Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N95 8GB - What next?

Options
  • 05-03-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so i've had my Nokia N95 8GB for a fairly long while now, I know it still wipes the floor with a lot of the phones out now despite being a 3 year old model but i've been wanting to upgrade for a good while now.

Basically here's the breakdown of what I'm trying to find

A phone that has at least 8GB of internal storage
    Has plenty of applications available (Don't really care about twitter, facebook widgets and the like though)
    A camera that's either the same or better than the N95's camera

I'm on bill pay and have no qualms signing a new contract so long as I amn't forced to choose a special "smartphone tariff" that starts from €35 per month.

How much do you think a pretty good condition N95 8GB with box would sell for?

Basically i'm looking for a phone that's equal or less to the value of my old phone + €40 or so.

So if my phone is €180, my max budget is €220.

So Tl;Dr version is:

What phone is a good step up from an N95 8GB that costs less than €220 (On billpay with a low tariff).

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

SE W995

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Pacifico wrote: »
    SE W995
    Should have mentioned I hate the OS that sony ericsson use and that I hate phones with small screens. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

N97

gcgirl wrote: »
    N97
    I've been thinking about getting that too but I can't find it for sale anywhere for less than €220 on a regular tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

I've been thinking about getting that too but I can't find it for sale anywhere for less than €220 on a regular tariff.

It's garbage anyway. Could you not get an iPhone in your price range?

• Advertisement

PH4T wrote: »
    It's garbage anyway. Could you not get an iPhone in your price range?
    I had an iPhone (2G) before I got my N95 and I thought it was absolute garbage. The camera was abysmal, the phone itself looked pretty and so did the OS but I hated everything else about the phone.

What's so bad at the N97 btw? Haven't used one so have no idea how it fares.

What's so bad at the N97 btw? Haven't used one so have no idea how it fares.

It's horrendous. Terrible software and not enough RAM so the rest of the good specs are wasted.

I went from the N95-8GB to the N97 and was very frustrated with it. Chnaged to a Nexus One recently but that doesn't sound like it would be your cup of tea.

If camera is important to you, how about the N86 that has an 8MB camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Im in the exact same boat myself, just after selling my N95 8gb looking to upgrade. It was a great phone but the only two things that frustrated me was the slow transfer speed when adding music and video etc.

Then you had the gallery taking forever to open. They were the dealbreakers for me. Will be following this thread closely see if anyone has a great recommendation, I'll take them up on it;)

donmeister wrote: »
    Im in the exact same boat myself, just after selling my N95 8gb looking to upgrade. It was a great phone but the only two things that frustrated me was the slow transfer speed when adding music and video etc.

Then you had the gallery taking forever to open. They were the dealbreakers for me. Will be following this thread closely see if anyone has a great recommendation, I'll take them up on it;)
    I agree with you 100% there, USB 1.0 and the slow gallery were real negative points for the phone. Probably the only two negatives really.

I've thought about the N86 but tbh it's not really all that different from the N95 8GB besides the camera of course which isn't something I really use all THAT much.

The n900 seems fairly good but the price....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Went from an N95 to a HTC hero myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I got a free n97. I sold it after about 4 days usage and kept to my n95 8gb. My n95 then went bust. I bought a second hand one..

I don't think there's anything out there that truely beats it at the moment and so I'm still with the n95 8gb.

Random wrote: »
    I got a free n97. I sold it after about 4 days usage and kept to my n95 8gb. My n95 then went bust. I bought a second hand one..

I don't think there's anything out there that truely beats it at the moment and so I'm still with the n95 8gb.
    It truly is a great phone but i'm getting fairly bored with it now. The n900 does look like a worthy successor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't sell the n95 8gb until you're 100% happy with the new one !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Random wrote: »
    Don't sell the n95 8gb until you're 100% happy with the new one !

Was about to say the same. The n95 is still an incredible phone imo. The amount of people that want to hold on to them, get things fixed on them rather than update to a different model. Only yesterday i was talking to a chap that wanted the ribbon replaced in it. He had moved to a 5800, but wants to go back to the n95 now

It truly is a great phone but i'm getting fairly bored with it now. The n900 does look like a worthy successor though.

