received?

5 things you like about yourself?

Languages you'd love to learn to speak?

Any fears/phobias?

Any interest in politics?

So, you do TP. :) Any interest in chemistry or is physics your science?

Are you ticklish?

What do you do when you need cheering up?

Favourite girls name/girls names you like?

Favourite boys name/boys names you like?

Pet peeves?

Guilty pleasures?

Bottled water,yay or nay?

Proudest achievements?

That's all I've got for now. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

What would you say to Thom Yorke if you ever met him?

Pet hates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

You get to punch one person in the face, who do you punch and why?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pick your one favourite striking technique and one favourite grappling technique from sun kune do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Favourite social networking website?

Do you think you're fooling anyone with all these not-so-subtle responses?

Do you care?

Pirates or Ninja's?

will you be at the next C&H meet up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ok I know a few people have asked you about physics already, but I'm gonna ask again. :pac:

Favourite and least favourite areas of physics?
    Favourite and least favourite areas of maths?
    Are you more of a theorist or an experimentalist?
    Things you love/hate about your course.
    What do you hope to do after your degree?
    How about a joint UCC/Trinity Physics party? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

How about a joint UCC/Trinity Physics party? :D
    UCC? Ye're coming to Cork? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

jumpguy wrote: »

Eh, I'm from Cork (near Mallow). Been in UCC since 2007.
    I was asking Aoibheann if she fancied bringing a load of Trinity physics students down to Cork with her for a party! :pac:

Apologies if these aren't in order, some posters have asked so many that they get a post of their own! :)
    Eh, I'm from Cork (near Mallow). Been in UCC since 2007.
    I was asking Aoibheann if she fancied bringing a load of Trinity physics students down to Cork with her for a party! :pac:

Oi, stop hijacking my thread.. :pac: Sorry jumpguy, I'm going nowhere near Cork. I have issues with the place. Well, specific people. Nobody here though. <3
    Craguls wrote: »
    What would you say to Thom Yorke if you ever met him?

Pet hates?

I think I'd probably faint. Or ramble somewhat incoherently. What do you say to someone who's written such amazing music which always seems to fit perfectly with how you feel? So I'd probably just thank him. Or faint, like I said.

Smoking. I hate, hate, HATE it. I can't think of something more disgusting.
    Ignorance.
    Judgemental types. That combined with ignorance (they go hand in hand really) is one of the worst personality traits going.
    I'm sure there's loads more, but nothing I can think of.
    Jako8 wrote: »
    You get to punch one person in the face, who do you punch and why?

I don't like to punch people unless it's really, absolutely necessary. There are other ways to hurt people.. Most of 'em aren't even physical.

There's a couple of people that I can think of that are deserving, but none of ye know 'em so it'd be pointless to say.

Oh, and Enda Kenny. Just because I could. :D

• Advertisement

Will you ever do a tour of Ireland so we can all meet you (Obama-esq)? :P

Favourite 3 songs ever? (Not sure if this is asked)

Favourite musical artist?

Favourite form of art?

Would you regard yourself as a person with alot of perserverance?

Favourite Queen song?

Favourite Florence and the Machine song?

Latest major turning point in your life?

You are hanging at the precipice of a cliff, and there is an inevitably fatal fall of over 4000 meters into pointy rocks. Would you be able to haul yourself up or how long would you be able to hold on?

Longest you reckon you'd be able to run?

What's your wattage?

If you were to run in a circular track of radium 60 meters, what'd be your maximum angular velocity?

Would you run a marathon to save the world?

There's a very large meteor about to hit Earth in a year and the world's space agencies have all collaborated to find a way of diverting it. The meteor has a mass of 500,000kg and is travelling at a velocity of 1,532,423 m/s. They are taking suggestions from everyone, but especially theoretical physicists. What would you suggest?

Did you ever lose hope during the Leaving Cert?

Any habits?

Pick your one favourite striking technique and one favourite grappling technique from sun kune do :)

Can I pick two strikes - one's involving elbows, one's a kick?

