Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Fire Arms Pass

Options
  • 05-03-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Right, I now have the fire-arms that I want for the hunting that I ubdertake. A friend of mine has a large amout of land in Spain, lots of quarry there from wild goat and boar to hundreds of rabbits. I would be limited to smaller game with the 12g and the 17hmr, but there would still be plently to shoot; basically I would have most of a mountain to myself. I travel there regularly enough with him.

Anyway I thinking of applying for a EFP to allow me to bring my own firearms over there; so I'm interested in people's experience of this. I spoke to my FO about it today and he said it be not be a problem, [a benefit of this if I'm correct is that you get a ammo limit of 500 on the EFP; is this correct?].

However, I would imagine that I would be talking about a hefty investment in solid cases for both firearms, and am I correct in thinking people here have had lots of problems with airline carriers and the way the handle our fragile cargo? So what's peoples opinions on it, is it a lot of hassle to travel with your firearms? Or is it like you applying for your first licence, it seems a massive undertaking the first time but you quickly adapt to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's not a huge problem, depending on whom you fly with (some carriers won't carry firearms). The main hassle tends to be the baggage handlers destroying kit; invest in a good case (personally I use a Peli; Storm would be good too; I've seen less robust cases mangled and destroyed by handlers in Dublin and abroad). Remember that what's in the case is worth a grand or three and you're spending a lot to go anyway, so don't shy away from dropping a hundred or two on the case to protect that investment.

Do have your paperwork in order and do get there ahead of time. Carry duct tape and locks for your case, but leave it unlocked until it's inspected at baggage check-in. Once inspected, close it, lock it up, tape over the clasps with the duct tape and then it's taken over to the oversize baggage x-ray machine and onto the plane.

There are a few posts about this on here from a while back:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055464360

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

+1 on a peli case. Use one for both rifle and pistol.

A tip is to disassemble as much as you can - depending on what you are carrying of course. Some airline handlers look to see if you have dismanted the firearm.

Remember this when you are cutting the foam or adjusting the foam in the case.

Advertisement