Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting 2nd WHV with no regional work

Options
  • 05-03-2010 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

My boyfriend and I were on a WHV last year and had to come home unexpectedly just when we were about to start our regional work as we hoped to get a 2nd yr visa.

Our 1 yr WHV runs out mid march and we really want to go back to Oz, i cant seem to find any way that we can get back over there to work without having completed regional work...:(

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Get over there immediately and start work on the farm, ring them and switch to a bridging visa while youre doing it, and apply on the last day.

Note.. THEORY only.

But a bridging visa would be the only way to do it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

they normally only give out bridging visas on SOL ENSOL or 457 visas, call immi.gov.au and ask straight up what the situation is, but travel insurance does not extend to visa related calamity's and immi are normally pretty unsympathetic with regards to WH visas. In the past fortnight over a dozen Irish backpackers coming out to start their 2nd year were turned back because they used fake ABN numbers for farm work they never completed, so don't expect much sympathy. Its pretty harsh, but thems the breaks. If you had contacted Immigration when you had to leave oz, they might have been able to arrange something, but I doubt they'd be arsed. Post up and let us know how you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 niamh19841

Didn't realise immigration were still investigating the whole scam thing thought it they were only catching those who were returning after Christmas, knowing they'd catch a lot of people. Wonder will they keep it up??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

niamh19841 wrote: »
    Didn't realise immigration were still investigating the whole scam thing thought it they were only catching those who were returning after Christmas, knowing they'd catch a lot of people. Wonder will they keep it up??

One of my mates came back on a 2nd year visa last week but got refused entry because he hadn't done enough regional work so it looks like they are going to keep it up.

OP you would not be able to get a bridging visa to do your regional work and this really the only way to get a 2nd year visa. your only way to get back to ASustralia is to apply for one of the skilled visas or state sponsorship but you're in for a long wait...possibly until 2012 depending on your skills/qualifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP there is no way of doing what you suggest without being sponsored by an employee. If you go the illegal route you'll be caught and deported. The Irish are singled out for this in Australia because we hate sticking to the rules. Funnily enough if we only stuck to the rules in Ireland we'd have a far better country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PS_its_shells

Thanks for the replies guys!

Angryhippie, i tried the 'call immi.gov.au ' route when we left, and as you guessed they were pretty unsympathetic, because we still had 6 months visa when we left the basically said, 'get back before it runs and do the regional work!'. Unfortunately this was not something we were able to do!

I have heard a lot about the fake ABN, friends on mine in Oz have used it and are still there, TBH it is not a risk i would take. I have heard about a lot of people being deported and it is giving the Irish a bad name over there!

However i do still plan to keep hammering away and hopefully i will get there eventually!

I'll let you know how i get on! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bubbles86

it seems that people who got deported for the second year visa fraud where trying to return to the country. if they had not left they might have been ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

They'd still have been illegal, just onshore.

Dont worry tho once they get through the clampdown of Fake WHV2's they will most likely move on to the Overstayers/Illegals, but you can take it as read that f you dont have 88 Legitimate Days work in Rural Australia You Will NOT Be getting a WHV2

Advertisement