Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra charge on phone credit

Options
  • 05-03-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with this, I ask for 10 euro's credit in supervalu, machine prints the credit out, hand in my 10 euro note and the woman say's "eh sorrrrrrrrri its 10.50 we've a 50c charge on it" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Robbing b%$tards I mean not only a 50c charge on a tenner credit but they even have the cheek to ask for an extra 1 euro on twenty euro's credit:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Complain to the network

If a can of coke goes up from the manufacturer, so does the retail price to the customer.

Phone credit has gone up 4 times in the last 3 years. And the shop is expected to carry on charging the same price? Get a grip. The shop has every right to charge more.

If you dont like it, dont buy it. or complain to the network, they are the ones that increased the cost price.

A shopkeeper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Complain to the network

If a can of coke goes up from the manufacturer, so does the retail price to the customer.

Phone credit has gone up 4 times in the last 3 years. And the shop is expected to carry on charging the same price? Get a grip. The shop has every right to charge more.

If you dont like it, dont buy it. or complain to the network, they are the ones that increased the cost price.

A shopkeeper
    Well isn't it any wonder your a shopkeeper:rolleyes:

Rip off - To steal from,To exploit, swindle, cheat, or defraud.

Ive asked for 10 euros credit not 10.50, if I pay the 10.50 I will still only receive 10 euros credit, so thereby im getting cheated, robbed or whatever you want to call it, of 50c by you the retailer!

So now why dont you go and complain to the phone networks instead of ripping off us customers of our hard earned cash, so I think you should get a grip!

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Well isn't it any wonder your a shopkeeper:rolleyes:

Rip off - To steal from,To exploit, swindle, cheat, or defraud.

Ive asked for 10 euros credit not 10.50, if I pay the 10.50 I will still only receive 10 euros credit, so thereby im getting cheated, robbed or whatever you want to call it, of 50c by you the retailer!

So now why dont you go and complain to the phone networks instead of ripping off us customers of our hard earned cash, so I think you should get a grip!

I dont have a problem with it...

I came up with a solution which keeps the status quo - you are the one with the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

I dont have a problem with it...

I came up with a solution which keeps the status quo - you are the one with the problem.

man you're the one with an attitude though.

OP: was there sign or something highlighting the surcharge?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Buy it online direct from the network,
    buy it from a pass machine,
    buy it from an automatic kiosk that doesn't charge extra,
    buy it online through your online banking.
    buy it through your phone by ringing the top-up number that ever network has.

Why even bother getting it from a shop if you getting high blood pressure for the sake of 50 cent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Fact: Shops wanted more money from the networks for selling credit. Networks didn't want to pay them. Shop increases price of credit.

As previous poster said: By direct from the network. With VF and maybe the others (not sure) you can pay 20e for 20e call credit and get 10% extra free.

Wouldn't bother buying from any shops.

nmesisca wrote: »

Probably caused by hearing this on a daily basis.

Something that used to cost me about 9 euros, now costs about 9.70

Its just plain unreasonable to expect me to take the hit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

How people have short memories. A few years ago the mobile networks reduced the commission paid to retailers on the top ups sold. So in order to keep their margins the retailers put the margin on top of the credit price. People will still buy the credit anyway.

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Fact: Shops wanted more money from the networks for selling credit. Networks didn't want to pay them. Shop increases price of credit.

Sorry thats wrong. Shops didnt want any MORE money.

They just reacted to a cost-price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

nmesisca wrote: »

Didnt see any sign bud.
    jimoc wrote: »
    Buy it online direct from the network,
    buy it from a pass machine,
    buy it from an automatic kiosk that doesn't charge extra,
    buy it online through your online banking.
    buy it through your phone by ringing the top-up number that ever network has.

Why even bother getting it from a shop if you getting high blood pressure for the sake of 50 cent?
    Its not just the sake of 50 cent its the principle, if we pay this they'll keep on upping the charge, where will it stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Didnt see any sign bud.

Its not just the sake of 50 cent its the principle, if we pay this they'll keep on upping the charge, where will it stop?

The networks don't want shops selling their credit, they want to sell it directly themselves so that they don't have to pay commission.
    The charge upping will stop when every shop in the country tells the mobile networks to take their machines away and gives the networks what they want, a monopoly on where people can get credit for their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

To be honest OP you are not seeing it from the shops perspective, and I know people will say that you don't have to as you are the punter, but unfortunately other events further down the chain will have an impact on the end retailer, so the attitude could be a little more sympathetic.

You may be buying €10 credit, but to do that you are engaging the service of the retailer, who is not doing it for free. If you have an issue with this then your problem is with the network and one of its distribution channels. Like previous posters have said, buy direct/dont' buy at all... But this is not a rip off.

The charge upping, or the cost price increases?

I didnt realise thats what they were at. I thought they were just trying to increase their profits at the shops expense...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,520 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Shops will charge what people are willing to pay. Always have, always will.

Solution: Don't buy phone credit from shops.

Simple.

I have zero sympathy for people who get ripped off in this manner tbh.

