Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N95 8GB - What next?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pkeno

Maybe try the N97 mini? I haven't tried it but apparently it doesn't suffer the memory issues that the N97 does

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I say go with a HTC HD2. I'm waiting on mine to arrive any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Boxfresh wrote: »
    I say go with a HTC HD2. I'm waiting on mine to arrive any day now.

If you are upping your budget, go for the Nexus One.

After a month or so with the Nexus One I'd say it is the best phone I've ever had.

I got an N97 even after reading loads of bad reviews due to my loyalty to Nokia after being so happy with the N95. Big mistake. Terrible.

I don't know much about the HD2 but it runs WinMo 6.5 which gets slated all the time in reviews. In most cases, software is more important than hardware nowadays. Windows Phone 7 looks good but that's not out for ages AFAIK.

Android all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

On the budget u have - what about the blackberry 8520. Granted the monthly cost is a bit higher than your budget but you'd save on the upfront fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I've also had the N95 for several years and absolutely loved it, wanted to upgrade to something with a bigger higher-res screen but there was nothing appealing. The N900 looked best but has a dearth of gps apps which are what I mostly use, other than that I'd get one like a shot.

So I finally had to bite my words and bought a 2ndhand N97 after slaggin it off since before they were even released. I think the specs are pathetic, obsolete before it was even in the shops, but you know what, I'm really liking it! It does all the N95 does, plus the higher-res screen, extra storage and fm transmitter are brilliant.

If you just want loads of apps perhaps Android or something might better suit, if you want a huge high-res screen a Hd2, or even better, an N900 as that comes with freedom too ;-) But being able to run all my old N95 apps on that higher-res screen is good enough for me.

I had the latest f/w and ramblow installed within two hours and have had no issues with speed or ram, and I have it fully hacked with effects etc and it's pretty sweet.

The camera might still be only 5mp but mp count isn't all that matters, I've been getting some superb photos out of it, slightly better than the N95 I think.
    If the N900 had Ovi Maps 3 and Viewranger I'd have one tmrw (drools at thought of linux, gpu and even higher res) but right now the N97 is doing a great job for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I am in the same boat and have been offered N97 mini or HTC hero? I have always had nokias in the past- N97 mini slightly more expensive to buy but not too bothered. Which would you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have been looking to upgrade my nokia n95 over a year now and literally nothing has tempted me.

The nexus one is something I will be interested in.

But that nokia phone with the keyboard buttons on it, is pretty nifty too.

Unfortunately meteor shafted me with a bill tariff transfer and nicked my upgrade option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

PH4T wrote: »
    If you are upping your budget, go for the Nexus One.

After a month or so with the Nexus One I'd say it is the best phone I've ever had.

I got an N97 even after reading loads of bad reviews due to my loyalty to Nokia after being so happy with the N95. Big mistake. Terrible.

I don't know much about the HD2 but it runs WinMo 6.5 which gets slated all the time in reviews. In most cases, software is more important than hardware nowadays. Windows Phone 7 looks good but that's not out for ages AFAIK.

Android all the way!

The HD2 is a quality phone, I have had no issues with WinMo and you can get so many applications and games etc. The touchscreen is brilliant on this and the size of the screen is just WOW.. I would never be without it now. Absolutely brilliant phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

TheDoc wrote: »
    Have been looking to upgrade my nokia n95 over a year now and literally nothing has tempted me.

The nexus one is something I will be interested in.

But that nokia phone with the keyboard buttons on it, is pretty nifty too.

Unfortunately meteor shafted me with a bill tariff transfer and nicked my upgrade option.

Just ring Meteor and tell them you are looking to change Network - I just got a N97 mini even though I rang them and I said I saw their ad about them for €49 when I was put through to the shop they said I hear you are thinking of moving network (had not mentioned it) - anyway got a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I am in the same boat and have been offered N97 mini or HTC hero? I have always had nokias in the past- N97 mini slightly more expensive to buy but not too bothered. Which would you go for?

The Hero is arguably more fun

The N97 mini is a fine device and has just had a price drop on Meteor
    It's a nice choice.

