Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spire on O'Connell Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Ah, the old Spire discussion. I like it and I'm not just playin Devil's Advocate. Come on, there has to be more like me out there

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Collie D wrote: »
    Ah, the old Spire discussion. I like it and I'm not just playin Devil's Advocate. Come on, there has to be more like me out there
    I don't see anything wrong with it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

PCPhoto wrote: »
    tourists come specifically to see the spire !!! C'mon ....which government dept did you get that information from ?

I am not saying that tourists just come to Ireland because of it, but stand around it for 10 minutes and count how many tourists are there taking photos. It's madness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'm with Giblet - it looks like a big metal spike with lights on top. And yet I have come to like it over the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

why wasnt their a public vote? is it art? is art not for the people? its our capital city, why werent we asked?

No way. I don't trust my fellow country men and women to make any good decisions when it comes to voting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Op had you put in a syringe as an option the northsider's would have had something to vote one!.

*edit, I gave the northisders an option :D

Thanks, I like what you did with the brackets too. Any chance you could change "none of the above" to UFO? My first poll so I didn't know you could not edit it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

I like the Spire, but I still think they should have rebuilt Nelson's Pillar. Letting your city's design be altered by a couple of lampjawed morons with a crate of gelignite is just weak.

Does anyone know why the base of the spire is a different colour, and what that squiggly design is supposed to be? It looks terrible, I think, as if someone had pulled off a roll of adhesive tape and removed big flakes of the original.

I've heard that this part of the design was imposed on the architect by the city planners, but I don't know if that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

PCPhoto wrote: »
    tourists come specifically to see the spire !!! C'mon ....which government dept did you get that information from ?

I have a feeling fuelinjection might be one of those rare types of people like myself that uses their eyeballs to see and witness things. We don't rely on government departments or websites, but actually see things when we are out and about. Everytime I see the spire there are lots of tourists taking photos of it.

I like it. I like the fact that you can see it from loads of the suburbs, I like the fact that when you point it out people say "Jaysus, I thought that part of town would be over there!" I like that it's free standing and I often wonder will it be hit by lightning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I often wonder will it be hit by lightning.

I'm sure they've made sure that won't do any damage if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm sure they've made sure that won't do any damage if it does.

Never actually thought about ligtning..surely there is a hig chance it does get hit. As you say, they've more than likely made it safe but I dare you to stand against during a thunderstorm ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Does anyone know why the base of the spire is a different colour, and what that squiggly design is supposed to be? It looks terrible, I think, as if someone had pulled off a roll of adhesive tape and removed big flakes of the original.

I've heard that this part of the design was imposed on the architect by the city planners, but I don't know if that's true.

Isn't it a map of the world? ... I could be wrong... it happened once before

Also I like it (the spire that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

da stilletto in da ghetto

It was supposed to be temporary and moved to the Phoenix Park by now but I think too many tourists come to see it now so it will be left there for good.

This is a load of sh¡te.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Soul Cake Duck

I thought it the change in colour was the graffiti resistant surface but I suppose they would make the entire monument resistant...anyway this kind of explains it...

The base of the monument
    The Light Monument cone will pass through a 7 metre. diameter circular base of Kilkenny black marble. The change from white Wicklow granite to the black marble was made in order to better present reflections and the pulsed mercury, and to dive the monument a visually stronger base. We confirm the incorporation of a raised Celtic spiral machined into the marble surface. We propose that this spiral will be hand drawn and transferred as a template to the stonemasons. Mercury will be pulsed onto the surface of the marble from the perimeter, and will flow towards the cone. There will be five zones corresponding to the protective glass joints above the marble.

Anyway I’m a fan of the monument…ok it doesn’t have major significance or represent the Irish cultural, history or life but it might represent a step away from our previous nationalist and religious identity.

Link to Design Summary...interesting actually!!

http://ireland.archiseek.com/buildings_ireland/dublin/northcity/oconnell_street/spire_competition/design_summary.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Supercroc wrote: »

Anyway I’m a fan of the monument…ok it doesn’t have major significance or represent the Irish cultural, history or life but it might represent a step away from our previous nationalist and religious identity.

Link to Design Summary...interesting actually!!

http://ireland.archiseek.com/buildings_ireland/dublin/northcity/oconnell_street/spire_competition/design_summary.html

Why would we step away from our "nationalist" past and what does that spire represent that we are stepping towards? Some bland multicutural ideal where every city can be the same nowhereville? Previously we put up monument's on O'Connell street to O'Connell, larkin and Parnell. Now while those works might not all be to my taste at least they commemorate people who embodied worthwhile principals. What does the spire stand for other than corporate ****etalk about light and space? It's a marketing gimmick, nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Agree with this it looks terrible: as if some scumbag has been hacking away at it with a paint scraper.
    Apart from this, I like the Spire though. It looks impressive when coming up Henry St and takes your attention away from the general tattiness of that street.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

none of the about:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Don't tell the culchies, but we have an underground cathedral in Dublin and that's the spire above ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭tim0ney

I hear they're going to air-lift a gigantic club sandwich onto the spire next week.:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement