Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic questions

Options
  • 05-03-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if people could help me with some basic info with my journey with my new CZ 17. So far I have tried two different types of rounds:

1 Hornday Varmint Express 17gr.
    2 Hornady XTP 20gr.

The first has a polymer tip, my understanding is that this aids penetration and that the round then expands with the target meaning it its unlikely to exit. Am I correct in this.

The second has that tiny hole in the tip of the bullet. I know the is a debate here around using 17 round on foxes, I was told that the second type where excellent for foxes. They where all they had in the shop and the guy was saying he gets them especially for someone who uses them on foxes up to 200yrds. I know with it being 20gr its a more powerful round, but it there something else about it?

Could someone explain the difference between both these rounds please.

Secondly, I am comfortable enough taking the bolt out and cleaning the barrel, should I be doing anything to the bolt before I lock it away?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I can't answer both your questions, but the purpose of the polymer tip is not to aid penetrastion, but rather improve the ballistic flight of the bullet.

While it may aid better bullet performance on the animal shot with it, that is not it's original purpose.

Advertisement