Dunno, the N900 is kinda lame for a new smart phone. Specs are too low for the money, crappy resistive touch screen, 600Mhz processor etc

People aren't going to be using that in 3 years time the way the are now with the N95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

went from the n95 8gig to the N97, loving the N97, I use it alot and very rarely have any problems with it. I sometimes have a few apps open at the same time. It slows down a little but so did my n95. Love me phone.

Davy wrote: »
    Was about to say the same. The n95 is still an incredible phone imo. The amount of people that want to hold on to them, get things fixed on them rather than update to a different model. Only yesterday i was talking to a chap that wanted the ribbon replaced in it. He had moved to a 5800, but wants to go back to the n95 now
    Why would anyone buy a 5800 when they have an N95 :eek:

So i'm still undecided really, whether to upgrade to a N97/N900 or to stick with my N95 for a while or should I consider other phones.

So i'm still undecided really, whether to upgrade to a N97/N900 or to stick with my N95 for a while or should I consider other phones.

I would say don't get a Nokia. They are a hardware company and can't compete in the new world of software being the key. Symbian is terrible. Mameo is better but it's never gonna have the support Apple and Android have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What about the x6. I don't know what network you are on but it is cheap on the vodaphone upgrade. o2 are supposedly getting it at some stage too.

Also, I don't know how "good" it is compared to the n95, but it might be worth a look if you wanted a change without going too far os wise.

Very tempted to upgrade my n82 to a n900 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There are plenty of great new phones, but you have ruled them all out by declaring you want a great smartphone at a feature phone price. You get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 danmcmie

Symbian is not such a bad OS. Although is has lost some ground to the iphone and android, its still alot better than most other phone OS's plus it has recently gone open source so we should see some great apps coming out for it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The n95 broke, and he thought it would have cost to much to fix it. Now he wants to go back to the n95 as it can be fixed cheaply enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I know someone who had a N95 and upgraded to a HTC HD2 and have never looked back, fantastic phone and well worth it. 199 Euro with O2 Billpay.

The HD2 looks excellent actually. But it's out of stock with o2 at the moment. Seems a fair bit better than the N97 specs wise.

The HD2 looks excellent actually. But it's out of stock with o2 at the moment. Seems a fair bit better than the N97 specs wise.

Unfortunately running the only operating system worse than Symbian, WinMo 6.5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

PH4T wrote: »
    Unfortunately running the only operating system worse than Symbian, WinMo 6.5.

I don't agree with that at all, It is really quite good, HTC sense is excellent on making WinMo loook great :D

HD2 is absolutely brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭remotesensor

What about the E72? Much better than the N95 in comparison, very fast and responsive and less of a brick too.

What about the E72? Much better than the N95 in comparison, very fast and responsive and less of a brick too.
    It's a fairly ugly looking business phone, it's a step down from an N95 really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭remotesensor

It's a fairly ugly looking business phone, it's a step down from an N95 really.

Each to their own, I had an N95 8Gb and found it to be very disappointing. It was quite slow and unresponsive and the size was awkward. The E72 just seems to be miles ahead in terms of internet, emails, responsiveness, buttons and battery life. Woeful battery in the N95.

I wasn't disappointed at all with the E72 when I got it.

Oh, and the N97 is awful. I seriously wouldn't go near that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Ok so i've had my Nokia N95 8GB for a fairly long while now, I know it still wipes the floor with a lot of the phones out now despite being a 3 year old model but i've been wanting to upgrade for a good while now.
    So if my phone is €180, my max budget is €220.
    What phone is a good step up from an N95 8GB that costs less than €220 (On billpay with a low tariff).

Thanks.

IIRC the N95, or the N95 8GB weren't available for 220 or less, on a low tariff contract until quite some time after they launched.

Really, i don't think any network is going to offer you a modern equivalent based on the criteria you stipulated.

If i'm wrong, some please correct me.

Although there were some teething problems, the N95 8GB was possibly the best phone i ever had.. and it was followed by an N97 which is possibly the worst.

Advertisement