Reckon it's going to be an Android year: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

PH4T wrote: »
    I would say don't get a Nokia. They are a hardware company and can't compete in the new world of software being the key. Symbian is terrible. Mameo is better but it's never gonna have the support Apple and Android have.

first post that hit the nail on the head. Long time Nokia user (currently on N82) which has AMAZING camera with xenon flash and is a great phone, but I cannot go to another nokia. Not after using the HTC HERO and the Nexus 1. Phone technology has moved on and Nokia are YEARS behind. what have they been doing? Fair enough the OP is VERY limited by his 220euro limit, but I would not change then just for the sake of changing.
    You phone is better than anything that you can get for 220euro (in Ireland, maybe in UK you could get a better deal, but not here).
    Currently waiting on delivery of a HTC desire. 1ghz chip, 3.7" AMOLED screen etc. I would not change the N82 for just another Nokia, it would need to be worth it. big step up hardware and software wise. Android is the future. Symbian is cack, and will always be on Nokia because they own it, so cannot allow themselves to bring out an open source OS like android.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I bought a new n97 mini yesterday. Looks great, the screen looks beautiful and the GPS and camera are excellent (The exact same as the N95 ;)). The keyboard is pretty good too,

But that's pretty much the only good things about the phone :(

The music player is abysmally slow compared to the one on the N95 (Which isn't exactly what I would call fast). The OS is hardly anything more than a reskinned version of the N95s with pretty unresponsive touch controls. It slowed down to a crawl after I opened more than one app.

So i've just given the phone to my dad instead. He loves it.

So technically i'm back to square one again. Sticking with my N95 8GB to see how Android matures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

What about the Nokia N82? Its got a xenon flash, same specs basically as the N95 8gb but a few tweaks and small upgrades here and there. Its cheap also.

I got a HTC Desire exactly one month after that last post.

Loving it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

why does every one say the N95 is a great phone? i never though it was..it was big ugly and slugish...

why does every one say the N95 is a great phone? i never though it was..it was big ugly and slugish...
    It's an Early 2007 phone, more than three years old now. Yet it still is being used by many people.

It was one of the very first phones to have GPS and WiFi (Besides PDA "phones"). One of the very best cameras available on any phone (Even today). Very powerful back when it was released. Couple that with it's amazing specifications (It can still hold it's own against most smartphones out today) and you'll see why everyone thinks it's a great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

N95 is still a cracking phone. I also have an iPhone 3GS but it stays at home, it just doesn't compare as a smart phone.

I'll be using the N95 for some time more until Android/Meego matures further and a device comes along with 1) bags of features 2) an infinitely better camera and 3) HD recording capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I had an N95 8GB and it was one of the best phones I ever had. I 'upgraded' to the N97 and sold it on after 3 weeks. Horrendous piece of kit.

Now using N900, haven't looked back since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

I often wonder why the Nokia N82 didnt take off really, as it has a super camera and flash, all the features of the N95 8gb, smaller, lighter, no slider, far cheaper. Strange... its one of the best phones still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Since I got an n95 my interest in new phones has kinda tapered off, I can't ever see myself needing anything else. I think even if it broke, I'd be tempted to buy another one. If you really look at what's coming out, the only improvements are in screen quality and interface, neither of which are enough to make me change. I usually have my netbook with me if i'm going away from home for the whole day or to college or something so if if I can't do what I need on my n95 i use that. For the first time in my life i feel technologically stagnant :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Since I got an n95 my interest in new phones has kinda tapered off, I can't ever see myself needing anything else. I think even if it broke, I'd be tempted to buy another one. If you really look at what's coming out, the only improvements are in screen quality and interface, neither of which are enough to make me change. I usually have my netbook with me if i'm going away from home for the whole day or to college or something so if if I can't do what I need on my n95 i use that. For the first time in my life i feel technologically stagnant :(

Me too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

funkyflea wrote: »
    I had an N95 8GB and it was one of the best phones I ever had. I 'upgraded' to the N97 and sold it on after 3 weeks. Horrendous piece of kit.

Now using N900, haven't looked back since.

Same here but instead of a N900 I went for the HTC Desire after the N97 and its a great phone, do glad I didn't stock with Nokia.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Get a HTC Desire. It's far more than just a pretty screen and interface ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Get a HTC Desire. It's far more than just a pretty screen and interface ;)

What does it do that the n95 doesn't? (I mean that in a genuinely asking way, not a smart-arsed way :) )

Advertisement