I'm going to work with the assumption that I can. Rhetorical questions <3. :P

So my favourite kick is a spinning hook kick (once I do it right), though even a hook kick can be excellent. You get either the kidneys or the back of someone's head, and it's nearly impossible to defend. Then there's so many elbow and palm strikes that I love, but today I'll go for a spinning axe elbow into a front sternal elbow. Basically a double-hit on the sternum and painful as hell if hit properly.

We don't have grappling techniques per se in sun kune do, so I'm going to pick something from our defenses/throws/locks. There's so many that I love - leglocks in general are my favourite - but I'll pick the 12th escape we learned. It's nearly impossible to describe, but I'll try. Starts from being grabbed with two hands at the neck, their hold is broken (your left arm is brought over in such a way that if they didn't release it'd be horribly painful/broken), and at the same time grabbing their right wrist/hand with your right hand. Wrist is brought over the head, some fancy footwork and then a sort-of reverse/inner figure four is locked in and they're brought down in such a way that they're on their side. In training, we bring people down verrrrrry carefully as it's seriously painful but obviously you'd be less kind in a serious situation. You can bring your leg across them to avoid them rolling out if they're anyway flexible, but I'm one of the very few people I know that can break that hold, so it's not usually necessary in training - but it's good to have that drilled in. Then a nice counter to finish. :D
    Favourite social networking website? Boards is totally a social networking site.. \o/ Otherwise, I'd only really use facebook, though I'm going off it now too!

Do you think you're fooling anyone with all these not-so-subtle responses? God no! :pac: I'm not even trying to be remotely subtle. I just like talking in circles.

Do you care? I think it's pretty obvious from the above response that I don't. :)

Pirates or Ninja's? Much and all as I love pirates, I'm a ninja at heart.

will you be at the next C&H meet up? I shall try my best! Depends on if I'm around that weekend, but hopefully. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Which Radiohead song should I listen to right now?

Not to be confused with the previously asked "What's your favourite Radiohead song" of course.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Favourite internet meme?

Most hated internet meme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

If you could go back in time where would you go?

Jordan Normal Forms or Gram-Schmidt Orthogonalisation?

What would you do if you had 1 day of life left?

What are your favourite types of shoes?

Favourite Modest Mouse song/album?

What's the best piece of advice you were ever given?
    Not to let people get to me, and not to bear any grudges against them - some people just don't have any tolerance whatsoever. It's worked for me as I don't ever bear grudges, I don't hate anyone and I'm a better person for it.

Oh, and not to let little things to get me. The day I realised that all big things are composed of said little things was a good day. :D

Favourite website (apart from Boards,of course:D)? Oh, tough one. The Guardian website for my daily news fix and all my usual tabs are facebook, boards, twitter, last.fm and some webcomics.

Ok, I'mma pick xkcd, purely as it combines maths and humour in a way that nobody else could ever imagine!

Best compliment you've ever received? My friend was going for her black belt in the same martial art that I do, she was over in England for the grading and was texting me the night before basically bricking it. I was doing my best to keep her mind off it and cheer her up, and she told me I always knew exactly what to say to cheer her up and that I was the best friend she could imagine. It was just lovely. :)

There's a couple more that I've received recently that I'm still trying to get my head around, but they were equally appreciated. :)

5 things you like about yourself? Oh god. >.< Well, here goes.

1. My eyes. They change colour on a regular basis. They're green/brown in varying degrees on different days and I can make them look more like one than the other with some good eye make-up! Apparently they looked blue-ish recently too.

2. I have opinions and I'm not afraid to stand up for them. I don't back down easily! So basically, I'm stubborn. :P

3. I'm smart. Yes, that sounds arrogant, but whatever. I know I'm of at least reasonable intelligence and I'm happy, because that means I can study what I really enjoy doing, and actually do it well.

4. I'm loyal to my friends, and really protective of them if needs be. As I said before in this thread - you mess with my friends and you'll bring me down on top of you. I'd like to think I've been a good friend to people thus far.

