Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is in the wrong here?

Options
  • 05-03-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I recently had to get a replacement motor tax disc.
    To get one, i was told to send on 6 euro to my local tax office (with the relevant form).

So i popped a 5 euro note and a 1 euro coin in an envelope and send it off.

They send the tax disc out to me (fair enough) but with a note saying they only got 5 euro, and i owe them 1 euro.
    FFS.

OK it's only a euro- but they obviously misplaced the rest and i feel annoyed that i have to pay/be hassled for someone else's incompetence/inability to count.

Anyway, just wondering:
    Since they accepted that i could send it on, but didn't specify how i should pay it (cash, postal order, cheque etc)- who is in the wrong?

BTW registering the post is only of use if an post lost it (which they didn't because the letter reached them).

OK, admittedly this is trivial but it is annoying, and i'm interested in the rights and wrongs of it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

If all you did was pop it in an envolope then its your fault.

At the very least I'd have put the euro and the note in a freezer ziplock bag (or similar) before putting them in the envolope, because coins fall out of envolopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mkennedy wrote: »
    OK, admittedly this is trivial but it is annoying, and i'm interested in the rights and wrongs of it.
    Thanks.

You are wrong, and you should have sent a cheque or postal order. Either that or go into a tax office, and pay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

jor el wrote: »
    You are wrong, and you should have sent a cheque or postal order. Either that or go into a tax office, and pay there.

Ok fair enough.
    But they said they were happy accepting cash/cheque/etc by post and didn't say i had to come in to them.
    (incidentally posting payment on was the only possibility for me).

BTW, re. a postal order:
    if receipt of a postal order was denied (even though a letter with a postal order arrived there), would i have any comeback with that:
    Can you cancel a postal order if it isn't cashed at the other end.

Conversely, i take it cashing of a postal order is proof of payment?
    And that there isn't a delay with a postal order- ie once it's received (not cashed at the PO) they send the tax disc on.

Obviously i would've avoided this with a cheque, because you can cancel it if the recipient denies receipt/it gets lost/stolen etc, but i didnt want to be waiting up to 5 days for it to clear (+1 day for postage) before getting the disc back.

So the moral is (?):
    Don't send cash (no matter how small) as the recipient can always deny receipt (even if received).

Cashing of a postal order is traceable (and evidence of payment?).
    Denial of receipt of postal order (even if received) means you can cancel the Postal Order (?).

Cheque is best (?): traceable, cancellable (on non-receipt) but with significant delay.

And the onus is on the sender to prove receipt of payment (even if denied by recipent) even if recipient accepts all types of payment. (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Have you checked with An Post. If the coin was loose in the envelope it most likely was forced out of by their sorting machinery. They might be keeping it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Have you checked with An Post. If the coin was loose in the envelope it most likely was forced out of by their sorting machinery. They might be keeping it for you.

LOL.
    You taking the piss. :D
    Nah it's just i'm pissed off having to send it again.
    Cheers btw if you're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Course I'm taking the piss, good to see you taking it in good heart. I was going to suggest you get a solicitor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cash in untraceable so you should never really send it in the post. Always use a credit card, cheque or another traceable means of payment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

LOL.
    You taking the piss. :D
    Nah it's just i'm pissed off having to send it again.
    Cheers btw if you're not.

This time use sticky backed plastic to hold it to the letter so it can't fall out.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

you should have written a check for 6 euro, but now you are screwed because you now have to write a check for 1 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

Don't bother your arse giving them €1 feck them! Enjoy your tax disc, you should feel pure excitment, getting one over on them HA! GO YOU!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

Jez what age are you OP? My one hate is stupid people doing stupid things then blaming someone else for the mistake. Everybody knows you DONT sent cash in the post, coins in particular as it draws attention to the envelope. Torn edge going through the sorting machine and you loose your coins. Registered post for cash otherwise cheque or PO for small amounts. As for Oh they didnt say how to pay BS either pay it or dont... your choice but stop making a big deal over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who the fúck sends coins in an envelope!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

good God... It's €1. You got your tax disc.
    Accept that you should not have sent coins in the post and deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Magenta wrote: »
    Accept that you should not have sent coins in the post and deal with it.

If the OP should by right pay them the missing Euro as they will have this on record.

If he forewards them a €5 note they will return the correct change. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the OP should by right pay them the missing Euro as they will have this on record.

If he forewards them a €5 note they will return the correct change. :p

They'll send a cheque and if the OP doesn't cash it they will never have to tax their car again or am I getting confused?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Del2005 wrote: »
    They'll send a cheque and if the OP doesn't cash it they will never have to tax their car again or am I getting confused?:D

They'll just cut 80% off the €5 note and send that to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Who the fúck sends coins in an envelope!?!
    maybe he got confused with his church collection envelope! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I recently had to get a replacement motor tax disc.
    To get one, i was told to send on 6 euro to my local tax office (with the relevant form).

So i popped a 5 euro note and a 1 euro coin in an envelope and send it off.

They send the tax disc out to me (fair enough) but with a note saying they only got 5 euro, and i owe them 1 euro.
    FFS.

OK it's only a euro- but they obviously misplaced the rest and i feel annoyed that i have to pay/be hassled for someone else's incompetence/inability to count.

Anyway, just wondering:
    Since they accepted that i could send it on, but didn't specify how i should pay it (cash, postal order, cheque etc)- who is in the wrong?

BTW registering the post is only of use if an post lost it (which they didn't because the letter reached them).

Thanks.

I don't think either of you are at fault, I would blame the current government, everything that goes wrong in this country is their fault.

I would advice you contact your local TD and ask them to reinstate the old euro note, show them what happened as a result of their having withdrawn it in the first place.

If you get no joy from your local TD I think you should take the case to the european court of human rights citing the fact that your civil liberties have been infringed upon.

I think you would get fantastic support from all member states to have a 1 euro note in circulation.
    It is a major problem that you can't put coins into an envelope, now all over europe people that donate via an unmarked envelope have no option but to spend a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

From reading this forum it appears that the English have awful customer service skills and will cheat, lie and steal to get your money.
    Irish staff and retailers, however, are the living saints of our time.
    We can only conclude that it must have been one of those damn Brits who works in the motor tax office and processed your tax that day!!! They must have stolen the euro for themselves!!! They're always up to no good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I think we should revert to the old Pound note!!

Problem solved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Magenta wrote: »
    They must have stolen the euro for themselves!!! They're always up to no good!!!

Ah come on, they probably just borrowed it for their supermarket trolly.

Advertisement