Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural road maintenance

Options
  • 05-03-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, we live down an 'unadopted' road in rural Galway and the state of it is shocking. It is basically a road down into the local bog, the council surfaced it years ago but we are told that this was purely an act of goodwill on their part. During turf cutting season it is mainly used by tractors / turf cutters and the surface is well chewed up. I was always under the impression that it would not be fixed by the council as it is 'unadopted' but was told yesterday that the council should be obligated to repair it as there are two dwellings on it. The houses are around 200m from a maintained road through the village and any maintenance would only have to go that far and not the full couple of miles.

Does anyone know anything about this or where I can get clarification?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

I would get in touch with the Co.co. As far as I know if it's a public road they have to keep it in order. There is also a scheme for care of public roads (bog roads etc.) if you live in a Gaeltacht area. Get in touch with Roinnn na gaeltachta for more info on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hal14

Thanks for that Pops. Unfortunately the road is classed as 'Private' even though every farmer and his dog uses it through the summer. We are not in a gaeltacht area either unfortunately.

Advertisement