5. Despite the fact that it comes back to bite me in the ass on a regular basis, I love the enthusiasm I have for just about everything. I love getting involved in things (though sometimes I end up being hugely frustrated and disillusioned), and despite the cynicism I've gained over the years, I can still manage to look at something with open eyes and want to be involved. It's probably a flaw as opposed to anything else, but feck it!

Languages you'd love to learn to speak? Seeing as I've started, Japanese. My French is only basic (did German in school) so I'd love to improve that and Russian.

Any fears/phobias? No serious ones. I dislike sleazy winks as the people who know me here will agree, but I'm getting used to them. HAH! :D I dislike spiders and insects in general, but I can live with them. On a more "serious" note, failure. I don't do failing so I'm afraid to start!

Any interest in politics? Loads actually! I always think I can do something better than the way current politicians do things, and as I've said before I'm one of those people who genuinely think they can make a change, so you never know - you could see me in the Dáil in the years to come!

So, you do TP. :) Any interest in chemistry or is physics your science? I like all science, honestly. I did all of them for the LC and would you believe for most of the way through school that Biology and Chemistry were my favourites? Chemistry is probably the coolest one in that you get to mess around with some pretty snazzy stuff, and I do like the overlap with chem that we get in modern physics classes and the like.

Are you ticklish? I am, but I've grown very resistant to it due to an incident years ago. My friends decided to lift me up in the air while about 10 of them tickled me simultaneously. I've never been as ticklish since, but some people know how to get me at times.

What do you do when you need cheering up? If I'm home, I go out to my strike-bag and hit/kick it as hard as I can for as long as I can. If I'm not, I might just rant at a close friend or go for a run. Ice-cream/chocolate of course. I don't usually stay too upset for long as I have some seriously amazing people who always help.

Favourite girls name/girls names you like? Being totally arrogant, I love my own name. I can't think of any other name I'd like to be called, but so many are really pretty. Hrmm, lemme see. Aoife, Áine, Emma, Sinead, Alanna, Cara.. I like Irish names, provided they're not ridiculous ones. Loads of names. Tbh, I'm thinking of my friends mainly there, and because I <3 my friends, I <3 their names. If I knew some horrible bitch by any of those names, I'd hate the name. It's a weird association thing that I do!

Favourite boys name/boys names you like? I'm going to be lazy and let all my male friends assume I like their names. You all have lovely names. <3

Pet peeves? Think I answered this with Craguls' questions.. but smokers, ignorant types, prejudice of any shape or form, people who make up their mind about someone/something without knowing anything about the person or situation.

Guilty pleasures? Chocolate is my main vice. Writing horribly emo crap when I'm feeling a bit down. That should go in the cheering me up part really but anyway!

Bottled water,yay or nay? I quite like it, but I like any water. If I'm thirsty, tap water'll do just fine.

Proudest achievements? I think jumpguy asked something similar, and as I said, a lot of things I've "achieved" in other peoples' eyes mean feck all to me. Sure, they were pretty amazing at the time, but meh! Oh, I can think of one. Making the decision to leave my course when I genuinely wasn't happy at all. I'm so much happier now than I was that year and it's made so much of a difference.

That's all I've got for now. :p

Wow, nice questions! :)

Ok I know a few people have asked you about physics already, but I'm gonna ask again. :pac:

Favourite and least favourite areas of physics? Modern/nuclear/particle as favourite.. least favourite probably the light and sound module we did last term, purely as it was so boring

Favourite and least favourite areas of maths? Linear algebra and analysis from what I've done. PDEs look cool from what I've seen, and so does Math. neuro. Mechanics makes me cry on a daily basis, but I love it really.

Are you more of a theorist or an experimentalist? I'm a maths-y girl more so, so I'll go for theorist. That many change!

Things you love/hate about your course. Hate mechanics (though I love it really) because it's been a really awkward module this year. So I'll grow to love it, but not now. Hate the fact that we do super-easy physics. Hate labs, though they're not too difficult. Time-consuming. I love linear algebra, and analysis (though it's harder now :(), I love the group I hang out with on a daily basis in the same place at the same times! I love the challenge of doing maths assignments though sometimes they're a bit too difficult. I hate my timetable.

What do you hope to do after your degree? So many things! I'll definitely do a postgrad in some area, but it could be anywhere from the Computing/Theoretical Physics MSc I've heard about, to Medical Physics, to Mathematical Neuroscience, to working in the stock markets, to Cryptography. I love that I have so many options!

How about a joint UCC/Trinity Physics party? :DSounds like fun.. Now to convince my class to go out ever!
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    Which Radiohead song should I listen to right now?

Not to be confused with the previously asked "What's your favourite Radiohead song" of course. Sure Talk Show Host anyway. It's awesome. Ooh, Jigsaw Falling Into Place. Bodysnatchers. Nude. Just highlights of the most recent album. Their cover of The Headmaster Ritual. So, so many.
    Favourite internet meme? Rick-rolling. Purely because doing it in a kareoke bar is so, so much fun.

Most hated internet meme? Boxxy. Boxxy, Boxxy, Boxxy. ARGH. :P

Jumpguy, you and your crazy long list are next, I swear!
    Fringe wrote: »
    If you could go back in time where would you go? Early 1900's so I could get in with the cool physics discoveries first. There'll be nothing left by the time I get out of college.. >.< So many other times, but that's the first off the top of my head!

Jordan Normal Forms or Gram-Schmidt Orthogonalisation? Well, considering I've actually answered this week's assignment question on Gram-Schmidt Orthogonalisation and I think the answer is right, I'll go for that. Actually quite liking the Jordan Normal Form these days though - getting the hang of it, and not a day too soon. I need to study. ;_;

What would you do if you had 1 day of life left? Knowing me, I'd probably accidentally sleep through it! :P Nah, I'd hopefully do at least one thing like skydiving or something that I'd never got around to, create some hilarious public scene for my own amusement, then spend some quality time with friends and family. :)

What are your favourite types of shoes? Vans or converse. Vans for the ultimate comfort, though I need some new ones. My lovely purple and black ones are worn out. :(

Favourite Modest Mouse song/album? Why do you people make me choose favourites? I love Good News.. , I love The Moon & Antarctica, The Lonesome Crowded West.. I love them all, honestly. I don't think I can pick a favourite. As for tracks, same goes again. The World At Large, People as Places as People, Jesus Christ Was An Only Child (I don't know why, just so catchy). Again, not an exhaustive list, it'll change tomorrow.

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Jumpguy, you and your crazy long list are next, I swear!
    I like my questions.

Cause they have physics in 'em.

:pac:

Will you ever do a tour of Ireland so we can all meet you (Obama-esq)? :P Sure, why not this summer. A Neurotic has decided I'd be an excellent politician anyway so I may as well get started on the career.

Favourite 3 songs ever? (Not sure if this is asked) Ever? No way can I choose. That changes on a daily basis! :P So I'll just give 3 songs I love off the top of my head, and I'll ignore Radiohead entirely:

Bob Dylan - Forever Young. I hate his voice, but I love the song!
    The Smiths - This Charming Man. Always going to be one on my list.
    Sarah McLachlan - Full of Grace. Such a beautiful song.

Favourite musical artist? Band. Radiohead. Always. :D

Favourite form of art? I'm going to go for Surrealism here. I'm a huge Dali fan. Hate most "contemporary" stuff.

Would you regard yourself as a person with alot of perserverance? I'm stubborn as hell! I'm terrible as regards motivating myself, but once I'm in, I don't give up.

Favourite Queen song? In keeping with the previous question - Don't Stop Me Now. :D

Favourite Florence and the Machine song? Swimming. It's so lovely.

Latest major turning point in your life? I don't see life as having so many major turning points, because if we look closely, there's all these little turning points combining to make up the so-called major turning points. All the signs are pointing to these changes, sometimes we just bury our heads in the sand and pretend like they're not happening, so when they actually do they seem so big! That said, I've had one or two very pleasant surprises this year. Last big thing was probably deciding on this course.

