Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spire on O'Connell Street

Options
  • 05-03-2010 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

What do you think the Spire resembles most?

What do you think the Spire resembles the most 75 votes

A giant knitting needle
    0% 0 votes
    An umbrella shaft
    24% 18 votes
    A toothpick
    1% 1 vote
    A masonry nail
    2% 2 votes
    A chimney sweeping rod
    5% 4 votes
    All of the above
    0% 0 votes
    None of the about
    5% 4 votes
    A big mac
    50% 38 votes
    Hypodermic needle (Syringe)
    10% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What do you think the Spire resembles most?

A Big metal spike with lights on the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Giblet wrote: »
    A Big metal spike with lights on the top.

I voted 'none of the above',as Giblet said,it looks like a big spike with lights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Op had you put in a syringe as an option the northsider's would have had something to vote one!.

*edit, I gave the northisders an option :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree a big spike with lights.
    Come on ...own up, who said a Big Mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

I see a butterfly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

For a city with a heroin problem, it was meant to be ironic I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

You're wrong! I'll have you know I never have any problem getting heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

You're wrong! I'll have you know I never have any problem getting heroin.

Whoops, I meant symbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

...a spire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

a penis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

karlog wrote: »
    a penis

You mean Metal Mickey?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I remember it had just opened and they had a report on the BBC interviewing the locals, one of the interviews went something like this,

Interviewer: So, what do you think of the New Spire?

Local (Ridiculously stereotypical Dublin accent): Sure wouldn't it be great if they stuck a restaurant on top, you know, it'd be great, you could go up there and eat'n'all...

Have to say I cringed to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

which city, or even town doesnt have one?

I was thinking about this yesterday, its the spear that killed the celtic tiger

why wasnt their a public vote? is it art? is art not for the people? its our capital city, why werent we asked? maybe even a competition in schools to come up with a design. I hope someday they take it down and melt it then rebuild it with a better design/vision. I have no problem with the guy who designed it, its not is fault, or maybe it is

it would have been more interesting if they had it leaning at an angle, like it was gonna fall over

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

karlog wrote: »
    a penis

I'd go see a doctor if I were you, or a wellman clinic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Don't think it really reminds me of anything, but i think they could have but something better there. a fountain or something would have been more interesting even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

It kinda looks like a metal pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

why werent we asked? maybe even a competition in schools to come up with a design
    There was an international competition to come up with something to replace Nelson's Pillar. Why didn't you enter if you feel so strongly about it? Or are you one of those fence sitters why complain about everything but won't get up of their arse to do anything about it, ....complain about the government but don't vote etc......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

There was an international competition to come up with something to replace Nelson's Pillar. Why didn't you enter if you feel so strongly about it? Or are you one of those fence sitters why complain about everything but won't get up of their arse to do anything about it, ....complain about the government but don't vote etc......

http://rlv.zcache.com/angry_kitty_poster-p228598536141232563t5ta_400.jpg

There was an international competition to come up with something to replace Nelson's Pillar. Why didn't you enter if you feel so strongly about it?

Didnt hear about the competition, only moved up to Dublin last Summer, tho I lived in Tallaght for the first 12yrs of my life.

• Advertisement

by competition do you mean a tender decided by a bunch of Council/government fatcats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

da stilletto in da ghetto

It was supposed to be temporary and moved to the Phoenix Park by now but I think too many tourists come to see it now so it will be left there for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It looks like a soulless brand logo, which is what it is. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

A big mac

nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

da stilletto in da ghetto

It was supposed to be temporary and moved to the Phoenix Park by now but I think too many tourists come to see it now so it will be left there for good.

tourists come specifically to see the spire !!! C'mon ....which government dept did you get that information from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't suppose the IRA would come back and blow that POS up for us as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

I thought it was meant to represent Irelands booming economy, with the huge spike in terms of our wealth as a nation. I suppose its pretty accurate too because we then came crashing back down the other side as quickly as we went up. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Anything would have been better. A giant stone cross or round tower, something Celtic.

Nevore wrote: »
    Anything would have been better. A giant stone cross or round tower, something Celtic.
    Maybe a giant leprechaun so!:rolleyes: Would that be Irish enough?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Honestly? Yes. That's how bad the Spire is.

Advertisement