Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palace Barracks

Options
  • 05-03-2010 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Just back from my first trip to Belfast - will most definitely be back, I absolutely loved it there, great city and everyone was so helpful and friendly.

One evening taking a random spin around the place we passed by the Palace Barracks - I was just wondering what exactly this place is still being used for?

A quick bit of googling suggests that the M15 are now based there, is that true?

There appeared to be a lot of houses inside the barbed wire enclosure - do people live there?

Sorry for all the ignorance, but this spot really intrigued me and would like to hear more about it.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

You'd still have Navy and Marine personnel living there. There's probably recruitment and enlisting services running out of there as well I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Soil Mechanic

Palace Barracks was, is & in alll likelihood will be one of the main MOD bases in NI for quite some time.

It's one of the legacy resident infantry Battalion (600+) bases, together with married quarters as well as certain attached support units.
    Thats what all the housing is & yes it's still used. This is arguably one of the main reasons for the audible moaning, wailing & knashing of teeth you hear from the place!
    Has everything you would expect at a working military base e.g. various Firing ranges, obstacle courses, Hanger/workshops etc.
    Nothing special really.

In addition, there's a new, small Royal Marine Reserve unit, and a seperate entire TA Logistics Regiment (400+, but only Part-time.)

In terms of ancillary services there's a military recruiting office with staff, the BFBS Broadcast studio & a whole host of MOD civilian staff.

The site facilities are also used by the PSNI for various courses (mainly weapons & tactics AFAIK)

It also houses an MI5 sneeky-beaky support base & data-base backup centre (supposedly the primary 'Fallback Facility' for an emergency contingency situation, apparently has the office & computer storage capacity for up to up to 500 staff...)
    But you didn't hear it from me, right?:D

Also has Kinnegar Barracks the other side of the road, which is the main Logistics & Heavy Workshop Facility base for the North, which also houses a resident full-time Logistics Regiment (again 400+) and a large number of MOD civilian staff.

Quite a large local employer. Hope thats satisfies your intrigue. Alll open source BTW.

SM

Advertisement