KevArno wrote: »
    To be honest OP you are not seeing it from the shops perspective, and I know people will say that you don't have to as you are the punter, but unfortunately other events further down the chain will have an impact on the end retailer, so the attitude could be a little more sympathetic.

You may be buying €10 credit, but to do that you are engaging the service of the retailer, who is not doing it for free. If you have an issue with this then your problem is with the network and one of its distribution channels. Like previous posters have said, buy direct/dont' buy at all... But this is not a rip off.

I had a customer come in here with a phone credit she bought from an automated machine as it didnt charge a service fee. She bought the wrong one and asked me to help her.

I promptly referred her to the seller. Then she realised she couldnt do that as it was a machine with noone to help her.

Perhaps she will appreciate and support her small local shop in future....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

This has been going on for years... Jebus.. I top up using my online banking.. 20 euro gets me 20 euro!!!

Its only going to be rip off Ireland if people continue paying for the rip off services...

I had a customer come in here with a phone credit she bought from an automated machine as it didnt charge a service fee. She bought the wrong one and asked me to help her.

I promptly referred her to the seller. Then she realised she couldnt do that as it was a machine with noone to help her.

Small shops that rip people off? Great support alright.

The 5% tax that small shops impose is nothing short of shamefull.

Rip off Ireland indeed.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Small shops that rip people off? Great support alright.

The 5% tax that small shops impose is nothing short of shamefull.

Rip off Ireland indeed.

Tax? What tax?

What thread are you reading ?:eek:

Tax? What tax?

What thread are you reading ?:eek:

Sorry a "service charge" :rolleyes:

jimoc wrote: »
    The networks don't want shops selling their credit, they want to sell it directly themselves so that they don't have to pay commission.
    The charge upping will stop when every shop in the country tells the mobile networks to take their machines away and gives the networks what they want, a monopoly on where people can get credit for their phones.

A monopoly on where people can get credit? That sounds mental!!!

Do you know how many different avenues to acquire credit that don't charge a surcharge? I think of 5 of the top of my head! You don't need to go to a shop, there are many more convenient ways.

• Advertisement

Sorry a "service charge" :rolleyes:

The service (staff) have to be paid.

Like everything else in retail. If the cost price goes up, so does the retail.

Phone credit is no different.

A machine with nobody to help? Eh no. That would be the network that would help. If there was a problem with a machine issuing vouchers then it would be referred by the network to the vendor. In the meantime, there are processes in place to ensure the customer would get there credit.

Sorry thats wrong. Shops didnt want any MORE money.

They just reacted to a cost-price increase.

Oh yeah! Apologies.

The service (staff) have to be paid.

Like everything else in retail. If the cost price goes up, so does the retail.

Phone credit is no different.

Then why do Dunnes Stores not have this charge?

Or more importantly, why doesn't every small shop/garage have it?

It's a blatent rip off. Another reason to never shop in small shops.

A machine with nobody to help? Eh no. That would be the network that would help. If there was a problem with a machine issuing vouchers then it would be referred by the network to the vendor. In the meantime, there are processes in place to ensure the customer would get there credit.

Eh YES! The network wouldnt even listen to her. There was nothing wrong with the credit. She bought the wrong network.

As it was a machine, there was noone to help her. Only a mobile number for "customer services". It is situated in a pub and the barman just shrugged his shoulders.

The "processes" you speak of are of no use to someone who has no money to buy more credit and wait while they try to get a refund from someone on a mobile phone elsewhere.

Then why do Dunnes Stores not have this charge?

Or more importantly, why doesn't every small shop/garage have it?

It's a blatent rip off. Another reason to never shop in small shops.

Because they are big enough, and make enough money to absorb the extra cost, while a lot of small shops couldnt.

Thats why.

Eh YES! The network wouldnt even listen to her. There was nothing wrong with the credit. She bought the wrong network.

As it was a machine, there was noone to help her. Only a mobile number for "customer services". It is situated in a pub and the barman just shrugged his shoulders.

The "processes" you speak of are of no use to someone who has no money to buy more credit and wait while they try to get a refund from someone on a mobile phone elsewhere.

If it's a case they do it at an ATM it's easily fixed. Should be something (there has to be) in place for purchasing a ticket out of a machine.

It appears then whoever she was speaking at whichever network wasn't very helpful.

And I doubt anyone's going to be that stuck that they spend they're last tenner on phone credit!!!

Because they are big enough, and make enough money to absorb the extra cost, while a lot of small shops couldnt.

Thats why.

So what?

If it's a case they do it at an ATM it's easily fixed. Should be something (there has to be) in place for purchasing a ticket out of a machine.

It appears then whoever she was speaking at whichever network wasn't very helpful.

And I doubt anyone's going to be that stuck that they spend they're last tenner on phone credit!!!

You misunderstand.

Its a standalone machine as you see in pubs and some shops.

Its not an ATM. It sells phone credit and only phone credit.

The premises may get something for having it there but they have nothing to do with it. Its an outside company like vending machines.

The lady bought the wrong network and was stuck with it. But she had some cheek asking ME to fix it.

• Advertisement

So what?

Very intelligent post there. Shows a lot about your reasoning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement