Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1gb Network Adapter?

• 05-03-2010 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hey guys I have just been wondering something. My college upgraded their network to 1gbs recently. On my laptop my network card is limited to 100mbs, so is there some kind of network adapter I could get to use the new speeds? Would my internet and download speeds even be that much faster?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

To be fairly honest, I doubt many websites can provide anything near 1Gb speeds (Aka 100MB per second). That said though, gigabit network adapters are cheap enough.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Gigabit-Network-Ethernet-PCMCIA-Laptop-Card-10-100-1000_W0QQitemZ300397566859QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item45f1171b8b

I know there are ones that run via USB but they are almost useless as USB ports run at a maximum of 480MB/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

TheRiddler wrote: »
    Hey guys I have just been wondering something. My college upgraded their network to 1gbs recently. On my laptop my network card is limited to 100mbs, so is there some kind of network adapter I could get to use the new speeds? Would my internet and download speeds even be that much faster?

No point, the speed of the broadband connection would be limit. Have they more than 100mbit broadband? :D

The reason the college upgraded to gigabit is that it allows pc's and servers on the network to talk to each other and transfer info much faster, the hard drives being the limit in most cases, but it gives no gains when You're just taking to the outside world

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No point, the speed of the broadband connection would be limit. Have they more than 100mbit broadband? :D
    The college most likely has 1Gbit connection to the HEAnet backbone. That said, I doubt they have 1Gbit to the desktop, more likely 1Gbit to the comms room.

http://www.hea.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Jonathan wrote: »
    The college most likely has 1Gbit connection to the HEAnet backbone. That said, I doubt they have 1Gbit to the desktop, more likely 1Gbit to the comms room.

http://www.hea.net/

Aren't most schools and colleges served by licenced links not fiber, and loads are even still on satellite

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

To be fairly honest, I doubt many websites can provide anything near 1Gb speeds (Aka 100MB per second). That said though, gigabit network adapters are cheap enough.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Gigabit-Network-Ethernet-PCMCIA-Laptop-Card-10-100-1000_W0QQitemZ300397566859QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item45f1171b8b

I know there are ones that run via USB but they are almost useless as USB ports run at a maximum of 480MB/s

If the laptop is fairly recent you may need an express card format rather than a pcmcia if you do decide to upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭buffalo

TheRiddler wrote: »

I can confirm what's said above - the college will be receiving 1Gbit to their comms room. It won't filter down to the user really, unless the college had been suffering from a congested link. If you're downloading something from ftp.heanet.ie, you might see a difference, but your average website will load in about the same speed.

Advertisement