Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine flu vaccine

Options
  • 05-03-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

I havent heard much of the swine flu at all in recent months. I was not worried about getting the kids vaccinated at all, definite to do it, but it is only happening at their school on Monday. Do you guys think there is still a need for it? None of us have had it done at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Here's an excellent article by Jennifer O'Connell from the Sunday Business Post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

You'd need to maybe ring your GP up and discuss your individual case.

Personally I wouldn't unless they had an underlying health issue, but if that had been the case they'd have been vaccinated already :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It was said that it was being rolled out to all primary schools and we had notes home, but then it changed and we got a letter saying if we wanted it done to contact our local HSE health clinic and make an appointment there.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/swineflu/vaccine/
    Swine Flu Vaccine - It Stops with YOU

The Swine Flu Vaccination programme is now in its final phase, where Swine Flu vaccine is being made available to everyone through HSE Clinics nationwide. Anyone in the target risk groups who has not yet been vaccinated is advised to come to a HSE clinic for their vaccine before March 31st. In addition, any members of the general public who have not yet been offered vaccine may now come to a HSE clinic for swine flu vaccine. The vaccine is free of charge for everyone, and if you get the vaccine from your GP, you should not be charged any fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Mine got it few weeks ago. The eldest got the flu (presumably but not definitely swine) before xmas and was horribly sick with it. She wasn't in any danger with it but it was definitely the worst and most prolonged sickness she has ever had. At least now I know the youngest won't have to go through that.
    Between people being vaccinated or already having had it, it does seem to have gone quiet on the swine flu front but it is still there so I'm also happier to think that mine being vaccinated removes a link from the chain given that there are still people at risk.
    All that said... i haven't got it myself:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thanks guys, well the eldest is getting hers in school today. I just decided I might as well while its on offer but I'm just not sure about the youngest.

You see the eldest takes after me quite a good immune system, the youngest after my husband, they get sick all the time, both had that vomitting bug in the last few days but neither myself or the eldest had it. Considering the youngest comes down with things quite easily I probably should get it for her too I suppose, I just hadnt heard of anyone getting it at all recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I got it there a few weeks ago at the same time I was getting my daughter done. Figured I may as well. It's free and might stop me getting a nasty flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My daughter ended up off school today after the jab. She was complaining of pain in her arm and was very out of sorts. I decided to allow her the day off as she doesnt often miss school and being sensitive anyway, she was quite weepy and down on herself. It didnt help that other kids were making fun of her yesterday for bringing her cuddly toy in with her to get her injection I suppose.

Just thought I'd let others know though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Yeah my son was sore after his and a bit grumpy but I'm not nearly as sympathetic as you and I sent him to school anyway :o I reckoned it would distract him from his misery and he was right as rain by the time he got home. My daughter was fine and not sore at all after hers.

Advertisement