Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Basic for Final Year Project

Options
  • 05-03-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Just wondering of anyone can help me, I need to make a visual basic program for my final year project which is due in two weeks and I havent a clue.

Its basically a program which would allow a user to input data into boxes and from equations, the program will generate outputs??

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

this is way to vague before anyone could begin to help;

What do you have so far? What version of vb (VB.net I guess using Visual studio?).
    What course/experience do you have?
    What outputs?

give more details to stand a chance;

Also should prob be in dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

You have two weeks to complete your final year project and you don't even have the first idea how to go about prompting a user for inputs and generating some output?

I would tentatively suggest you speak to your supervisor or someone in your department to try and bash out some sort of specification you can actually complete. Final year projects don't necessarily have to contain much in the way of a concrete program; but it varies depending on the exact degree and institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

OP, What course are you doing? I just hope it isn't programming related course.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gmannix1000

its structural engineering, and its just a basic program but iv no idea how to do programming, its only to be done for added value work?!! can anyone help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Why Visual Basic? Didn't you do ANY kind of C/C++/Matlab?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gmannix1000

i wrote the program in dev c++ but my supervisor wants it to be more user friendly! with proper frames and proper boxes to input the data and stuff!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You can use GUIDE in MATLAB to make GUI's, although they're actually quite ugly compared to Visual Basic ones. MATLAB writes most of the code for you from the boxes/buttons you draw, and you just fill in the bits to actually do the work.

If the equations aren't that difficult, once you get the hang of VB you should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Relevant forum charter rules.

If you're down to two weeks, you could learn enough to kludge together something very rudimentary, but if it's only an added value project, I think you have to ask yourself coldly if it's worth the time and effort.

OTOH, if the program's working in c++, I'd say ignore the advice to rewrite it in VB and just do the user interface in c++ as well. There are several gui design tool in dev studio, and it'll be far faster to do the gui there and bolt it to your code than to learn a new language and redo from scratch. (Consider it a professional lesson in knowing how to spot when the boss is wrong and when to ignore him/her).

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

i wrote the program in dev c++ but my supervisor wants it to be more user friendly! with proper frames and proper boxes to input the data and stuff!

Your supervisor sounds very harsh, you are not doing a graphical design course after all.

A solution might be to convert your C++ code to a dll and write a GUI in VB to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Maybe the tutor doesn't understand C++?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

leahcim wrote: »
    A solution might be to convert your C++ code to a dll and write a GUI in VB to call it.

I think that might be a bit beyond a programming newbie...

OP, I would really question your supervisor on this. Doesn't seem necessary at all... Without knowing how complex your current code is, it's hard to give advice. But spend a few hours mucking about with VB and online tutorials. See if you start to get the hang of it, and gauge whether rewriting it in that language is feasible.

No harm doing some "add-on" stuff for your FYP but I'm surprised it isn't something to actually do with structural eng!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

First off my Man,

You need to Declare any inputs.

I.E if you have a text box as Enter_Name. it should be Declared as Dim Enter_Name As Integer,

Or else a pop up box, InputBpx("Please Enter your Name","Input")

if you want the user to see what he entered it should be Enter_Name = Cint(lblenter_name.text To String)

Advertisement