Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Level Maths suggested by teacher for average grades

Options
  • 05-03-2010 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

My younger cousin is doing his Leaving Cert this year. He is doing 4 honours subjects and 3 pass(Biology, Maths and Irish) He has been getting 35-50% in maths in the last 2 years and the teacher has suggested that he do Foundation level. He is doing grinds in Maths twice outside school since Feb and my Aunt is wondering can the school force him to drop down or just suggest so and he can stay if he wishes.

If there is any official documentation online for this that would be helpful though I suspect it is a matter of opinion on behalf of the school.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

not really sure on any official line, but the student fills out the form that is sent into the department of education, generally through the school, and he is free to put down whatever level in whatever subject he wants. the school can only guide him on suggested levels, and they generally do this, mainly so they can't be accused of negligence etc, but most teachers will suggest a level out of decency and a will to see the students pass the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

No, they cannot force him to drop down. Chances are he has already signed for his levels (he can stil drop on the day) but the school cannot force him into foundation maths, or remove him from the ordinary maths class, they can suggest it all they like, but they cannot force him, it comes under his right to an education, had the same problem with my own cousin two years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Nobody can force your cousin to do anything. It is student's decision on what level they take for LC.

Teachers only advise their students on what level they take. He should wait til he gets mock results back before considering changing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

I will give her a call so, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I am actually shocked that a teacher is suggesting someone do Foundation Maths when they are getting 35-50% in the past two years. I am doing Foundation Maths and I failed the majority of my Ordinary tests badly but the big issue with Foundation Maths is that you have to be very careful when picking courses for your CAO because a majority don't accept Foundation Maths. I am in the very fortunate position that the courses in the area I want to do don't require Maths and accept Foundation Maths.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

35%-50% is a pass OL level student.

Foundation would be more for people who struggle to get 35% on an Ordinary Level paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PhosphoricAcid

Is there a huge difference between Foundation and Ordinary?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Massive difference. Not only in difficulty but in value.

A foundation maths paper is essentially worthless for points (An A1 is 10 points afaik) and it's not accepted in most universities to begin with.

Yes there is a big difference. No theorms, no options questions at the end of paper 2, it is worded easier aswell.

A1 is worth 20 points. You should check qualifax if you decide to drop because choice of course can be limited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 infinite123

Def don't drop down to foundation.. it's not worth anything!!

I hate that when teachers take that lousy attitude! :-(

And no way can they force someone down... you could take them to court if they did!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Dont drop down, its not worth a damn.

And employers dont view foundation level knowledge of mathematical concept as being much use ((John has two apples and eats one. How many apples does John have now?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 infinite123

sesna wrote: »

And employers dont view foundation level knowledge of mathematical concept as being much use ((John has two apples and eats one. How many apples does John have now?)

....ouch! :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

in my school,one of the ordanairy class was told and messages sent to parents telling their parents that they should do foundation level,the highest in their class was 37% soooo the teacher has no right but i do understand bec no one had tired their best,left qs blank etc

Def don't drop down to foundation.. it's not worth anything!!

An A1 is worth the same than a D1 in Ordinary. If you can't do Ordinary level maths that well than it is a good alternative providing your course does accept foundation maths.

Yes, it is see my previous posts.

If someone has a degree in Law the employers are not going to see what level maths he did in the LC. Also Foundation maths isn't an easy A1 for people that suspect it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ayumi wrote: »
    in my school,one of the ordanairy class was told and messages sent to parents telling their parents that they should do foundation level,the highest in their class was 37% soooo the teacher has no right but i do understand bec no one had tired their best,left qs blank etc

If they got 37% leaving out a question, they should stick with ordinary.

Advertisement