You are hanging at the precipice of a cliff, and there is an inevitably fatal fall of over 4000 meters into pointy rocks. Would you be able to haul yourself up or how long would you be able to hold on? I'd haul myself up. I think we're all capable of seriously amazing things in these kind of situations, it just depends on how you deal with the adrenaline. It'd be hard to keep calm, I'd just hope I could manage!

Longest you reckon you'd be able to run? Without stopping? Used to be quite a while, but genuinely not sure now. A few km? No idea, I'll go for a run tomorrow or the next day and get back to you. :P

What's your wattage? Cycling-wise? I have no idea of my power output or anything, I need to get myself some fancy computer-y gear. :D Someday, I'll report back. >_>

If you were to run in a circular track of radium 60 meters, what'd be your maximum angular velocity? "radium"? If the track had that much radium I sure as hell wouldn't be running in it! :P

Would you run a marathon to save the world? Sure, why the hell not?!

There's a very large meteor about to hit Earth in a year and the world's space agencies have all collaborated to find a way of diverting it. The meteor has a mass of 500,000kg and is travelling at a velocity of 1,532,423 m/s. They are taking suggestions from everyone, but especially theoretical physicists. What would you suggest? The world's population simultaneously dancing so as to move the earth precisely enough to avoid the meteor.

Did you ever lose hope during the Leaving Cert? Ha. Aha. Erm, well, my granny died during the first week of exams, so that was a bit of a downer. But then she was my biggest fan, and really wanted me to get whatever *I* wanted to do, so I just blocked everything out for the following week or so and got through the exams. Then it hit me!

Any habits Many. I bite my nails. >.< Collars tend to irritate me so I tend to pull on them regularly - my clothes must be horribly misshapen. I argue with people too much - as my mother said, I'd argue with my nails if I had any... :P

At last. MOAR QUESTIONS. :D

• Advertisement

At last. MOAR QUESTIONS. :D
    :( I meant to say radius. :( Damn you other chemical elements.

What's your favourite question you've been asked so far?

What's your favourite question asked by me? :P

:( I meant to say radius. :( Damn you other chemical elements. *wins at life*

What's your favourite question you've been asked so far? I honestly can't pick. Some people have put some serious thought into questions and it's been much appreciated. I like the overall effect this thread has had of making me consider things, and myself, in a different light!

What's your favourite question asked by me? :P Either which boardsie I'd be for a day or the meteor one. :D

:)

Of all the people who you've met on here has anyone been dramatically different from your initial impressions?

Of all the people who you've met on here has anyone been dramatically different from your initial impressions?

You're not as quiet.. :P

Honestly, I can't remember how I initially perceived people for the most part. I've been pleasantly surprised by just how cool everyone is, despite thinking that prior to meeting them. I can't believe I've made such great friends with some people in such a short space of time. Who knew I'd be dragging people that I know from the internet over to my apartment for a pre-Christmas gathering, or that my place would become the crashing place/alternative to going out drinking?

Some of the people I know from here have had a seriously positive effect on my life and it's much appreciated. <3 for all. After all, what would I do without my Monday afternoon we-time? :pac:

You're not as quiet.. :P

Honestly, I can't remember how I initially perceived people for the most part. I've been pleasantly surprised by just how cool everyone is, despite thinking that prior to meeting them. I can't believe I've made such great friends with some people in such a short space of time. Who knew I'd be dragging people that I know from the internet over to my apartment for a pre-Christmas gathering, or that my place would become the crashing place/alternative to going out drinking?

Some of the people I know from here have had a seriously positive effect on my life and it's much appreciated. <3 for all. After all, what would I do without my Monday afternoon we-time? :pac:

To be fair your place is rather cool.

<3. I quite love it. We need another gathering soon!

<3. I quite love it. We need another gathering soon!

Friday or Saturday? :P

Friday or Saturday? :P

I love how you assume you're invited! :P

Next gathering shall be whenever suits most people. *nods*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭akkadian

6 or 7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I <3 my box :)