Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel time formula

Options
  • 05-03-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,

I'm trying to convert a decimal time into hours and minutes in excel.

eg: 4.333 should read 4hrs 20 mins or 4.20; 1.5 should be 1:30 or 1 hr 30mins

Is this possible or any suggested work arounds?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214122

Seems to display the values as you want

• Registered Users Posts: 32 demijose

Use the Mod function mod(number,1). the result will be the decimal part of the number.
    =mod(number,1)

eg mod(1.333,1)= 0.33

take this result and multiply by 60 this will give you the minute part

=0.33 * 60 = 19.8 round it off to 19

then take the result from the mod function and subtract from the original number you get the hours.
    = 1 - mod(1.333,1)
    = 1

concatenate the two result using & operator
    = cell reference for hour & "hours" & cell reference for minutes & "min"

hope u get this

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Excel stores times as days, so a value of 0.00 is midnight, 0.50 is midday, 1.00 is midnight one day later. 5.00 is midnight 5 days later! So if your units are anything other than days, you need to convert it to days and change the formatting
    Dacelonid wrote: »
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214122

Seems to display the values as you want
    I would go with this, although if its 4.333 minutes I would do the formula as 4.333/24/60 - that is 24 hours by 60 minutes as 1440 isn't the best known or most memorable number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jnoham

Hi what if I am trying to add up hours worked per week and the number is over 24hours.
    I'm currently using a formula =text(cell/24, "h.mm") which is giving me the result I want except if the total is over 24hours worked.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 semajnayr

If I understand what you are trying to do correctly I find the easiest trick is to divide by 0.041666667.

A1 = Start time (formatted HH:MM and entered as 16:30 for example 4.30pm)
    B1 = Finish time (formatted HH:MM and entered as 20:30 for example 8.30pm)
    C1 = B1-A1 equals hours worked (formatted HH:MM or 4:00)

However if you want to create a cost for this four hours at say 10 euro an hour you must first divide 4:00 by 0.041666667 and this will convert it into the numerical value 4. You can then multiply by 10 or perform other mathematical functions.

So, if you are trying to add up a roster for 5 days worked you should first get a daily hours worked (never over 24 hours) then divide as above, then sum the 5 days.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Just read again and you want to go from decimal to HH:MM so multiply instead of divide

Where are you getting 0.041666667 from?

Experience I guess, i don't think it's in any official excel help files. however i use it regularly as a method of converting hours and minutes to decimal numbers. have you tried it?

Hi - what I'm trying to do is add time worked

Example:
    5.30 + 4.23 + 2.13 = 11.66

11.66 = 11 hrs 39 mins
    using formula = text(cell/24, "h:mm")

BUT
    if we use the following example:
    15.92 + 18.88 + 3.18 = 37.98

using the above forumla we get the time as 13:58 which is incorrect - it should be 37 hrs 58 mins.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ah right

just change the formula you are using to

= text(cell/24, "[h]:mm")

forcing excel to count beyond 24 hours

• Advertisement

Excellent - I think that work - thanks for your help

Advertisement